Is this meme worth it? Will they make decent tomato sauce that doesn't require the addition of wine, carrots, or sugar?

Is this meme worth it? Will they make decent tomato sauce that doesn't require the addition of wine, carrots, or sugar?

Yeah, you can skip the sugar for sure. A little wine never hurts though.

Use Contadina for an authentic Italian taste

I'd like to know as well, they're hard to get hold of in england. I won't bother if they're only marginally better than using fresh.

I'm sure wine wouldn't hurt. But would the sauce be too acidic without it? That's the question. I want to know if these tomatoes will produce a flavoruful and balanced sauce with only onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and maybe some herbs for flavoring.

Most tomatoes aren't good enough to manage this; the sauce will be too acidic and will need to be mellowed out with sugar/wine/some other sweetener. Are San Marzanos any different in this regard?

Yes. Even canned they are great. Much sweeter.

Just go low and slow nigga.

I have 2 cans of this. How do I make a decent italian dish? I have garlic, onion, parsely flakes, dried oregano, basil, "italian seasoning" and ground beef I guess.

Every recipe online is different.

>Every recipe online is different.
I'd post a recipe but I'm sure it would confuse you because it doesn't match the others online.

Does this actually confuse you for some reason? Are you surprised that there are countless different methods of making a dish?

Let's try anyother angle: do you ever ask yourself what kind of music you should listen to but get confused because everyone else has a different playlist?

Pick something that sounds good to you. Try it out. If there are problems then try to figure out what went wrong so you can fix that the next time.

It's not rocket science. Brown your meat. Add your crushed tomatoes. Simmer it for a while, season it to taste. Not much more to say really.

EVERY FUCKINGN MARINARA RECIPE IS DIFFERENT

ONIONS, NO ONIONS, HERBS, NO HERBS. ONE SAYS NOT TO USE GARLIC FOR FUCKS SAKE

I DIDN'T GOOGLE 'ITALIAN DISHES' AND GET CONFUSED. THE SAME NAMED DISH HAS DIFFERENT RECIPES

I can make shitty ground beef and crushed tomatoes. I was asking for the expert opinion here. How to properly make a red sauce. "Season to taste" doesn't tell me if I should use or not use basil, oregano or 'italian seasoning."

Smug nigger.

Extra virgin olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and basil at the end. You'll likely need a wee bit of salt too. Keep it simple. You didn't spend extra on good tomatoes to mask their flavour.

I like to add the step of catmelizing onion and waking up garlic in the fat before adding tomatoes and spices. Otherwise this...

>THE SAME NAMED DISH HAS DIFFERENT RECIPES
Yes, and? Why does this confuse you? OFC the same named dishes have different recipes. Online you have all sorts of people: those who know what they're doing. Those that don't but publish recipes anyway. Those that publish their personal preferences. And so on.

>> "Season to taste" doesn't tell me if I should use or not use basil, oregano or 'italian seasoning."
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but the reason why I said "season to taste" instead of "put in 1/2 teaspoon of X" is because:
1) Any sort of dry herb, spice, or ingredient is going to vary in flavor depending on its freshness, how finely ground it is, and how potent it was in the first place when it was grown/picked. Therefore it's silly to rely on exact measurements because those will change depending on what spices you have. Suppose I tell you to use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. If you have some really old or cheap shitty stuff then 1 teaspoon might not be enough. If you have some unusually good, strong, garlic powder then that 1 teaspoon could be far too much.

2) Different people have different preferences. Some people like a lot of basil, some don't.

....telling you to "season to taste" accounts for both your personal likes/dislikes as well as the potency of your spices.

>>I was asking for the expert opinion here. How to properly make a red sauce.
Come back when you have fresh herbs and spices.

As far as the stuff you have? Like I said, brown your ground beef. Add tomatoes. How much tomato to add? Depends on what you want. If you want a lot of meat in your sauce just add a little. If you want it to be more tomatoey then add more.

Oh and if you want herbs and spices.. In order of most to least I guess

Basil
Oregano
Thyme
Salt
Rosemary? (I like it in moderation)
Pepper
Marjoram

Jesus christ, you're a fucking retard

How about you cook yourself up a noose instead, dipshit

Wildly different recipes. I asked here because I wanted to know the good way using what I had instead of picking a recipe at random and getting shit.

I never asked for measurements. I asked for a basic guideline and ingredients. Obviously, measurements are going to differ. You just wanted to be smug and you ended up wasting no ones time but your own. All it would have taken was a sentence.

Thank you.

Every recipe had wildly different ingredients. Sauce without any garlic? Obviously, they would differ somewhat but for such a simple sauce, it shouldn't vary that much. I thought I could ask here and get a quick answer. I asked simply and nicely and got shit.

Marcella Hazans basic tomato sauce

1 can San marzanos
1 onion, halved
5 Tb butter
Pinch of salt

Put all that shit in a pot and simmer for 45 minutes

OP you have a tongue, why don't you taste the damn sauce after adding each ingredient?

what is this communist russia? where are the ingredients?

>NO HERBS
I find this hard to believe.

Hence the basic

>I wanted to know the good way using what I had instead of picking a recipe at random and getting shit.
How is that any different from getting a recipe from a random online here?

>> You just wanted to be smug
Not at all. I'm not trying to be an ass here.

>>All it would have taken was a sentence
I already gave you one.

>>It's not rocket science. Brown your meat. Add your crushed tomatoes. Simmer it for a while, season it to taste. Not much more to say really.

>Obviously, they would differ somewhat but for such a simple sauce, it shouldn't vary that much.
You really are an idiot. Yes, it varies that much. That's the nature of online recipes.

Pro-tip: Even Sicilian grandmothers don't agree on anything in their food. There is no law in italian cooking. These threads inherit that mentality. Next time, just see what every recipe seems to have in common and do that as a base. Experiment, taste, refine and see what you like. I put a half cup parm in my sauce and everyone loves it.

And a step I try to never skip. A splash of dry white wine to finish off the onions and garlic before adding tomato & herbs. Night and day. Let simmer till it's no longer watery and serve

onions are sweet enough as they are. stick a carrot in there if you want to bump it up without adding more onion

There was all kinds of stupid recipes. That's why I think I'm getting all this shit. None of you read the recipes I had to.

I'll do this.

I have no problem experimenting I just wanted the simplest base to start with.

>There is no law in italian cooking
Fucking this.
And it's not limited to Italian either. Ever see the shitstorm that erupts when people talk about beans vs. no beans in chili? I have literally seen two Frenchmen get in a fistfight over whether or not cassoluet should contain goose.

>I had to.
Who did this to you, user? Who hurt you?

italians will piss in their sauce just to have a rarer "special ingredient".