Santoku

Why do so many people on Veeky Forums hate santoku knives?

i dont hate THAT santoku knive! fucking always wanted to own a set of wusthofs!! One Day...

I like them.

Idk man. I kinda want one for my prep cook job. Not sure if how much more superior the chefs knife is.

There isn't a whole lot of blade length left if you hold them in a proper pinch grip, and when you hold them like that they also tend to be a bit tailheavy due to the short blade. they are great for cutting and dicing onions though, where you work with the tip a lot and still require a wide blade for scooping up the diced bits. A small 18cm gyuto couldn't do that as well.

i bought the swiss santoku knife and i live it. i prefer a french knife for rocking, but its seriously a good knife

no complaints

Who knows? But why should you let that influence you if you're interested. There's nothing inherently wrong with them and personally I think the aesthetic is kind of nice.

Rachel Ray

I have two.

They are fine for certain tasks, when my large chef knives are heavier than necessary.

They're simply not as versatile as a good chef knife, and therefore more of a luxury than a priority.

I mean, there are better knives than santoku, especially Wusthof or Bob Kramer knives. But santoku knives aren't bad, their just not the best ever.

Santoku isn't a brand and Wustof isn't a particular style of knife

Mine sticks

Man, the OP image is even of a Wusthof santoku knife. How do you fuck up this badly?

Because they dont work better than a chef knife in almost anything, and are ledd versatile, that said i love the feel of mine so i use it more, but that doesnt make it better

>especially this $100 brand or $10000 brand

>the ad has a quick rundown

That's the knife I bought a few months ago. It is great although a bit thin.

I won't lie, I used to watch her and she convinced me to buy one a teenager and I liked it.

I like the santoku for manoeuvrability as its not so long, but you cant rock it like what you do with chefs knife. I used my santoku for ten or so years, have now got a nice chefs knife and it took some getting used to. I use my santoku for hack jobs n shit and my nice knife for nice stuff

Agree with this, you can't get the rocking motion of a French chef's knife, so it can't do some of the work that a general purpose knife can. It's great for prepping vegetables and slabs of fish fillets. Someone please tell me if there is more I can do with it, because I pretty much only use it for that or otherwise use my chef's knife.

Also on a side note, odd that there is so much ire for santoku style knives on this board, but Chinese cleavers are never mentioned. Those things are sharp as shit, and can hack through small bone. Very versatile, especially if you hunt.

The funny thing is, she is also the reason santokus are extremely uncool now, even if kids these days don't know the history

If someone like ATK (whose opinions on knives are equally invalid) had endorsed santokus people would just be like, whatever. But people are still feeling guilty for jerking it to her photoshopped pictures in maxim and her gravelly man voice, I guess. Or, who knows what

In any case the wild popularity of "I would never buy a santoku but I bet this knife could be my do-everything" meme knives like kiritsukes and banno bunkas attests to the fact that santokus could have had a good run, had anyone other than Rachel Ray introduced them to mainstream American society

Because liking anything Japanese makes you a weeaboo.

On that topic. Is there a way to make a knife not stick?

Depends on what is sticking.

Really soft foods will always stick. Firmer vegetables can be stopped from sticking by using a knife with dents on the sides of the blade. This is sometimes called a "granton edge".

Lol the
>Lil guy
Tho
Manlets will never recover.

Cut with the knife tilted to one side just slightly.
If you cut quick enough things like onions will just fall off the side of the blade.

I don't hate them, but I find they occupy a strange middle ground that I don't care for.

They have a fat, blunt, point. That's impractical for many tasks like de-seeding peppers, filleting fish, stemming berries, or trimming tendons/silverside from meat. The blade is also quite short. That's impractical for cutting large fruits, slicing steaks, or chopping large amounts of food on the board. I think that makes them less useful than a Western-style chef's knife.

They are OK for veggie work when you don't need that sharp tip and you aren't chopping large volumes. But for that I'd much rather use a Chinese knife because it's much wider so it is more useful for scooping food off the board.

muh mince

this is now also a nakiri thread

Just get a set of these.

They occupy a weird middle-ground compromise space in the world of knives. They don't have the size, pointed tip, and overall versatility of a chef knife/gyuto, and they don't have the chopping performance of a nakiri. They're not as good at anything as one of those two would be.

nakiri is superior to santoku for general use imo. I could never get used to tip work on a santoku which made it practically useless. I do prefer a Chinese chef's knife though. I like the bigger blade for scooping the veg.

To what?

Jealousy

>grabbing chunks
>from anywhere on the cake
>not slicing neat squares from top left to bottom right
Can women not do anything properly?

Because the Chinese Cleaver is superior in every way.

Chinks > Japs

it's from a bit

>Is there a way to make a knife not stick?
Have it thinned and convexed and then buffed with polishing compound by a real bladesmith, someone who has a name in the scene and knows what he is doing. You will probably be surprised by how little it costs. Invest $20 or so plus shipping and have a knive that cuts better than anything you can buy out of the box for under $300. I had a bunch of my kitchen knives thinned by German master bladesmith Jürgen Schanz and they perform incredibly now.

How do you feel about usubas?

I want to try them after watching videos of chefs peeling vegetables into large continuous rinds with usuba knives.

Convex grinding is actually easy to achieve and cuts incredibly well.

Is being fucking obese also a bit?

Fuck off Zhang.

Unless you're going to be doing some japanese veggie prep in a restaurant, a nakiri will suffice. Usuba are fun, but difficult to sharpen if you've never sharpened a single bevel blade. Also kind of difficult to use to it's full potential without lots of practice.

>Get fat people to do a bit about being fat
>Surprised when there are in fact, fat people doing the roles

You and Jack would be great friends

>fat people are fat solely for comedy bit

You and Jack would be great family members

I'm not talking about the bevel, I'm talking about the whole bladeface. Good luck trying to achieve a decent looking result there without an industrial grade or custom built belt sander.

Fuck santoku. Why don't people here like Ginsu knives? I have all kinds of ginsu sets and gadgets.

Why don't people like paying a massive inflated price for goods?
A few cents worth of steel in a knife and maybe a few dollars worth of machining and manufacturing go into it.
Add in a few bucks for transport and retail costs and you should never pay more than $15 knife.

fatties literally can not wait for silverware, its like some primal survival instinct sets in while in the presence of buttercreme frosting.

i have a ginsu knife and a smokeless ashtray