1. Favorite Author

1. Favorite Author

2. Favorite Author when people ask you "favorite author?"

d-delete this...

Tolstoy

Tolstoy

>Reading all this literature and still being insecure about things like this.

I don't have a favorite favorite but

Borges - A Universal History of Iniquity
Dick - VALIS
Faulkner - Light in August

I know the Borges pick isn't everyone's favorite but it was a revelation when I first read it.

1. John Greene
2. David Foster Wallace

>salinger
>salinger

1. Borges

2. Flannery O'Connor

Oh I misread skimmed and thought it said favorite work. Any of those three and any of those three. Nothing to be insecure aobut

I feel as if I haven't read enough to claim a favorite. I suppose Vonnegut, though it's because he got me into reading, not because he's a current favorite.

1. Virginia Woolf
2. Thomas Pynchon

James Joyce
James Joyce/Faulkner

Homer
Ovid

Smart, but aren't you worried people will think you're a Christo

1) Robert Burton; Thomas Browne

2) Donald Barthelme; Saul Bellow

1. Charles Dickens
2. Charles Dickens

What is the best Dickens novel

Bleak House imo. David Copperfield was Dickens' own favorite.

I am a Christo

Fair enough. I'm actually a fan of O'Connor's stuff, especially Wise Blood and her later stories

1. david foster wallace
2. david foster wallace

>not Our Mutual Friend

1. Joyce
2. Joyce/Tolstoy

lol

i mean kek

1. Ellis Bell
2. Charlotte Bronte

I meant Emily Bronte

lmao nobody asks me who my favourite author is

Thomas Hardy

Gass
Joyce

Nice save

Kafka, for both

same
The Tunnel just arrived in my mail. Stoked

Nick Land

George Orwell

It's fucking incredible

Same as him.

1. David Nicholls
2. Evelyn Waugh

Hitler
Evola

1. Borges

2. It wouldn't even occur to me to lie or come up with another answer.
Is this wrong, or an indication of autism and some inability to grasp unspoken social rules?
What is the function of having a second answer here?

Joyce
Joyce

Do you make a habit of lying to people when they ask question about yourself op?

Not that I remember ever being asked

Hamsun
Hamsun

>1. Favorite Author
>picking just one favorite author

>2. Favorite Author when people ask you "favorite author?"
I say I have a few who are favorites for different reasons, in particular Borges, Dostoyevsky, Lem, and Wallace

>9441188
1. Ann coulter

2. Margret Atwood

The function of a second answer is usually naming someone who is at least slightly familiar to the other person (mostly people not that into literature) so you won't be sure the answer will be "hmm, never heard of him/her"
Alternatively, this may actually be your aim to score some obscurity points ; ^)

>1. Favorite Author
Someone I, an average Veeky Forums pseud, have heard of and mention here so people will be impressed

>2. Favorite Author when people ask you "favorite author?"
Someone I mention so I can show Veeky Forums that I'm better than everyone else. I certainly don't (tell the board I) tell people Stephen King

1. The Prophet Muhammad
2. The Apostle Paul

John Hawkes for both. No, I don't care that 99% of people who'd ask this IRL haven't heard of him.

Proust
Proust

Melville

Melville

What would you really gain by lying?

Is OP's favorite author Rowling? If it is, just own that shit. You can be well read, and still enjoy something pleb.

Apostate
You, not Paul

Kierkegaard or Browne

I'll say them if the person is interesting, otherwise I'll say I don't have one.

Barth
Nabokov

1. Don't have one.
2. Mateiu Caragiale

1. (Unsure, could be any good modernist really)
2. Hemingway

I try to affect some semblance of masculinity.

What did you like about the Universal History?

spoiler

Same here user

1. Cioran
2. Cioran

Now go back to rk9

1. Amelia Bassano
2. Shakespeare

Not him, but I also loved it. I think it was the first story in the collection, the one about the man who "emancipated" the slaves, only to have actually double crossed them, that I thought was exceptional. What a great start to a collection.

UHI had a tragic/doomed tone that I hadn't really read before in any short stories, which when combined with Borges' precision and lucidity made for a terrific read(s).

I had the Penguin Collected Fictions edition that has all his short stories and I probably read them all in less than a week. I wish there were more, I'll eventually get around to reading his poetry.

1. Joyce

2. Joyce

I might be lying, though, about n. 1; after all, you did *ask me* "favourite author," and you are, I presume, a person; so I could be telling you my "favourite" (who is not really my favorite), because this is the response I give when people ask me "favourite author," as you did in n.1.

1. Hawthorne
2. Melville

*Eva

it's fucking agressive is what it is