About to make some shrimp and sausage gumbo....brb, im gonna start chopping this shit up

About to make some shrimp and sausage gumbo....brb, im gonna start chopping this shit up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js
emerils.com/127540/chicken-and-smoked-sausage-gumbo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

interesting

Gonna render this sausage in the pan first

Don't fuck it up

I don't see any stock. Are you making your own?

I'm actually making gumbo tonight too, but I am doing roast duck and andouille.

>roast duck and andouille
that made me tingle a bit...like when i used to climb the ropes in gym

>thicc

Looking and smelling pretty good

Got my trinity done, hope my fuckin pot is gonna be big enough bros

That looks like a lot, how much of the celery did you chop up?

The whole stalk.

Garlic and the 'peno is done also.

Is it only supposed to be 25% celery?

Hope I didnt work myself into a corner...im gonna only use a 1/2 cup of flour because im not sure about the pots size.

Sausage out, and in goes the flour and equal parts vegetable oil.

Also lowered the heat....time to sip a beer

Might want to use a little less celery IMO or else you're going to risk it being overpowering in the completed dish. I typically use 2 ribs at most.

No fuckin clue desu senpai.

Heres the roux before...now we wait and stir

Its going well. Those little bits arent burnt flour...its just what the sausage left behind from rendering. The heat is really low

You live in Texas and shop at HEB?

I party hard when I make gumbo

HEB is the shit, and yea. TXfag here

>putting money where you chop your veggies
disgusting, please continue

not OP. fellow texasfag here. fucken love HEB. love going on saturday for the "samples"

Do people really do these cook-along threads live or do they take all the pictures first and pretend like they're doing it live?

Could you give the recipe you're using? Also I've never cooked gumbo before, how hard is it?

OP here...time stamp.

Its not hard at all....the roux is the tricky part. If you burn it, you have to start over. Really really low heat is the key, and stirring like every minute. I just drink beer and stand by my stove and chill while I do it. To me its comfy

Getting darker

Not sure why my damn pictures keep rotating, sry for the sore necks

Time to add the trinity and let it sweat for about 15-20 minutes

What do you do for a living?

Doesnt look like much right now...I also turned the heat up to about medium low

Time for some seasoning....i always add a little more at the end after a few hours of cooking

Sausage, tomatoes, and a cap full of crab boil in. Added water, now We bring to a simmer and reduce. I will return....

Woops

Update

I live in TX, can you share some?

Yea why not

I live in Austin, where do you live.

Will there be sea salt added or is there enough sodium from all the ingredients?

Thread making my mouth water even though I just ate

Not OP but here to rep Austin

I live on Parmer near I-35, you?

The tony chachereas has enough salt for me. I guess it depends on how you choose your spices.

Don't do it, this guy is gonna make clothing out of your skin.

1lb of gulf shrimp going in. Gonna turn the heat way down and let em cook slowly

Why did this take so long to cook? Your entire house must reek of gumbo by now...

Kek

Did you measure by weight or by volume? Looks like you might have had a bit too much oil here.

Can you share your recipe??

I guess its the residual from the sausage...Not trying to be rude...but isnt it basically in the thread?...

What other questions do you have?

how is it?

How did you get to this stage?
Do you add some broth? Also did you add the beer? What did you add between and

Could've been. Personal preference but I do like 1.5:1 weight flour to fat for a slightly thicker gumbo. Also my electric stove has major issues, so I do the Alton Brown "in the oven" method. Takes a while, but you don't have to stir it constantly.

Props on using gulf shrimp. I actually tried to buy some recently but my grocer told me there was a ban on it due to the hurricane. I feel like they were full of shit. Not buying that thailand garbage.

>Is it only supposed to be 25% celery?

In a traditional mirepoix, yes.

Cajun? Not so much. It's all about your preference, and most folks use an even ratio for their trinity.

I actually surprised myself user...its fucking delicious.
No beer or broth...just water.
Basically I just added the sausage back in with the tomatoes and a cap od that orange liquid you see in the first main pic. Then you simmer with the lid off so the liquid evaporates and it thickens.
Ask away if you wanna know more...its pretty simple but I'm willing to help.

Depends on the meal. Sometimes you can't keep up posting with what you're cooking, so you take a bunch of pics and then post that shit when it's time to simmer something.

Where to get some g'damn weed in Austin without getting busted by cops?

Yea those farm raised shrimp have zero taste. I was gonna make a thicker roux desu, but as I stated I wasnt sure if my pot could handle it. I had never used this pot.

reaux ain't dark enough. looks good, though

Nice try honeypot.

I am dumb but I really, really love gumbo, could you point to an online gumbo recipe that you'd recommend yourself? One that closely mimics what you just posted?

Yea I could of got it darker, I'll accept that...i got off work kinda late and I just wanted to get it simmering.

Im so full bros and broettes.

are you appropriating my culture, bro?

6/10 OP.
You lose points for that light colored, yankee looking roux. A good dark roux is the foundation of a good gumbo.

Don't be afraid to use some heat when you make your roux, as it won't burn as long as you keep stirring it.

Pic related: this is what your roux should look like when you add your trinity, and it only took like 15 to twenty minutes on a 5 - 5.5 setting of 10 on my shitty electric stove in a cast iron dutch oven.

No problem OP. I use a dutch oven, that bitch has been abused to hell and back over the years, but I do love it. Definitely recommend one for just about anything.

Also, you should invest in some bay leaves. They are really cheap if you have a grocer that sells herbs in bulk; very commonly used in cajun/creole/french/literally any recipes. Just don't forget to remove it before serving or you will get an unpleasant mouthful of leaf.

Overall, nice job on your gumbo. I am really craving some myself.

>t. Drunk cajun

Youre not dumb, dont say that....literally just zoom into my pic and write down what you see then copy what I did. This version is kind of a ghetto trailer trash version actually. Just read through the thread ...I dont see where the dots dont connect.

Here, dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

Chef Paul breaks it down for you.

Yea that does look awesome
Ive used bay leaves before, personally I dont like the flavor. One thing I did forget was a fresh lemon....something about fresh lemon juice, not too much,,ties it together for me

I'm in Austin as well

Time for a circle jerk

Another "secret" technique to gumbo making is to make a shit ton of roux in a separate pot, and then ladle it in your gumbo after you've browned your proteins, sweated your trinity, and added your stock. This way, if you make a good dark ass roux, you can control exactly how dark, and rich, your gumbo gets. Then you can just freeze the excess and use it for future batches.

This helps avoid the "light gumbo syndrome" that happens when you mis-judge how much roux you need and accidentally make it too light because you've added too much stock for the simmer. This is pretty much how they make it too order in a lot of restaurants, including Chef Pauls.

Ah I have never used lemon, but that's another "your mileage may vary" situations. I also don't do tomatoes in gumbo. Consuming it gives me indigestion bad enough already, so I don't need to make it more acidic. Hah.

As long as I never see a vegan gumbo I will be content with any "gumbo cook-along" on Veeky Forums.

I can't cook without exact amounts and ingredients.

intrasting. can i substitute the shrimp with somethig else? dont care for em much. would like to make this though someday

substitute them with mussels or crawfish

You can literally learn this from google. Also OP's gumbo kinda sucks. Here is a good recipe:

emerils.com/127540/chicken-and-smoked-sausage-gumbo

You can use precooked chicken instead of boiling a whole one like he does.

ty. will have to makew someday

I appreciate the effort, but you have a lot to learn, OP.

that bitch ass roux, barely past blonde. You don't have the balls to make true gumbo. And what the hell are you using tomatoes for?

Yea I learn everyday.
I like tomatoes

>gumbo
>no filé gumbo
hope your sausage soup turns out ok