If the Earth rotates the Sun at thousands of miles per hour, then why can I jump without dying...

If the Earth rotates the Sun at thousands of miles per hour, then why can I jump without dying? A semi truck moving 70 miles per hour would splatter me. Then why can I safely crash into a much larger object traveling thousands of miles of per hour? Checkmate heliocentrists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y8mzDvpKzfY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP you're a fucking idiot. Please go away. We're not going to spoon feed you answers. Either study basic math and physics or get the fuck out.

Why can you eat your burger in your car without it flying out of your hand first?

Because the burger is safely inside the car. Put the burger on top of the car and it will go flying off.

damn OP never thought about this

We are safely inside earth's atmosphere. If we weren't we would be blown off like a burger.

gravity?

why is inertia such a hot topic?

>be me on a train
>going 115 mph
>walk the aisle and jump up
>don't get smashed to the rear at 115 mph
How is this possible?

bait for the bait god

Draw a free body diagrams of yourself on earth. There is one force that is equal and opposite to the normal force the ground has to put out to not trapdoor you down.

Figure out that force and you'll have the answer.

You can also arrive to the force from asking the question "if an apple falls, does the moon also fall?"

You need to do some serious analytical geometry for the moon one tho.

Good luck

>Taking the bait this hard

Next time you're in a car on the highway going highway speeds, start bouncing a tennis ball off the dashboard.
Many people believe that you're too retarded to figure out why I'm asking you to do this, but I have faith in you!

the earth *rotates* the sun at thousands of mph?

First law

I have a bunch of my own questions regarding inertia, but it's slightly different and my final question is leading to something else altogether. I was planning on making a new thread, but then I found this one here. Should I ask or make my own thread? (it's a series of questions).

Just do it here.

Ask away. Inertia is the topic selected by OP anyway

Fuck it, alright, here goes. First question:
Hypothetically speaking, you're in an elevator that's freefalling, and you jump up at the most perfect timing before it crashes down. What does happen? Do you escape your death? Do you smash on the ceiling? What if there's no ceiling, do you end up 20 meters above the impact point from the difference in weight/mass between you and the elevator?

I'm sitting is a truck going 90 miles, why am I not annihilated.

I want to know this too, physics is beyond my area of study at the moment.

If the elevator's falling at 100 mph, and you jump up at 10 miles per hour, you'll still hit the floor at 90 mph.

>and you jump up at the most perfect timing before it crashes down
You CAN'T jump up inside a free-falling elevator. If both you and the elevator are in free fall, then you're not touching the floor. Even if you somehow could, your legs just can't exert a force strong enough to counter the acceleration and make your speed relative to the ground zero.

>If the Earth rotates the Sun at thousands of miles per hour
I had to read this four times before moving on to the part where OP doesn't understand momentum.
Geeze...

This guy says you can jump.
This guy says you can't.
Well fuck me, which one applies? And what about the ceiling/no ceiling part? Does it change anything?

I know this is bait, but Ahhhhh! fuck! Speed is change in position. Acceleration is change in speed! Acceleration, and *not* speed is what makes you go splat. when you jump on the earth or on an elevator, your speed changes with reference to the speed you were already traveling at! Neither the earth nor you magically fucking stop moving because you jump!

You jump up with reference to the elevator, not with reference to the building. The elevator is still going down at 100, and you are now going down at 90 (both with reference to the building / earth) but you are now going up 100 - 90 = 10 with reference to the elevator. Compared to the elevator, you are going up at 10, but compared to the building you are still going down at 90.

Saying that you can't jump is a bit misleading. You can jump but it is really difficult to position yourself to do so, since you instantly lose your footing the moment both you and the elevator start freefalling. Still, even if you jump, as demonstrates, your speed with respect to the ground won't change as much and it really won't make any difference to the damage you'll sustain from the fall. If anything, it might be more dangerous since you'll probably damage your spine. Your best bet in such a situation is to fall as flat on the floor as you can.

Okay, let me get this straight first. (and no, it's not bait second user, there's more questions to follow). This is what ACTUALLY happens: you ARE able to jump inside the elevator but it changes nothing, you do NOT hit your head on the ceiling and you still smash on the ground at speed 90. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now for the second question: a fly is able to fly around in a speeding car freely, but if you open the window does it end up outside the car, does it hit the back of the car, or is able to fly around just as well as before? This question might seem retarded but it's also important.

I have a serious question. Is there a measurable difference in gravity between when you're "facing forwards" in the trajectory around the sun as opposed to when you're "facing backwards"? I.e. when you're parallel to the velocity vector of the earth as opposed to when you're anti parallel.

That's kinda more of a fluid dynamics question. I'm not even mad. That's unintuitive.
youtu.be/y8mzDvpKzfY
vid tangentially related.

that was pretty awesome

in short: relativity
in long: fuck you

Speaking up late. If you can push yourself towards the floor, either by pushing yourself to the floor by using the railing or something else, then you will momentarily be able to jump. This assumes complete free fall of the elevator. But in complete free fall you and the elevator are falling at the same speed, and to you it will look like you are just floating in the elevator. If you can get to the floor you will be able to jump, but not as effectively as you can on normal ground. If you do successfully jump, then you would hit the elevator ceiling but not very hard, or not if it has no ceiling. However since you wanted to wait until just before impact you won't have time to drift that far. Instead what would happen, is just before impact you jump, then a split second later the elevator crashes to the ground, then another split second and you crash into a crumpled heap of an elevator and likely die. You will only have your body to absorb the impact.

However, there is probably still some friction between the elevator and the shaft, so you will be accelerating down slightly slowly, or maybe significantly slower than complete free fall. This means you will be able to jump very similarly to on normal ground. Instead of "floating" you will seem more like you are on mars gravity or something. So if you jump too soon, you will catch back up to the elevator floor. So you jump at the opportune moment, and still crash into the ground within a second of elevator crashing, and still die.

As another user pointed out, it would probably be safer to lay flat on the ground if you want to survive. This way the deformation of the elevator crashing can more slowly transfer the change in speed to your body, and also brace your spine and neck so they don't bend too much.

Thanks a lot, that's all I needed to know about that matter. Now can you answer the fly stuff? There's more.

like said if you were free falling with the elevator you probably wouldn't be able to "jump"

but for the sake of the question let's say you were somehow standing on it and ready to jump from its floor
both you and the elevator will fall at the same rate, if you somehow manage to push yourself off the floor you would only provide a negligible acceleration upwards which would not be enough to slow you down considerably and you would just hit the ground in an instant after the elevator does

and if you were some sort of super human with incredibly strong legs and had the strength to complete counter your downwards acceleration, you'd just ram yourself into the ceiling

if there was no ceiling, (assuming your the super human) the elevator would just speed up more thanks to you and you'd be safe