How balsy did they have to be to outright discard classical mechanics?

how balsy did they have to be to outright discard classical mechanics?

Pretty fucking balsy.

what the fuck are you talking about? they WERE classical physicists. one of the best. That's why they were able to realize its faults.

Planck came up with an ad hoc solution to an otherwise intractable problem. It was arbitrary and Planck himself did not, initially, believe quanta were real, It was just a mathematical trick.
Quantum mechanics did not leap into existence full-blown. It developed over a decade or two and wound up convincing (nearly) everybody because it explained observed phenomena which no other theory could.
Even today, I don't think anybody "really" understands it. Somebody (Feynman?) said that anyone who claimed he DID understand was either lying or deluded.

Nearly 100 years later and classical mechanics are still used by every engineer and practical physicist, and quantum mechanics has produced nothing of worth. Why is this trash still studied?

Because it produced solid-state electronics.
Which you're using to waste our time.

>Even today, I don't think anybody "really" understands it. Somebody (Feynman?) said that anyone who claimed he DID understand was either lying or deluded.
Of course many people understand it just as many people understand classical mechanics. Yes, Feynman said that but many people disagree with him. Quantum kooks love that quote, though.

>Somebody (Feynman?) said that anyone who claimed he DID understand was either lying or deluded.
Yes, he said that 60 years ago.
Nowadays we have a good theoretical foundation via quantum logic and everything follows from there.

Many people can do the math. You and I may disagree on what "understand" means. QM is completely different from anything which happens in the macroworld. We can only make analogies to waves and particles. The mantra is "shut up and calculate!"

That's not Heisenberg.

Most physicists worth their salt will tell you that you cannot truly understand it. Susskind for example says that it is impossible to have any kind of intuition for a quantum system.
Being good at the math is not having intuition for it, or understanding it.

In this case >You and I may disagree on what "understand" means

Are you literally retarded?

>QM is completely different from anything which happens in the macroworld.
only in your imagination though

Yeah because macro scale objects often behave like waves and particles at the same time, this is perfectly normal and within our everyday experiences and not at all incomprehensibly bizarre.

>Most physicists worth their salt will tell you that you cannot truly understand it.
isn't this a proof that quantum mechanic is wrong?
if the level of ass pull in a theory became out of control, shouldn't we ditch that theory as failure and start from scratch?

Well if that's how things work...

we had to reach a point where things stop being consistent with our preconceived notion of the world, namely the atomic scale of things and what happens with them
it all seems illogical because we don't really deal with these kinds of things on a regular human experience
our intuition is limited by what we perceive as humans, but at some point we have to consider there are illogical things out there as well
besides the whole quantum mechanics world was built on the failure of classical mechanics applied to atomic and subatomic systems, it's not like it's not real

>throw away a century's worth of successful scientific literature because brainlets think it's too confusing

Every time I make up some shit to explain a theory I get called a kook. Why was cat man allowed to get away with it?

>I present to you: an equation that turns matter into waves
the biggest hack in the science industry no joke

Because he was the kook leader.