Heidegger would not have had a good time on marijuana

Heidegger would not have had a good time on marijuana

What makes you say that?

>heidegger smokes
>everything immediately derealizes and he spends the rest of his life in an existential shock

heritage

What are some philosophical systems and their recreational drug equivalents?

if you made a post about that i bet you would get >100 replies

How the hell did he not constantly have panic attacks?

Literally me

being-toward-weed

Genuinely a summary of my life

Does anyone know if any of the heavy hitter phenomenological took psychedelics?

Doors of Perception was OK but I'm not looking to read any more haughty milquetoast Anglo popular philosophy

*phenomenologists

you're looking for psychoanalysts. Start with Freud and Jung, don't listen to positivists. Phenomenology is technical and dry.

Platonism: shrooms
Stoicism: benzos
Hedonism: opiates
Nietzsche: methamphetamine
Schopenhauer: bad acid trip
Analytics: adderall

Iktf. I don't get how normies can smoke weed for fun, I get shot into the spirit realm almost immediately.

Sartre did, and Merleau-Ponty wrote about the subject

I thought this was my problem, then I realized I wasn't taking big enough hits and not taking a large enough amount of such hits in a row, ironically. If you're not having fun with it, then fuck it, either don't do it more, or do so much at once it becomes fun.

>Phenomenology is technical and dry.

Husserl: yes; everyone that follows: not so much.

>The flesh is at the heart of the world.

>Nietzsche: methamphetamine

while this is valid I believe Nietzsche would down giant amounts of victorian era drugs to combat his syphilis migraines

Nietzsche just seems like the kind of person who'd be willing to tackle meth's terrible comedown just for the sake of the high

I'm sure he knew the drugs he was taking weren't helping anything but his mania

also I think he would take meth just for the comedown

>Mill
Adderall and antipsychotics

>Schopenhauer
DXM

>Nietzsche
Cocaine and alcohol

>Emerson
Psychedelics

>Heidegger
Psychedelics and nitrous

>Hegel
Nitrous

>Kierk
MDMA

>Witty
Meth

>Stoics
Benzos

>Lacan
DPH

>Merleau-Ponty
Could you direct me to any specific works (tried google)?

He writes about hallucination in Phenomenology of Perception.

danke

heidegger took lsd with junger

I don't think so. Junger did, I don't know that Heidegger did or that they were close friends. They had a polite correspondence but I don't think Heidegger took Junger seriously. Heidegger thought he was above him.

Theres a new book out from some Leiden guy Vincent Blok who looks at the relationship, haven't read it yet but looks good

>>Hegel
>Nitrous

Didn't William James claim to have a mystical experience where he understood Hegel while on nitrous oxide?

I think thats the kind of thing acid or shrooms could do, not weed

Nietzsche did LOTS of opiates, chlroral and later in his life he also dabbled with delirants.
He had an excuse for doing them but still, we can infer that he had lots of fun with them.

They're all very far from metamphetamines in their effect, and honestly I don't see how one could link that effect to Nietzsche's writings. They're way too majestic, elegant and ancient for them to be similar to such a drug.

Personally I've always linked them to that state of creative process that arises when falling asleep, which is also a very close rendition of what these drugs feel like. I can imagine how, for Nietzsche, every single word he put on paper had that kind of ramification that words have when you're on those drugs.

By the way this speculation is entirely wrong, since he always wrote when hitchiking.

Nietzsche is milk

I feel like Stoicism should be opiates (Marcus Aurelias was a big fan anyway) or maybe dissociatives.
Hedonism should be ecstasy or maybe something from the 2C series.

Agree with hedonism being ecstasy

The actual philosophy of stoicism would probably just be some kind of burnt out sobriety, but if it were a drug it closer resembles benzos than opiates imo (many people in history have taken opiates due to their long availability)

>existential shock
you mean angst?

the moment of derealization that forces you to reconsider your relation to the world is a fundamental part of Being and Time, you dolt

If anything, Heidegger would probably smoke every day, holding onto angst as much as possible so he could uncovered that what Das Man has concealed and act authentically.

>be Heidegger in universe 2
>be born in the Us in the '40s
>spend your 20s in the '60s
>become a dirty hippy, study eastern philosophy instead of greek metaphysics, take lots of LSD in the desert and live in a comune

>be Heidegger in Universe 1
>become a nazi

I don't know if he really dodged a bullet there.

>Nietzsche did LOTS of opiates
Like most people in this thread there's literally zero evidence. Nietzsche HATED the mind-altering effects of Alcohol.

Knowing that rationally and having an emotional awareness of it are two seperate things.
Its like how I know I'm going to die but I've emotionally repressed it enough to pretend I don't care

Just look it up, there's lots of evidence in both his letters and account of both his family and close friends of his.
He abused them to mend his ailments (namely painful headaches, gastrointestinal problems, a weak autoimmune system), and he never really disparage them, in fact he says they're a way to induce in yourself the Rausch, the intoxication (which can be reached through other means) that is necessary to experience the sublime, and art more in general.

His attack on alcohol were mostly about the specific properties of the drug itself, rather than an attack on drugs at large.

Maybe Ernest Junger could have hooked him on opiates.

>evidence
Conjecture. Evidence against the contrary is actual letters from sister talking about his first regular drug usage whilst writing The Gay Science.

Some of the people here are beyond autistic

"So, it is apparent that the ancient philosophers, Confucius, Buddha, Laozi, elaborated greatly upon what it is like to be in suffering or to be in relations to others, but none have been able to interrogate the question of what it is like TO BE."