What's the motivation behind employers pretending there's a STEM shortage

What's the motivation behind employers pretending there's a STEM shortage.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-2B_visa
brookings.edu/research/h-1b-visas-and-the-stem-shortage/
washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/?utm_term=.863267a5f39b
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Flood the market with degree holders and get people to do the same job for less money out of desperation

There is a need for STEM. There is just a lack of willingness to pay for it.

On the other hand there are limitless funds to pay for sports.

>Amerigoblins will defend this shit

Don't be an idiot. Demand drives the salaries. People spend a fuck-load on entertainment the world over, and actors, athletes, coaches, TV personalities salaries reflect that. Grad students are also getting an immensely expensive tuition paid for as well. So that little number isn't exactly accurate.

>Title says average and median salaries
>Only one data point per column
>Doesn't say what kind
GET IT TOGETHER JORGE CHAM

Mmm, the thing is a lot of kids are getting the degree but then are to entitled to take a median salary job and work their way up. So they end up getting no job at all.

That's where the stem shortage is, I've met an applied math major and a nuclear physics major both working at a hardware store.

I don't know why, but millennials are actually lazy. Probably because they are super into material gains.

>I've met an applied math major and a nuclear physics major both working at a hardware store
You do realize you can't "work your way up" from that right?

>math major
>physics major
Because there are no jobs in those fields.
>millennials are lazy and materialistic
Boomers beat them by a country mile in both departments.

Honest question: if you work harder than your peers on a more difficult subject that gives you more valuable skills than the average unskilled factory worker, why shouldn't you be entitled to pay that reflects that?

>median salary
Incorrect. 30k/yr is not median salary in the general aggregate nor the stem aggregate yet its all thats out there.

>millenials are lazy
>physics degree
you contradicted yourself, Eustace. Why dont you go fiddle with your dentures in the corner while your daughter fetches you a new adult diaper.

>millenials
>materialistic
t. boomer obsessed with the value of his property who spends his extra cash remodelling his house and buying new trucks every year

Fuck you boomer, in your day once you graduated you could walk straight into a comfy job and have your motgage paid off in 10 years. £25k salaries are fucking peanuts for 4 years of hard study with today's cost of living.

Read the text below the graph.

Driving down wages

you are entitled to nothing in your life. education is correlated with high salary, it does necessarily guarantee high salary.

Most people on this board don't live in the 3rd world. Expect some semblance of pife quality, buddy.

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.
[-]

>hard work shouldn't be rewarded
Well fuck it, might as well go on welfare then.

A person with STEM degree can do non STEM work but not vice versa

t a part time job paid for my degree in full + the dotcom & tech booms boosted my career

stop seeking ego validation here. no youre not the paragon of all that is noble just because you are older than millenials. no you dont automatically get respect. yes you did have objectively better economic and career prospects out of school than millenials. yes millenials are objectively more underemployed than your generation. yes millenials are objectively more educated than your generation.

you arent some warrior who overcame enormous obstacles to climb up the ladder of the american dream. get over it.

What is an actuary? They couldve gone into teaching highschool math even if they were incompetent. Confirmed lazy

because estimating your salary based on the amount of work you do is akin to consider Marx's wage theory of value
your work is valued by the interest the consumer has in it, not how hard it is for you

You sound underaged as fuck. The real world is gonna hit you like a brick wall. Enjoy "studying" economic theory on /pol/ as you live life as a pathetic neet.

Only if you are retarded and have to work hard to get money.

There are shortages, but for specific fields.
For example, most people who go into Bio do it because "They hate math" or want to be a nurse. There are many fields like Population Genetics, Bioinformatics, Biostats, Biophysics, ect that have a lot of openings. Same for most CS jobs.

>There are no jobs in math
Maybe if you are only counting pure math.

You are entitled to nothing. You take the risk by doing the work. You hope for the reward of getting a good paying job.

>Hastati
>Mob

>has absolutely no argument after being called out on subscribing to LTV, the creation science analogue of economics
>resorts to incredible damage control instead

Not that guy, but you're the one who sounds incredibly underaged. Sorry that salaries aren't scaled to what you personally think is fair.

the only reason non-shithole countries have free secondary education is because its indirectly subsidized by the US footing the bill for their defense. same thing with healthcare.

Will a PhD in EE realistically be viable if I plan to go into industry R&D, govt lab, or something similar? Plan to focus on optics/lasers/photonics area at a top 15 uni and just want to work outside academia afterwards. And would I be able to get back into academia later in life? I think being a professor would be awesome but dont think I would be mature enough right away and think the industry experience would be beneficial for helping students

My employer has a hard time finding competent software engineer recruits.
I've manned a table at UCF's last job fair, and there were so many candidates with low GPA and little experience. Apparently the school does not teach C++, which is incredibly silly considering that the city is a capital of the m&s industry.

get a masters, go into industry, get your PE, then choose whether or not to get a PhD. you sound like every other Tony Stark wannabe engineer.

>there were so many candidates with low GPA and little experience

this. the kids complaining about not being able to get a job are the cardboard league shitters who can't even get an internship at a mom n pop trade shop or maintain a 3.0+ GPA.

I am in my 3rd year of EE with a 3.9/4.0 at a well known university and still havent gotten an internship for this summer...I have done plenty of projects, have plenty of relevant software and programming language experience but I still cant get anything. There are plenty to apply to but none seem to take me. I did get some interest from a nearby company and plan to attend upcoming career fair so hopefully something pans out...

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions based on my experience, so try not to take this personally as not all these may apply to you.

1. you probably think ~30 applications a semester is a lot. its not. 30 a weekend is more like it. its not shot gunning either, there are just that many companies/opportunities out there.

2. you are only applying for "prestigious" internships at Fortune rated companies. you quite literally either have to network your ass off, get supremely lucky, or like many other people you have to work your way up by doing rinky dink stuff in the previous semesters. yes, you need an internship to get the internship if you want to be on the cutting edge of industry.

3.you aren't a member of IEEE (or other relevant engineering organization). you should be. student memberships are cheap AF. plus they invite you to stuff like dinners.

4.you aren't reading industry journals. once again, cheap and/or free. besides being good toilet reading and informing you about current industry practices and trends, they have ads for..... you guessed it. jobs.

i know this sounds like a lot, but it really isn't that much of an investment.

>Immensely expensive
Profs time - as seen by salaries, its worth shit
School facilities - even in the most equipment heavy fields its still insignificant
Administration - Also get paid shit

Where is the immense cost coming from for you here?

>entitled to take a median salary job and work their way up
You do realize that this american dream idea you have of the job market doesnt exist right?
>millennials are actually lazy. Probably because they are super into material gains
You mean all those liberal hippies that spend all their money on travel and life experience? Or maybe the conservative ones who live in fear of the volatile world the boomers have created and so put all their money in mutual funds and bonds.

Ostensibly you are a boomer. You should have the decency to accept the demonstrable fact that your generation is the primary cause of the shithole we now inhabit.

I have applied to 50 during christmas break so far, but could probably do more. I focus mostly on internships in my specialization but guess I could probably apply to others. I do focus on bigger companies too, but nearby smaller companies have no ads on their site or other job sites for positions, but will be at the job fair. I am a member of IEEE and IEEE HKN but havent been to many meetings due to having a class during those times. Ive never read industry journals so I will try reading through those and hope I find something interesting. Thanks for the advice

>whine about uni being too easy because of grade inflation
>proceed to also whine about low GPA's
neck yourselves

>t. Underaged

fake worker shortage to permit H-2B visa cheap foreign labour scam:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-2B_visa

Brainlet values
>hardest workers make it to the top

Successful business tier mentality
>work smart, not hard

>>Not that guy, but you're the one who sounds incredibly underaged. Sorry that salaries aren't scaled to what you personally think is fair.

It's true that salaries determined by subjective whims of market forces and that capitalism isn't a meritocracy like many people are led to believe. This doesn't mean that we should completely leave the the value of hard working virtues and widely respected intellectual pursuits to be completely determined by the marketplace or reduce it into dollars and wants.

the average GPA at my school was 3.1 bud.

He might also have a terrible resume or terrible interviewing skills.

It is difficult getting a job as an actuary or a teacher.

That ^

and there is truly a shortage of "elite" stem people. The guys that actually innovate and do amazing things. Of course this is just because there are only a few high IQ people in the world, you can't fix this through education.

More H1B visas for STEM graduates from India who has to work for cheap or else lose their immigration status and sent back packing.

brookings.edu/research/h-1b-visas-and-the-stem-shortage/

When an employer can hold the immigration status of their employees hostage, then it's crony capitalism.

hard work should not be rewarded, results should be rewarded, you moran.

Dig a hole in the ground, then fill it. You worked hard but accomplished nothing.

Yeah, it would be preferable if pajeets weren't allowed in the country and driving down salaries to begin with.

It's simple supply and demand.I know you don't consider econ a science, but you should still understand day 1 of econ 101

Actually? What uni did you graduate from?

>Americans pay for third-world countries free health care while having maybe of the worst healthcare system of all first-world countries themselves (if you count them as first-world)
That would make Americans even more retarded

>amerimutts pay child tier game coaches 4 times more than president of university

when will these niggers be nuked?

that game is usually the biggest source of income for a university

Pretty sure this was debunked. They end up spending more on stadiums and athletic facilities than they can recoup by monetizing college football.

>e c o n o m i c s

businesses often need a very specific set of skills which STEM majors rarely have

you really need to attend careers conferences and "network" to find out what they are looking for in your field, they are literally tripping over each other to get students to tread down the right path but few dopy millenials listen

>few dopy millenials listen
The university also shares part of the blame. In some fields the focus on theory overtakes the practical parts of the field that should be practiced. More projects should be incorporated into upper division courses that are not weeder courses. This way the student can graduate with a portfolio.

A lot of those people with STEM degrees don't want those jobs, are stupid, or are lazy.

This article says that 75% are profitable:
washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/?utm_term=.863267a5f39b

it should be pretty obvious. if you have more applicants than you actually need you can under pay them

Some universities make money off sports. viz. UGA, Louisiana State University, The Pennsylvania State University, and the Universities of Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, and the University of Texas at Austin. Only on football though, and only for schools that have teams that win.

>b o o t l i c k e r

>raises millenials
>blames millenials for everything

profitable != "biggest source of income"
must be an engie

No I won't. Hockey is the only real sport, everything else is just dick-waving contests for steroid-doping nignogs and the cucks that watch them and fantasize that they're part of the team.