What classes are you taking this semester anons? What are you looking forward to the most? The least?

What classes are you taking this semester anons? What are you looking forward to the most? The least?

Personally, Im taking:
-Plant Physiology
-Linear Algebra
-Environment and Society
-History 101
Im studying abroad this semester, so of course my courseload is a lot lighter than Im used to. I'm really excited for plant phys and linear algebra, because I'm trying to figure out if I want to go into plant synthetic biology or not. Im really dreading history though.

How about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

chaosbook.org
ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-03-physics-iii-spring-2003/
escinf.una.ac.cr/index.php/oferta-academica/bachillerato/plan-de-estudios-ing-sistemas
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sorry, but if you want to go into plant physiology, why linear algebra? Just curious about the logic since I know your school isn't requiring that as a biology course. Just curiosity for the subject or?

remote sensing
advanced raster gis
environmental assessment
environmental catastrophes
environmental systems modelling

environmental assessment is gonna suck
environmental systems modelling is gonna be awesome

Well, synthetic biology, at least on a surface level, seems to be pretty math heavy, so I just want to be sure to take as many math classes as I can to help develop my skills.
It is also partially for curiosity

Ah, gotcha. Didn't want to sound accusatory or something, was just wondering. Not every day you see a bio major doing linear algebra

This next semester will be my last. I'm a chemist and I'll be taking
>senior seminar
>German grammar (4th level class)
>Japanese history
>early medieval philosophy
>contemporary moral problems (philosophy)

In order of most to least excited about
>Modern algebra
>Cryptography
>Differential geometry
>Topology if it doesn't get cancelled due to university/department politics
>2nd semester of real analysis

(basics of) linguistics and psycholinguistics
physiological psychology
general psychology 2

was undecided between linguistics & psycholinguistics and groups social psychology but I need to start working and ling is a lighter course, I'll probably take groups social psy in one or two semesters
looks pretty baffling to me how in the US you can take pretty much any class you want, from algebra to history, whatever your main subject is

Calc 2
Combinatorics
Physics II

Looking forward to Physics II the most and Calc II the least.

>African Oral Literature
>Public speaking
>Music appreciation
>Microeconomics
>The stupid kids calc class

I-I'm gonna make it, r-right goys?

Most excited to least excited

Derivative Securities
Econometrics II
Microeconomics III
Corporate finance

what the fuck are you studying lmao

Mechanics II
Intermediate lab II
Photovoltaics (1 credit elective)
German IV
Advanced calc II
Combinatorics

Combinatorical biology is a relatively new field. I kind of thought that would be fun to go into

2nd semester in 1st year , got to skip physics 1,2 and calc 1 thanks to ap credits.

Calc 2
Digital systems 1
Discrete math
Computing II (java)
Data structures and algorithms

>brainlet math

Phys 2
Calc 2
Micro econ
Latin 2

This semester:
Thesis
Advanced Particle Physics
Advanced Nuclear Physics
Chaos and Dynamical Systems
Nanoscale Physics and Technologies

Might try to sit in on Modelling of Functional Materials and Interfaces if I can muster up any free time

This term:
Differential equations
Discrete math
Mathematics of Digital Signal Processing II
Mathematics of the HRTF
And two project courses

>java
Disgusting

>Java
Oh don't make me remember plz

This cannot be real
Nobody pays for this as education

If its any consolation, im a biochemistry major, which has a little more math in it.

Are you on a trimester schedule if you are only taking 3 classes?

what field are you interested in going into?

>Linear Algebra
>Multivariable Calculus
>Discrete Math
>Sociology (a graduation requirement)

I just got my PhD offer from IBM + my uni on Machine learning to predict Ferroelectric organics... fought hard to get it, and I cried a little when I saw the acceptance email this weekend after being up vs so many other candidates...

>American uni
>gen eds

FeelsRealFuckingBadMan

>Classical Mechanics II
>Electrodynamics
>Graduate Nonlinear Dynamics
>Special Topics class called Physics on the Back of an Envelope
>Senior Seminar
>Research
Gonna be a rough ride lads

Signal processing and learning about hearing (if I looked up the correct "HRTF" acronym), what are you studying user?
Good job m8, you're gonna make it. Also your chaos class sounds really similar to my nonlinear class. The professor teaching mine is a big theorist in the field and is obsessed with making the textbook he wrote freely accessible to everybody. I can post a link if you'd be interested in reading it, I've only gotten through the first chapter or so but it seems good so far.

>engineering analysis 3
>Numerical methods
>Electronics 2
>Microprocessing systems
>Modern physics with quantum mechanics.

>Classical Mechanics II
Got my Classical Mechanics Exam tomorrow...
Protips?
>Electrodynamics
Memorise Maxwells, EM waves in all situations, and EM relativity tensors - should be ok, gl&hf
>Textbook
Yes please, 100% mate
And yeah, thanks man :)

Quick story because, why not:
>Aced GCSEs, no revision A*s for days
>Started A-levels
>Asked what I wanted to do in my future
>"Get a PhD, go into research"
>First A level Exams...
>Flunk all except Physics pretty badly
>Oshit.txt Activate the grind.
>Spend rest of Alevels doing resit+that semester exams every single time
>Final: Get A/C/C but uni takes me in anyway
>Choose BSc because nohope now
>Resign to becoming a teacher
>Everybody around me exponentially more clever than me
>Time to git gud
>FFW 2 years
>Advisor suggests I move to Masters because Im doing well
> Hope.avi
>Power through and FFW 2yrs
>PhD offer of my dreams
Dreams can come true.

post textbook please. not him but im interested in chaos related to plasmas

>Did all my GE classes first
>Now all of my classes are STEM and labs back to back for 9 fucking hours straight
WAKE ME UP INSIDE

chaosbook.org
I don't know how much related to plasmas is in there but his department is supposed to be one of the best on nonlinear dynamics in the world. He's a crazy Croatian theorist and I just started doing lab work with an experimentalist here also doing nonlinear dynamics.
There's a link on the site to actually get all of the coursework for the class (nothing but writing programs, no exams or anything) on a Piazza page and go through it with an autograder. You can ask questions on Piazza and he'll answer them too.

This is ace;
Gonna give it a read when I get a chance
Ty user

If you write all of the programs, get them autograded, and finish the "class" with at least a 60%, he'll mail you some kind of certificate saying you did it.
Apparently our university was really pissed off that he's doing this because they see it as a distance learning money-making opportunity and he's morally opposed to that so he refused to charge for it. He implied that they told him to shut it down and he just told them he did.

well organized. plus youtube videos and shit. thanks user

Pre-calc
Intro to Engineering

Starting towards a second bachelors.

I work full time in IT right now.

I have a very hard semester ahead of me:
Statics
Signals and Systems
Physics III
Microelectronics
Embedded Systems

He sounds like a top lad
I'm definitely considering doing it then; Might as well go for the certificate seen as it seems to tie into a lot of areas I'll already be covering!

>Physics III
What the hell do they put in that that could be relevant to an engineer

As an electrical engineer waves are fairly important I think.

Is it electrodynamics, then? I've never seen numbered physics courses beyond I for basic kinematics and II for basic electromagnetism

Hmmm... just guesses but:
Condensed Matter
ElectroMagnetism
Wave mechanics
Thermodynamics
Classical Mechanics
I mean these all seem potentially relevant to an engi

Freshman second semester here

>Calculus based Physics I + Lab
>Calculus II
>Some random engineering writing class
>Intro to Computer Modeling for Engineers
>Intro to Accounting

Not bad overall, since I can't take more major specific classes until math and physics are taken. I plan on acquiring my degree in Industrial Engineering first then maybe snagging a minor if I feel like it. Otherwise I might just go on a Co-op rotation.

The class is called Oscillations and Waves. Like the MIT course: ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-03-physics-iii-spring-2003/

Numerical Linear Algebra
Computational Chemistry
Advanced Scientific Computing

t. PhD Student in CSE

>Concurrency
>Numerical Methods
>Applied linalg
>Network optimization
ezpz
going to smoke weed all semester

>hard
>applied physics
boi do i got news for u

why are you taking accounting

Now now....
as long as he's not going full engineer and going
pi = 3

Is linear algebra used in biology? Just to curious to know, I don't know much about biology.

>calc 2
>linear algebra
>intro to group theory
>combinatorics
>physics 2
>lab 1

Not a bio kid at all but I do remember going to a talk a few years ago from somebody who worked in epidemiology for the CDC that mentioned using tons of linear algebra every day.

if you are doing genetics or bacteria work, for sure. idk about other fields

interesting to know. what for?

ODE's
Organic Chem
Caluclus
Special Relatvity/intro quantum
Real Analysis
Biochem

Real analysis will tear my ass

lin alg is useful for simple models of things like bacterial dynamics. how they grow, spread etc

whats your major? math?
i cant think of a reason to take sp relativity and biochem

>real analysis
>o chem
Godspeed, my friend

>Signal processing and learning about hearing (if I looked up the correct "HRTF" acronym), what are you studying user?
Computer science with an emphasis in digital audio (+math/physics minor if you want to count that). If I'm lucky I'll be the guy working on hard VR/AR questions (virtual occlusion of real audio sources and crazy stuff like that), if I'm unlucky, I'll be the guy working on hearing-aid software. If you happen to have an interest in acoustics and some C/C++ knowledge, audio programming is in demand right now and (in my opinion) one of the more interesting things you can do as a programmer

Not everyone goes to a brainlet uni, buddy.

This mate giving me strength right here.

Computer Science I
Calculus I
Microeconomics
Philosophy I

From most exciting to least exciting
Econometrics I
Risk Theory
Data Mining
Stochastic Modelling
Mathematical Economics I
Databases
Empirical Project

>linear algebra
>programming II
>Data structures
>computer architecture

was does /sci think of my semester. im in Costa Rica

This is what my classes looked like before I switched from a Cert to an actual Degree. Take some liberal arts classes if you can if only unironically because there aren't any women in STEM classes.

I think you should get some better roads

>7 classes

what draws the line between a cert and an actual degree?
here this is an actual degree

Intro to perverse sheaves
Etale fundamental group
Intersection theory
Model theory of algebraic groups

>5 from the normal curriculum, 2 extra

He may be larping but I've taken 6 classes before (nearly killed me though)

An actual degree focuses one one aspect, but teaches you a well rounded education which includes Math, Reading/Writing, Critical Thinking (Philosophy and Logic) on top of your preferred degree while a Cert merely contains the core classes needed to land an entry level job somewhere.

RELS170: Greek and Roman Mythology
PHYS411: Electrodynamics
PHYS441: Nuclear and Particle Physics
MATH404: Field Theory
MATH734: Algebraic Topology

if you can, take a look at this
escinf.una.ac.cr/index.php/oferta-academica/bachillerato/plan-de-estudios-ing-sistemas
and tell me what you think, id appreciate it

Also the semester is split up into 3 blocks here, so it's just 3 courses for 8 weeks then another 3 for 8 weeks and then the project for 4 weeks

Data Structures
Programming Languages
Graph Theory
Databases
Architecture and Organization of a Computer

R8 me:

>Intro proof class
>Intro programming class (Java)
>Complex Analysis

fascinating stuff but your asshole is going to be inside-out before the end of the semester

would ba...
>java
0/10

lin alg 2
analysis 2
physics 2
computational physics

7/11

Yeah, they're almost all back to back too. I have class from 8 to 3:30 with a single one houe break in between.

**houe
All 5 classes in one day. Only 2 days a week though but still

lol that's difficult but bearable. you have five free days to do all that work. just keep fucking off to an absolute minimum. i hope you don't have a part-time job or anything...

btw how is crypt? i was considering specializing in that after my math BS, via a MS in applied mathematics

Yeah the only work I'll be doing is grading papers. I don't start school until next week. I'm looking forward to the class though, it has never been offered before at my school. I like number theory a lot. The textbook we'll be using is An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography by Hoffstein and Pipher, if you're interested.

Calc 2
Applied Linear Algebra
Dynamics
Intro to Matlab
Chem II

If it wasn't obvious, I'm an eng cuck.

Where do you guys get your textbook torrents? Are there any sites other than libgen?
I'm looking for Information Systems Today: Managing the Digital World 7th edition. Can only find 5th and 8th.

Thank you. I haven't actually taken number theory yet but it's on my to-do. I actually own that textbook but a lot of it goes over my head because I still haven't taken number theory.

Anyways good luck user. If you get down, just remember what I always tell myself: 'dumber than you have made A's in that class, the law of averages guarantees it.'

>misread as plant psychology
>picture user straining his forehead in an attempt to manipulate the movement of a flower

*dumber people

try asking in the stupid questions general thread. more people check there

Thanks famalam, wasn't sure where to post it

Thanks man. If you want to get into number theory I recommend Stark's elementary number theory book. I also used Burton's book at first and that was pretty good.

Artificial Intelligence
Advanced Computational Linguistics
Speech Technology

r8

2nd-semester linear algebra/real analysis
Modern Political Philosophy
Into to CS II
dunno the last one

-Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
-Biochemistry
-Survey of Organic Named Reactions
-Electricity and Magnetism
-Wave Phenomena
Then I'm going to either TA for o-chem or get credit by exam for "discrete math and intro to proofs" so i can take analysis next semester. Haven't decided which yet.
My research advisor is teaching named reactions and it's a graduate course, so that's what I'm most excited about. There are seven of us: one PhD and three masters' candidates, and then three undergrads (including me) from his lab.
I took a grad course in spec ID last semester but it was kind of a disappointment

Principles of Chemistry 1
Composition
Calculus 2
Computer Science 2
Discrete Math

Doesn't look to bad since it's just first year undergrad shit but I don't wanna get cocky

>AP Calc BC
>APUSH
>AP Physics Mech
>AP Physics E.M

-Intro to Electrical Systems 1
-Engineering Analysis (Basically Linear Algebra which I'm salty about since I took a Linear Algebra class already, but it only applies to my minor, not my major)
-Differential Equations
-Analysis 1
The only class I have any interest in this semester is Analysis. The other classes are literal jokes.
>Electrical Engineering and Math minor

Calculus III
Organic Chemistry I
Crystallography
Quantitative Analysis: Theory & Practice
Fundamental Inorganic Chemistry
Exploratory Data Analysis in Chemistry
Mathematics Applied to Chemistry

shit sux yo

one of those is not like the others