Has browsing this board made you more knowledgeable in the very broad field of science?

Has browsing this board made you more knowledgeable in the very broad field of science?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.00/joan2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if i take the time to read out a well written thread yeah. depends on the lurkers reading comprehension

Not science but the academia. The only science there's to learn here is the science of shitposting about science. Overall, my experience have been positive. I wouldn't spend another 5 years of my life here but I don't regret the time I lost until now

>academy
Fixed.

Yes. I was a complete newbie had people instruct me on what to focus on.

Took me from being a hs drop out to getting a scholarship.

story?

bump

Never happened

i've learned a touch of advanced math from lurking here over the years. not enough to actually do math research but enough to read some of the mid-difficulty wikipedia articles and not be wholly lost

It has introduced me to Shadman and I am a better person for it. That alone is pretty smart. I'm sure there's some scientific reason behind it. I haven't found it yet, but I'm researching hard.

>Shadman

source?

It has reminded me to get back to the basics. I wouldn't have noticed that I've forgotten the simple operations hierarchy if it weren't for those "3x2+3-2x4 only genius solve this" threads.

>Thought I'd become smarter by osmosis just by browsing this board
>Instead just become knowledgeable in meaningless science memes

Sneedman

>shadman

Google, "Shadman" and go through his gallery to find it.

Nice way to spend your weekend.

yes, never would have guessed 0.999... = 1 is so problematic and meaningful

how the fuck is is 0.99 1 you dumbass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

It isn't.

>a middle school question

mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.00/joan2.html

Using that logic means that 0.111... = 1. Then again, you can make up any bullshit you want with math. Because that's how math works.

you making up bullshit proves nothing

lol 1/9=1
how stupid are you?

0.999... isn't a number to begin with, it's useless. A number needs a beginning and an end. Not a beginning but no end.

>A number needs a beginning and an end
m-muh feelings

Got an argument?

no :(

The only positive from this board was how to score easy pdf's of books online. Saved me some money. Other than that I also learned math and physics majors have an obsession with engineers.

do you?

π

samefag

If 0.999... = 1
then 0.888... = 0.999...
and 0.111... = 0.222..

So, 0.111... = 1

Also, 3.14 actually = 4

bs proving nothing

The first step is incorrect. You subtracted 0.1000... from the left hand side and 0.010... from the right hand side.

Err, subtracted 0.1111... from LHS and something other than that from RHS. (subtracting an equal amount from 1 yields 0.8888). Your algebra is wrong.

It is correct using my person axiom, kids.

your Nobel is in the mail

Pi beyond a few digits is useless and not used for anything.

your brain is not used for anything

I've learned a lot about genetics, let's just put it that way.

Saved me from the suffering of being a pipette bitch for the remainder of my life by changing majors.

Surely you mean 0.00...1 = 1

Your move goal point. You lose

care to share your knowledge?

um, no. there's a reason 0.999... = 1.
1/3 = 0.333...
what's 0.333... x 3? that's right, 0.999... which = 9/9 which = 1. there's other arguments that prove it more convincingly but that's the simplest proof. they're just two different ways of expressing the same mathematical concept. it's called an infinitely converging series.

9/9 should be 3/3, my bad.

The board has only made me angrier with abundance of pointless arguments of meme images.

This board cured cancer, but it sure as hell bored the fuck out of me and caused some serious problems in the process.

/a/ was not a mistake, Veeky Forums was.

>This board cured cancer
sauce?

Soy sauce?

Social science