Does anybody else feel bad for the great scientists and mathematicians of history...

Does anybody else feel bad for the great scientists and mathematicians of history? The greatest minds in history would just be considered average today, due to the Flynn effect. Teenage children learn trivial subjects like calculus easily, something Newton and Leibniz spent years developing. These men spent their entire lives developing science and math, and what are their accomplishments worth in the modern times? Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

>implying students who skidded by with like an 80% or 70% or even a perfect score from like an easy prof know the subject as well as Leibniz or Newton
>implying even less of that population know real analysis and can understand and apply proofs newton, leibniz and other mathematicians used to make calculus.

>skidded

>Teenage children learn trivial subjects like calculus easily

no they don't. they learn how to calculate derivatives and integrals

The work of developing calculus was very important, we stand on the shoulders of Giants today user.

And never forget, all great people will be with Allah in jannah.

Newton and Leibniz used their calculus to solve problems that would today be considered #6 problems at Putnam. That means Newton and Leibniz are still on par with the 0.0001% of geniuses today. Most calculus students today can't even solve mid-level problems.

I get your reasoning OP, but it's just not the case that people like Newton or even Leibniz are underrated.

Those people are only underrated in comparison to musicians, who might "work just as hard" but are more loved and remembered because consuming and reusing their output is easier than with math.

Mr newton borrowed parts of his work from india, such as the infinite series. what are their accomplishments worth?!

>Flynn effect

HAHAHAHAHA

go to the physics dept at any ivy league school and i guarantee they will be lacking the conceptionary genius of newton etc

that is, given what newton had, they would not have developed what newton did.

this is apparent by the slow speed of advances made in modern math/physics

Apoologize now

>Teenage children learn trivial subjects like twitter easily, something people spent years developing.
kek

>implying Newton and Leibniz knew analysis

Knowledge discovery is like an inverse exponential growth curve.

That's beautiful.

This. If newton was born in this day and age he would not have as many accomplishments as he has now.

This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. Just because you learned Calculus doesn't mean you're intelligent enough to have been able to invent Calculus.

He'd probably a top researcher at harvard or something

>The greatest minds in history would be considered average today, due to the Flynn effect
>whare their accomplishments worth . . .? Nothing

This is the most brainlet statement I have ever had the displeasure of reading. This is bait, but I'll assume it isn't.

I would wager that Newton would score somewhere around 170 on a legitimate, modern IQ test. Let's perform a thought experiment. Imagine you live in the 17th century, and the vast majority of technological advancements you take for granted do not exist. Exactly how intelligent do you think one must be to independently produce something like calculus? To be clear, the internet (obviously) does not exist, resources such as instructors or literature are sparse and arcane, and the idea itself is completely novel. If you answered, "not very," you should probably either a) sterilize yourself or b) KYS.

And the greatest of them all will join Muhamad alayhi as-salām in Firdaws inshallah

>developing something = memorizing it
>Flynn effect
Are you from 7000 bc then?

i agree. this is what's fascinating about ancient mathematicians and philosophers. they were literally thousands of years ahead of their time.

Excellent non-scientific prediction! Perhaps you meant to post it on /pol/ though? This board is for scientific discussion, not idiotic ramblings.

your comment isn't even peer reviewed, get out

Scientific predictions must be testable. Trying to figure out how smart Newton would be considered in the modern world is not possible. You’re just circle-jerking

Your understanding of Calculus is fundamentally flawed. Newton and Leibniz did not spend years developing Calculus. In fact, mathematicians like Gauss had deduced the exact method to find the area under a curve years before both began studying the subject. Newton and Leibniz both independently and singlehandedly invented the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which brought together every important Calculus development into one standalone field of mathematics. What they did then was not learn Calculus, that's trivial - and don't flatter yourself, since its invention almost anyone could learn Calculus - they made math restricted solely for mathematical giants, i.e. curve area approximation, and made it accessible to the masses you so egregiously label as smarter than the two. Make no mistake, without the genius of Newton and Leibniz you'd be mathematically illiterate.

I caution, don't erroneously believe that Calculus is hard. Calculus is simple, and is not what any great mind ever struggled with. No the Invention of Calculus, taking math that was insurmountably hard and translating it to the layman's terms of Calculus - that is nigh impossible.

>we wuz smarter than nootn n shiet

Not nothing but good point. Being the first matters though. That's why we remember them but we don't suck their ghost dicks.

Congratulations on making the dumbest post I've seen this month.

Utterly terrible point. The genius lies in coming up with it in the first place. The understanding which led to the creation of a new tool which underlies all of modern scientific endeavor is what they're remembered for.

Go on, make something new and world changing right now. Give it a go. Looking forward to your entirely revolutionary and simultaneously practical idea.

You're an idiot

Inventing calculus is way different from learning it

>not realizing you're being disrespectful
grow up, stop dick riding

I actively disrespect you and every thought in your head.

>Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

I feel bad for you then, they have permanently elevated our society as a whole and you can't even praise them.

You don't do good things to get your dick sucked, you do good things to leave the world better than you entered it.

>The greatest minds in history would just be considered average today, due to the Flynn effect