I was sick during the logarithm section in high school and now Im clueless in calc...

I was sick during the logarithm section in high school and now Im clueless in calc. Please teach me oh great Veeky Forums, teach me what the fuck log and ln are and how its a counting method. Are there books on logarithms?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm
there, I spoon fed you

there are dozens of videos on youtube. watch these and take notes while doing so. stop the video if you don't understand something and watch it again.
if they're doing exercises in the video, stop the video before every step of the solution and try to think of what you'd do. then press play and see if you were right.
t. adhd fag

fucking hell, just go through the logs section in any precalculus textbook. This post was so unnecessary

Look up professor Andy Sixxx. He has a PhD in logarithms

logarithms have a base.
Generally when not specified, you say the base of a logarithm is 10, but some algorithms default to base 2.

ln is a logarithm with base e which is called the natural exponent.

log base x is the inverse of taking x to some power.
So log base x: logx(x^y) = y.
log is the inverse of its base to a power like division is to multiplication.

logs seem like one of those things that has almost literally no purpose in real life outside of maybe one specialized job that has 3 positions in the entire world

kek

No.

Wrong.

logarithm is just the inverse function of the exponential function

They're pretty much just for cabins these days.

[eqn]\ln(x) = \int\limits_{0}^{x} \frac{1}{t}\ \text{d}t[/eqn]

>flip to logarithm section of precalc textbook or look for some pdf of logs online
>take 15-20 minutes or so learning log rules
>solve a couple of problems to get them in your head
Also why the fuck has not knowing logs making you clueless in calc? You don't need to know logs to understand limits, derivatives, integrals, etc. only when they involve logs

You have some number, say it's 10.

You want to know, hey, what exponent do I need to put on 10 to make it 969?

What you do is take the base-10 logarithm of 969, and you'll get ~2.983. 10^2.983 is approximately 969. Your calculator will do this for you because the 'log' button is automatically base 10. The 'ln' button is the same thing but with base e instead of base 10.

How do you do logarithms for bases other than 10? Read your textbook. But you understand the actual purpose and theory behind it now, so it should be easy.

nice bounds bro

If you really don't know shit, go to Khan Academy.

t. fresh out of calc 2

OP, you can legit just google how to solve logs, ln, exponential functions, properties of logs, ln and how to graph logarithmic and exponential functions.

You don't even need to know what log and ln are in Calculus. All you need to know are their derivatives.

X = ln(Y)
Y = e^X
X = Log[baseZ](Y)
Y = Z^X

you know know