Have you cooked with truffles? Thinking about ordering some for Christmas

Have you cooked with truffles? Thinking about ordering some for Christmas.
Are the expensive little fuckers worth the price?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KRz5HtDNHgU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>page 9
>nothing
God dammit Veeky Forums you hopeless tendiemunching plebs.

Everyone knows truffles are pretentious bullshit already ya dingus, drizzle some truffle oil over button mushrooms if you're that curious.

I got black truffle. $80 for a small lump. It was good, but I'd rather just not use it again.

If ever there was a meme food, truffles would be it.

yeah, i like it.
Summer truffles are pretty weak as far as flavor goes and i wouldnt cook them in anything. I use them almost exclusively as a garnish. I just do little shavings on rice and pasta.
As for winter truffles, those have a bigger flavor profile and I would cook with those.

White truffles are the only truffs worth eating but the price is not worth the experience. Buy truffle oil same effect.

Truffles epitomize living up to the hype but not being worth the price. Everything people say about them is true but they should not be anywhere near the price places charge

They're like avocados for the rich.

What's that?

Zombie tendie

truffles taste like shit to be honest, I still have fun finding and selling them though.

How much money do you make finding truffles?

Also, do you use a doge or a pige, and how do you stop them from instantly eating them?

Where/when do you look for them?

Anyone have any idea why they're not farmed? Too expensive to pay for the security perhaps?

last season i made about $3k, I live in western canada. autumn is mushroom/truffle season. I dont use any animals, I look for them with a couple friends, you find them at the bases of trees.

Use them for pasta, make sure to use a lot because the taste can be subtle

Lmao Kys you pleb. Truffle oil doesn't taste anything like the real deal. Often times they don't even use actual truffles.

Foie is better.

Chocolate is better.

I can get them from williams-sonoma's website 40% off because a family member works there. Might get some for christmas as well.

Those prices though, even with 40% off.
If this in any way an accurate reflection of how easy they are to find...
youtube.com/watch?v=KRz5HtDNHgU
...then I think my doggo and I just found a new hobby.

yeah I don't mind spending a lot on holiday shit, might get some caviar too. I'm just worried the williams sonoma ones will be shit quality. I don't think truffles grow wild where I live? too hot in florida

That sounds pretty fun actually. The 3k was your whole group or just your share?

apparently there's truffles in pecan orchards in georgia so maybe there could be some in florida, probably not nearly as common as pnw though.

they are pretty fucking meme tier but personally il drop the cash to pimp the shit out of a dish or two once in a while for certain events, also in case you are unaware nearly all truffle oil is trash and doesnt contain any truffle

same.

I use them as the main ingredient and not just to top a dish.

Got my hands on some truffle butter recently, (real truffle in it)
just a piece of baguette, topped with some truffle butter, in the oven, great appetizer.

whole group, we split it 3 ways.