Terrance Tao has proven Newman''s conjecture, putting himself on the track to prove the Reimann Hypothesis

Terrance Tao has proven Newman''s conjecture, putting himself on the track to prove the Reimann Hypothesis

arxiv.org/abs/1801.05914

Why haven't you bowed to our generation''s Gauss, if such a title would even begin to describe his genius?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1801.05914
vixra.org/abs/1712.0598
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Looks like a twink virgin

>putting himself on the track to prove the Reimann Hypothesis

>ADDED LATER: the following analogy (involving functions with just two zeroes, rather than an infinite number of zeroes) may help clarify the relation between this result and the Riemann hypothesis (and in particular why this result does not make the Riemann hypothesis any easier to prove, in fact it confirms the delicate nature of that hypothesis). Suppose one had a quadratic polynomial {P} of the form {P(z) = z^2 + \Lambda}, where {\Lambda} was an unknown real constant. Suppose that one was for some reason interested in the analogue of the “Riemann hypothesis” for {P}, namely that all the zeroes of {P} are real. A priori, there are three scenarios:

I don’t study this area of math. How does proving this conjecture lead to the proof of RH? What steps or conjectures are needed to be proven to prove this now?

I don’t care about technical detailed just give me a run down of x y z proof leads to RH and Tao just proved x and now needs to prove y sort of thing

I'd say what Gromov does is more important to Mathematics. That being said I'd put Gromov as one of the most influential mathematicians of this century. Tao's work is relatively concrete...

concrete is good

Newman's constant is a supposed value that deals with a complicated exponential function, that you shouldn't bother understanding.

However, what's interesting is that the Reimann Hypothesis can be defined as "This constant is less than or equal to zero"

Terrance proved that this constant not only exists, but is non-negative. In other words, if the RH hypothesis is true, it must be zero.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. If someone comes along and either proves the constant is equal to 0 (thus proving RH) or disproving RH would Tao get credit for also proving RH?

Lastly, as an outsider to this area of math, this seems quite a big deal. Do other experts agree?

This guy is a fucking genius and a credit to the mathematical community, anyone who thinks otherwise is being a contrarian, or may Allah forgive the utterance, a computer scientist.

Its definitely a nice and impressive thing to prove, but as Tao mentions on his own blog it doesn't really make proving the RH easier.

I don't think it does help at all, and supposedly Taovsaid this somewhere too

itt: no one has a clue about the conjecture or the proof, but brainlets will make 200 posts because Tao and Riemann hypothesis are involved

>Terrance Tao has proven Newman''s conjecture
>Second author.
Kek.

>second author
>in math
fuck off you dumbass caveman
authors in serious fields are ordered lexicographically

>He doesn't know ordering authors in alphabetical order is commonplace in mathematics
Go back to the lab.

Wrong. When authors contribute equally, it is always noted in any serious field. Not that this makes the annotation any legitimate since politics drives everything.

>When authors contribute equally, it is always noted in any serious field.
Wrong.

>Wrong.
Wrong.

>When authors contribute equally, it is always noted in any serious field
why don't you fuck off and stop posting in anything related to math, you dumbass?

In math we order names aphabetically, you clearly do not do math so GTFO.

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing serious fields, not wankery and party tricks.

>arxiv.org/abs/1801.05914
His [math]\LaTeX[/math] looks butt ugly

>math is not a serious field
wrong board, brainlet

>Why haven't you bowed to our generation''s Gauss, if such a title would even begin to describe his genius?

WOW, Gauss... yeah, not even close on so many levels.
Carl-Friedich, du wirst immer in meinem Herzen wohnen, denn in meinem kleinen Hirn ist viel zu wenig Platz für dich.

Only brainlets get butthurt about facts, brainlet.

Terrence is a poser at best. He steals his ideas from colleagues but he himself can't even do basic logic. See his reaction during the election for example.

mathchads master race, engicucks and other faggots need not apply

>mathchads master race, engicucks and other faggots need not apply
Why the homophobia?

>pretend to be methfag
>projects enginiggery unto his betters
lol

f a g g o t s n e e d n o t a p p l y

>inb4 you're in cs or biology
only physics would be respectable, but they, too, use lexicographical authorship ordering in many topics

While your butthurt is amusing, it's also fact that you don't have a single clue about what you're saying.

>if I keep calling him butthurt and clueless I won't look bad for not knowing authors are ordered lexicographically

Cry moar, salty nigger.

>Cry moar, salty nigger.
Why the racism?

Your tears are my sustenance.

>or may Allah forgive the utterance, a computer scientist.
Haram

Imagine being this retarded

Based Brad Rodgers revolutionizing mathematics. Thank God we have real mathematicians still.

Sadly, no.
The one who gets the medal is that who crosses the finish line, standing on the shouders of giants.
El Psy Congroo

For those who don't know how this works, the post-doc who co-wrote this was probably the main author.

>lower bound of lambda was -50
>A decade ago someone showed that the lower bound of lambda was -1.1e-12
>Tao proved that lambda has a lower bound of 0
Lmao, this is considered a genius in math? Increasing the lower bound by a trillionth? Kek

>I don't understand serious math.
Most people don't, so it's fine.

just lol if you think this

>GREEN-tao theorem
>now tao is second author
can chinks do anything without leeching off of the inventions of whites?

Tao is such a poser. I proved Green's theorem back in calc 3 but I don't go around saying I proved the Green-user theorem.

DeutschePhysik----->>>>>

Not that Green's theorem, the theorem that there are arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions of prime numbers.

DELETE THIS POST IMMEDIATELY.

Tao is a God among men, I can't believe he married such a low tier woman.

Brad and Terry say the Riemann hypothesis is equivalent to

[equation]\Lambda\leq0[/equation]

and then finish their paper by contradicting

[equation]\Lambda

Why do we even need other mathematicians lol?

Hey mate, long time no see. How are you doing? Are you not living in the streets anymore? Is your financial situation improving?

>his LaTeX looks like mine

Does that mean I'm the next Tao?

No, Tao probably felt bad for the failed postdoc and told him to Latex his paper and in return, he would be mentioned as an "author".

I personally find this interesting. Tao is currently a multi-millionaire and he worked with a postdoc, literally below the poverty line. The amount of boot-licking and dick-sucking must have been immense.

Yeah, I did finally get off the streets thanks for asking. Now I live in a dirt area underneath the bridges where I-75/85 and I-20 intersect. No, my financial situation isn't improving but my food stamps are coming on the 23rd so that's nice at least.

I looked at your publications on vixra and I see that you fully deserve to be in the financial state you're in. I'm glad that there is some kind of justice in this world.

You mean after I quit $100k/yr job as a Senior BI Developer because I wanted to protest the fucking government's bullshit full time?

Fuck man that is tough. How do you get internet? Public library?

Yes, and I hope you never find employment ever again. Or better yet, it would be great if the government decides you're worth "getting".

Or it was the post-doc's idea and Tao saw the value.

Good luck. Never stop thinking.

It's not as tough as I thought it would be and my spot under the bridge is A BIG IMPROVEMENT from the alley I was sleeping in. What was tough was hanging out with that group of cunts at the job I quit.

Where do I get internet? Lots of places.

He has cute kids though

Now, imagine being Terence Tao's kid...

hey I see you got post ending in 47, that's my masonic rank. True story, ask your friends.

Pic related, these creatures are almost certainly my friends that the government already got and sold to torturer who mutilated them but didn't kill them.

oops, pic related

This could be it, but then it would be the typical story of: Huge powerful millionaire uses his money and power to extort a poor guy and get the credit.

I reaaaally don't want to think of Tao as the Harvey Weinstein of mathematics. I prefer the story of Tao being a really nice guy who just can't help sharing his glory with the people around him. Such a wholesome and nice guy.

That's good. Why don't you try getting a spot at a university?

Why either or? Suck him off why don't ya.

>Why don't you try getting a spot at a university?

That's a stupid question. Why don't you try winning the lottery?

He just looks nice, you know? He is not the kind of guy to steal from someone else. And he is too smart to have some lowly postdoc collab with him at his level.

But dude. Your papers are not getting any traction right now. You have the training, don't you? I know it is hard but at least try to get into the academic world.

Dude, I am standing right now at the apex of the entire academic world. My papers do have traction, it's just that the government is fucking me over personally. If I can paraphrase you as

>why don't you try to get money?

then the answer is because I want to make sure the story of my life tells the truth about what's important to me.

People who look nice are the most likely to steal from other people. There is a very high correlation between people who don't take care of themselves and those who are serious about their work. Moreover, the entire academic world is fully driven by political forces, it's almost diametrically opposed to a meritocratic setting. It's so bad that when a prof doesn't like a student but thinks the work is good, they'll recredit the work to a student they like better. This is considered normal and usual.
It's similarly considered normal and usual to credit someone else with your work as a favor, or as a payback for a favor.
Industry research is even worse.

This is what it all comes down to. You guys don't want to acknowledge that my name is The Lord but I do want you to do that.

t. The Lord God Almighty

Well, okay man. Those were just my 2 cents. I just hope you are happy. Are you happy? And just out of curiosity, do you "get pussy"?

Dude you must be talking out of your ass. Maybe this applies to some people, but I am sure this kind of stuff barely even happens in math. And much less to people like Terence Tao who are at the top. Tell me, who do you steal from when you have more than anyone else?

No on both counts. I am extremely unhappy and totally dissatisfied with my life.

Is that pearlmann? He should take the money

No, that is me. Jonathan W. Tooker. Check out my new book.

>The General Relevance of the Modified Cosmological Model
>vixra.org/abs/1712.0598

only fools care about proving it, when they should work in both realms of math that assume both its falsity and validity.

Then why not stop and go back to normal?

I was more unhappy when I had to get cucked at that job everyday. And before I could ever call myself happy, you guys would need to praise me by name for my many great accomplishments.

>when they should work in both realms of math that assume both its falsity and validity.
This proof technique has already been used, Gauss's class number conjecture can be proved by showing that if follows from RH being true and also follows from GRH being false (for the relevant L-functions)

on that fucking job: pic related

I see, well at least you are more happy now. That said, you should not worry about what we think of you. You should find happiness within yourself.

What about the happiness of my flock?

I never praise anyone, all of his success is a result of 1 in a trillion genetics and environment, none of which he chose. Doing this level of math for him is like flying for a bird. Why don't you bow down to birds? They can fly and you can't, definitely they are superior.
Weaklings.

>Dude you must be talking out of your ass.
Your feefees don't influence reality.

>I am sure this kind of stuff barely even happens in math.
It's actually a function of power (usually hand-in-hand with money but not always). For example if a new niche math discipline popped up with a total of 3 practitioners, there would almost certainly be no political backstabbing among them. However there would be constant attacks from other people toward them. And as the group of practitioners grow more and more, there will be one, then a few, then many political entities trying to take over and reach the top through underhanded means that have nothing at all to do with knowledge, skill, intelligence or ability in the domain (as opposed to in politics).

>And much less to people like Terence Tao who are at the top.
More like, where is your evidence that tao rose to the top through his own work and not by stealing from other people? When you reach the top in this way you just continue as you always have. In any case it's the exact opposite: the higher someone is, the more politics there are. In particular, tao has to deal with politics constantly just to get funding, for example. Real hardcore shit. It's very likely but not proven that he would also abuse political moves against people under him as people on top in academia almost all do. It's not all black, but it still mostly is. But consider someone who is not at the top trying to take a stab at someone at the top. The only real way to kill politics is through politics, thus just to stay on top tao would have to play politics to save himself anyway. That's not the benign use I'm suggesting though.

Fuck I guess you could be right but really, why would mathematicians backstab each other? All the ones I've met are so friendly and so eager to share their knowledge.

>The only real way to kill politics is through politics
>implying nuclear war isn't real
t. El Arcón

fucking winglets get off my board

It's a mix of several factors. It comes down to competitiveness for most, but for some it's just plain sociopathy (they don't want to compete, they want to be recognized as "the best" regardless of the truth, or they want the money associated with high-visibility tenured profs (grants, salary, consultancy, ability to start conferences, it piles up)).

When you work on something for years, it almost becomes an obsession. People get very territorial about it, especially if two people or groups are taking research in opposing directions (or even the same direction, one group will claim their method is superior/cleaner/whatever than the other's). Funding is limited, so sabotaging competitors to ensure you can complete your own research might easily sound like a good idea, especially if you're running close to some kind of deadline (e.g. research progress from some other groups). And speaking of which, ensuring you complete your work before someone else is always a pretty thought, but you can't pull ideas out of your ass, it takes time, intuition, luck and whatnot. Professors with prominent students are seen in a good light so why not steal some other student's work and assign it to a prized pupil? It's for the greater good, we really need this research done by next month or all this work would have been for nothing.

The sociopaths are usually very easy to spot, they have a billion ideas but never seem to actually do anything. Then they get published anyway on completely unrelated content to what they seem to be interested in. They can describe other people's research, but only at a superfluous level, and generally can't answer specific questions about the work (at least that's been the case in my anecdotal experience).

The non-sociopaths will play games as described for the reasons elaborated above.

I just want to be a mathematician to have a quiet life. I don't want to deal with all that bullshit, but I'm already three years in. Can't go back now. And it's not like other career paths aren't even shittier.

Correct. You'll have to learn to deal with this and hope you get really lucky with the people you work with. This is "life" for you. As you said it's not like any other option will be any better unless you can somehow delude yourself into thinking you'd like to work on a farm or to flip burgers for the rest of your life.

I guess. Do you have any horror stories to share? I guess I will be able to spot sociopaths unless I am one myself which I doubt, but what are some general red flags you've seen. What general rules can I apply in order to get away from shitty people? And what is your opinion on just saying "fuck it" and working alone?

Choke on a feminine penis.

Lol at first upon lurking this thread I thought you were maybe some smart math dude

Turns out you're actually an /x/ schizo

Every board has a mascot. /pol/ has Molyneux, /v/ has CWC, at /g/ we have Terry. At Veeky Forums we have who? Tooker? Because he is simmilar to Terry in many ways.

Thinking twice, /pol/ should maybe be Ben Garrison.

I'd like to share my stories but it's too much information I think. High-level map of one: Asshole shittalked behind everyone's backs a really good research around the time everyone expected he was about to receive a professorship to take the professorship for himself, abused it to make sure Researcher was treated worse than fresh students (this continues to this day), and then teamed together with other Assholes (one of which his girlfriend - he tried to hide the relationship from everyone but it was obvious outside the work environment -) to lie to the department head to take control of the lab from the previous manager. All-the-while Asshole reassigned my work to other people, even despite those other people's own public complaints about this, and he did his best to try to prevent me from succeeding, such as by forbidding me from working with other people and telling profs I refused to listen to his advice when all he did when I talked to him was nod and grin. It turns out this was well known about Asshole, but something people obviously couldn't just talk about.

>what are some general red flags you've seen.
They tend to smile a lot, and repeat statements like "I am honest" if they are about to say a lie, very often. They never want to be seen as wrong, either they point at someone else for blame, or they try to gaslight (I never said A and B, I said A or B!). If you suspect the latter, take notes, or if legal, record interactions. Clears the mind. Best is to talk to others to know what they say. If it's a lie, you've got a sociopath.

>What general rules can I apply in order to get away from shitty people?
Connect with people who do not connect with said shitty people, and start working on research that the shitty people aren't interested in together.

> just saying "fuck it" and working alone?
Huge mistake. This gets you tagged as "anti-social", "cold", "disrespects me" and flagged for bullying. So I'm told. No direct experience with this though.

I am sorry but I see you mentioned a "lab". You are not a math guy, are you?

Academia seems like hell. No one seems to think that both authors probably deserved to put their names on the piece. Gosh. What a shit environment academia is.

>Professors with prominent students are seen in a good light so why not steal some other student's work and assign it to a prized pupil? It's for the greater good, we really need this research done by next month or all this work would have been for nothing.

What do you mean by steal? If there is some student who is not doing their shit, I don't think there is anything wrong with assigning their project to someone else who will get it done. We have this shit in my lab. When I joined, there was a project which my prof thinks will be hot shit in the future, the guy who is on it has had 10 months to work on it, but has done next to nothing towards implementation. My prof assigned it to me (and I didn't get shit done because I'm lazy and was still adjusting anyway, it was my first term). But my point is, nothing wrong with this if its because the other student is a lazy fuck and it is a good idea which should be done before someone in some other university scoops it. Its not even stealing, really