Dostoyevsky and Tolstoi never met each other

>Dostoyevsky and Tolstoi never met each other

What are some other authors that lived at the same time, had very similar themes in their works but whose paths somehow did not cross?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2009/02/23/saved-from-drowning
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kierkegaard and Nietzsche are the big ones for me. Tragic

>Tolstoy
>Dostoyevsky
>similar themes

>Kierkegaard
>born 1813, died 1855
>Nietzsche
>born 1844, died 1900

>hurr why did they never meet

>the snow is so cruel, just like my father.

Elliot Rodgers and John Green. sad.

More like Elliot Rodger and me desu, just wait until I publish My Diary

>Pynchon, DeLillo, Barthelme, Gass, Gaddis, Hawkes, McElroy, Barth, Ashbery, Coover and Markson didn't all hang out and collaborate on a Borgesian encyclopedia

I find this kind of stupid since a few of these are known to be friends and talk fondly of each other and have correspondence with each other.

They could never agree on the title.

Evidently Milton grew up on the same street, Bread Street, where the Mermaid Tavern was located, so it is possible that a young Milton passed a man who often frequented the tavern: William Shakespeare. I know that the the opposite of what OP was asking for, but meh

> Have you suspended the ethical yet, son?
> B-but Soren, I'm only eleven!
> Take the leap of faith, fag.

Kek

a lot of these cunts actually did hang out together for a dinner party.

>n the spring of 1983, Donald Barthelme invited about twenty people to dinner at a restaurant in SoHo. The guest list included Thomas Pynchon, John Barth, William Gaddis, Robert Coover, John Hawkes, William Gass, Kurt Vonnegut, Walter Abish, and Susan Sontag. All of them turned up except Pynchon, who was out of the state and sent his regrets, and the writers made short speeches about their work and toasted their friendship. The affair became known as the Postmodernists Dinner.

I wonder if Donald's brother Fred was invited or if he cared.

source: newyorker.com/magazine/2009/02/23/saved-from-drowning

Balzac and Dickens

More like ball-sack and dick-ens

Vonnegut must have been a bit out of place there

Wouldn't you say so? I mean, compare A Ridiculous Man and Diary of a Lunatic, they're pretty similar in style and intent

Mishima and Thomas Mann, maybe, although that's far-fetched in more than one sense

Underrated

>A year later, in 1881, Dostoevsky passed away. When Tolstoy learned about that, he grieved deeply. In a private letter, he wrote: “I’ve never seen this man and never had any relations with him, and all of a sudden, when he died, I understood that this was the closest, the dearest man for me, the man whose presence I needed the most… I considered him a friend, and had no doubt that we’ll see each other someday…” The last book that Leo Tolstoy had read in his life, during his final days before fleeing Yasnaya Polyana and dying at Astapovo station, was “The Karamazov Brothers” by Dostoevsky.

:(

Mishima definitely read Mann.

Yeah, but they never met or were in contact with each other

I wish I had a small coffeehouse, nestled in an alley branching out from a relatively busy street. I would go in each day, hang up my hat and nod at the owner who would begin preparing my usual while we made light conversation. I learn the going-ons of the town from her each day before sitting down to work on whatever piece of writing I would be making this month's pay off. After an hour, a contemporary and friend would join me and we would talk jovially before doing cocaine in the bathroom and discuss the current state of Europe.

Now the only coffeeshops that survive are busy cafes on main streets or massive corporate chains.

>tfw never have comfy coffee shop you can chain smoke in while studying the law

>Now the only coffeeshops that survive are busy cafes on main streets or massive corporate chains.
Wut? Vienna is riddled with small cafés. It used to be better, but there's still plenty.

Look around more. There are a lot of coffee joints pretty much everywhere.

If you believe that, you've never been in a substantial city

Nietzsche did however lament that he never got to read and think about Kierkegaard because he went crazy before he could make the trip to Copenhagen.

Me and the guy who wrote my diary desu.

sauce? i thought he couldnt say more than three coherent words after the last breakdown.

Came here to say this, he would have been the guy complaining that his feet hurt and that he'd rather be at home writing about aliens

I think he was more planning on going to Copenhagen to study Kierkegaard but went crazy before he could make the trip. Idk if he actually ever said anything about it.