How do I preform the functions of sin, cos and tan without a calculator?

How do I preform the functions of sin, cos and tan without a calculator?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series
amazon.com/Marks-Standard-Handbook-Mechanical-Engineers/dp/0071428674
www2.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/compute.html
johndcook.com/blog/2014/11/23/compute-trig-tables/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Taylor expansions

Back in my day we had books filled with tables of that shit.

Just compute an infinite sum, unless you are a wilderjew, then sin doesn't exist

With shifts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

draw a unit circle

slide rule

sin(x)=x
cos(x)=x+π/2

Care to elaborate?

How did you use these? I've heard they exist but can't find anything on how these books were used

The books were filled with simple tables for roots, sines, cosines, logs etc. I'd scan a few pages for you to see but I'm away from home during work days. There are samples of them online like pic related.

Taylor expansions are ezpz, you'll probably cover them in first year maths/physics

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

Tnanks man, I do maths for fun/hobby but yeah I have seen the use of sin in physics equations and I prefer to do my equations by hand, rather than relying on other tools you know?

What are these books actually called? That way I will be able to find some?

And how did the books calculate them?

There were books just called "trig tables"
They were also included in books like
amazon.com/Marks-Standard-Handbook-Mechanical-Engineers/dp/0071428674
I can't swear the current edition still contains them. Calculators are so common, they may have been dropped.
But you can find trig tables and Mark's (maybe not the latest edition) online as PDFs.

How was it done? Tediously!
www2.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/compute.html

Here's another method from long ago.
johndcook.com/blog/2014/11/23/compute-trig-tables/

>not using a slide rule

sin(x)=0

I always just did it in my head. How precise do you need to be here? Are we sending a man to Mars or just building rafters?

Sending a man to mars and beyond

Just draw a triangle with the appropriate angle.

Here's another comfy "by hand" table for EE calculations. It was used back when calculators weren't readily available in field work.

They are ratios. They can be calculated. Calculating them for precise angles is tedious That's why That's why Icharus invented calculators. But he calculated too close to infinity and alas his calculator made of wax and bird feathers erred him into an imaginary number.

Have you got a reference?

Functions of sin are known to be easier than those others without a calculator. All you need is to place candles in the shape of a pentagram and have massive orgies around them. While this is happening, place a paper with the angle you want to find the sin of in the center of the pentagram, and wait for tue full moon. As the full moon hits, everybody will simultaneously and instantaneously climax, and the combined energy will convert the paper into the answer which you seek.

Good luck friend

this is how calculators do trig computations, but it's very difficult for us to do that in our heads

think i'm wrong? do sin(2pi/5) using 2 iterations of cordic and show your work

Nah bro satan is responding at the moment anyone have hi no. ?

>boomers think they're superior because they used shit like this instead of muh computers

In Statistics, we used something just like that for the normal distribution because even calculators today are too retarded to compute a fucking integral.

I just want to know what process the computer is doing to achieve this

Check out the chapter on root finding in a numerical methods textbook.

Some computers just use Newton's method, others like MATLAB, Mathematica, WolframAlpha, and TI calculators use proprietary algorithms which are probably just optimized versions of one of the techniques you'll find in that textbook.

Achieve what?

preforming the function sin

See

6th order Taylor series and exploiting the natural symmetries of the function.

Note Horner's method on the bottom right.

That's way too inefficient

That's what calculators use , dumbass

No they don't.

most computers use the cordic algorithm
it works by taking a table of angles and rotating or shifting

Kek I'm 27 and I don't think it's superior, I think it's fascinating how something became so obsolete and forgotten knowledge.

Only 27?! I've never heard of these books before so I considered them almost ancient

I'm 60 and am thankful I don't have to carry a trig table anymore.

Don't

>How do I preform the functions of sin, cos and tan without a calculator?

motherfucking tedium

Is there a way to actually do this with just trig?

See

taylor expansion

Your hand is a tool

I do my calculations mentally
Even without numbers, since they are a tool as well

Your mind is a tool. My calculations are done before I start doing them.

brainlet solution:

ruler, angle grader and a compass

You are a tool. I made all x before you solved them.

T A Y L O R
S E R I E S
B O Y S

I'm 29 and I was still using various math tables in HS.

Small angle approx generalized, I like it. Its like qft trying to explain macro scale results.

Nice meem, faggot.

> faggot
Why the homophobia?

Why the non-homophobia, faggot?

>Posts the exact same thing in every thread when someone says faggot, never contributes anything else

> Posts homophobic things in every thread, never contributes anything else

such a reddit chain of replies

suck my dick, faggot

>Wasn't even the person you were responding to

Can still make the valid observation that you never contribute anything but "Why the homophobia". This is how often you post this shit my man.