Is this ALL the Physics you study in a Physics undergrad?

Is this ALL the Physics you study in a Physics undergrad?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you serious?

It's for grad students, post docs and professors as well.
It's right there in the name, duh

Yes I am.

Maybe I should have posted this in stupid questions thread.

What is missing for example?

>Is this ALL the Physics you study in a Physics undergrad

No, it's all the physics you study in the first year.
2nd year it's Taylor's CM, Griffiths' EM and QM, and Schroeder's Thermal
3rd year it's Shankar's QM, Ashcroft's Solid State, Electronics, Modern Physics Labs, Hecht's Optics, and Schutz's GR
4th year it's Griffiths' Particles, Goldstein's CM, Jackson's EM, Sakurai's QM, and Pathria's Statistical Mechanics

Thanks user.

>Pathria's Statistical Mechanics

Never saw this recommended, is it any good? Will I survive if I only use Reif and Schroeder?

>no modelling & sim
you go to a shit school

I've never seen Griffiths em or qm taught at 200 level.

It's a pretty big book, you'll be lucky to finish it in your lifetime.

Kek, that was literally one class in engineering at my uni. And since physics majors obviously see more physics than engineering majors, ofcourse they see more than this.

There is literally no end to how deep into a specific subset of subset of a subset of any STEM field you can go. It's extremely dangerous to think you know everything because you understand the basic physics involved.

I'm not a fysicus but from an engineering (ergo designing) perspective I could give many examples of how you can go deeper and deeper into any specific thing you want to, way beyond understanding the basic physics of a component, choosing different paths of focus at every layer.

Yes. Everything else is bullshit and black magic

Kinda true, relativity is solid after that tho it gets shaky

I'm a second year physics major and we've used Hand & Fitch and Goldstein.

No. Did that in 3 quarters minus cosmology. Not even a physics major :(

No, see Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations

All you need is freshman physics and 1st year vector calc and DEs.

Pathria is a standard for graduate stat mech. IMO, there is no delfacto textbook for statistical mechanics. The two books you have are good for a introductory course.

Got any recommendations?

Here is what it looks like at my uni.

This is more of a reference book to marry up concepts from highschool and first year physics; bridging the gap. It covers a breadth of areas of physics in very little depth to make sure you're ready for the harder material later on (because nailing the fundamental concepts is extremely important; try doing statistical mechanics without a solid understanding of free energy).