Hey Veeky Forums, what currently poses the greatest existential risk to humanity?

Hey Veeky Forums, what currently poses the greatest existential risk to humanity?

strawpoll.me/14891369

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.com/india-pakistan-nuclear-war-would-kill-2-billion-people-end-civilization-report-1503604
duckduckgo.com/?q=India-Pakistan Nuclear War
youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=23m10s
strawpoll.me/14891369
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This needs clarification. Do you mean which would be most likely to lead to humanity's nonexistence? Or which is most likely to occur? What do you mean by existential?

Anyone saying pandemic or climate change is retarded. Ask yourself if the wealthy can avoid these problems before deciding they pose the biggest risk.

Climate change is actually occurring and will continue to occur.

That makes it a great chance of something that actually happens, but not necessarily the greatest risk. Risk is probability times effect size, and effect size is limited -- climate change is not going to kill off humanity in the way that nanotech or an alien invasion might.

liberalism
>liberalism
liberalism
>liberalism
liberalism
>liberalism
liberalism
>liberalism

You’re sounding a bit like a broken record there buddy

the nuclear bombs

The chance of it occurring and killing off humanity is far greater than nanotechnology or alien invasion.

We're vastly underequipped for a real pandemic.

>broken record

pal, this is Veeky Forums. I sound like:
[math]z=z_0 +Re^{iθ}[/math]
for decreasing iterations of [math]θ=2πn[/math] where [math]n≤0[/math]

All the answers are retarded but pandemic is the only one that seems plausible to me.
AI: low chance of dominance and even lower of it becoming harmful.
Asteroid: we know what the dangerous bodies in our solar-system are doing.
Biotech: Can't really see this going bad.
Climate: Could kill us but more likely it would force us to move to more habitable areas or die.
ET: fucking give me a break with this /x/ shit.
Nanotech: Eh we can't build anything that is capable of doing much anyways.
Nuclear war: probably just one or two countries and cities wiped off the map.
Pandemic: could happen but it would take a convergence of a bad bug combined with human incompetence.
Super-volcanoes: Eh don't know much about thins but could be plausible, much less preventable but at the same much less predictable or likely.

>alien invasion
Do brainlets actually believe this?

>Nuclear war: probably just one or two countries and cities wiped off the map.

If India and Pakistan blow up just half of their bombs at each other, the world food crops are fucked. Within a year everyone will be in a war against everyone else for food and water - to say nothing about ISIS-type psychopath movements springing up everywhere.

>implying americans need to import curry and goat to survive

corn starch nigga

>India and Pakistan
>world food crops are fucked
By what logic are these two different events linked?

good fucking luck eating when climate change makes that impossible.

>all these people saying artificial intelligence

deluded brainlets

Oh no my AI has gained sentience and is pissed off about something.

>Tesla car rams into your building
>Robots in your factory quit
>Roomba chases you around terrorizing you

>roombas go on strike

>Implying I don't drive stick
>implying my robots can even get a new job in this market
>Implying I wont dominate my Roomba in an arm-wrestling match.

The Tesla doesn't have to be yours, nibba

jet streams

ibtimes.com/india-pakistan-nuclear-war-would-kill-2-billion-people-end-civilization-report-1503604

duckduckgo.com/?q=India-Pakistan Nuclear War

youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=23m10s
-------------------------------------
thumbnail explanation why food supply gets hit

Agree

That article is fucking turbo-garbage.

>corn and soy production in USA cut by 10%

oh noooo our food will cost 10% extra what ever will we dooooo

The "study" referenced in this article is basically someone reading a couple of related studies and then saying they were underestimating.
>The calculations in this initial study are probably conservative

>tesla rams into my office building
>crumples against the concrete foundation

welp

Rapid and uncontrolled population growth mainly coming from populations with an average IQ of 70.

Jews.

>probably conservative
well, for one, they will blow up all of them, they're not going to use half of the nukes and stop there

>no option for jews
>no option for replacement by trash races that drive back humanity to caveman levels

Shit poll kys

>complains about jews
>complains about some bullshit racist dream that they are superior to anyone
Shit /pol/ kys

>Libtard having his feeling hurt
L.O.L.

>>>/ribbit/

Kikes

Listen to yourself you aren't even emulating those /pol/tards correctly.

Ai leads...

Lot of muscovites and /futurology teenagers here.

this isnt good

Biotechnology

I find it hilarious that during the black plague, the church would offer protection from illness for money, but in a modern day plague scenario, the assurance science would offer would hardly be any better.

>>implying my robotic overlord wouldn't pay me to murder you.

that's a burn victim, brainlet. nice attempt at false flagging though.

Care to give some context for the image?

Anyone who voted AI needs to be shot.

Over my cold dead Cybernetic meatbag hands,

Implying a few larpers could penetrate my lair's defenses.

The basilisk.

>not listing the degeneration of norms and values in western society

>not listing atheism

>existential risk to humanity
Chinese hegemony

not even memeing

most of the world adopts the ways and culture of the superpower of its time

Muslimsm, nazis, brainless consum cattle, radical capitalism... all kindergarden shit compared to the soulless insect deamons who rule china today and in future

>implying western society matters

>Implying that religion is anything more than proto-philosophy with no factual basis
Fuck outta here, fundie

big if true

Came here to say this

>burn victim
no
allergic reaction

>strawpoll.me/14891369
one of those options should be
>humans

>muh AI goes bad
There hasn't been a single A.I. and there won't ever be one.

If your roomba has grown arms it's already too late
You're fucked

Keep repeating that, sure it will be true.

this. anyone who didnt pick pandemic is a moron.

Anthropogenic Climate change, STD superbugs caused by degeneracy and spiritually the rise in deconstructive marxist propagandish subjects in college like gender studies that'll put people in debt and cause a rise in number of unemployed workers.

The hugh Gap between the Billion Poor People and some few really really Rich People, is causing sinnless deads everyday.

china is a lot less degenerate than the western world
I'm happy they are going to rule us

thisu

The key to surviving an airborne pandemic is isolation. The tinfoil hat prepper living out in Greenland is much more likely to survive than a billionaire in NYC. The more low paid subordinates you surround yourself with (cooks, maids, chauffeurs, work assistants, etc.), the more likely you are to be infected.

In short, clean your own shitter.

>Social media

It's controlled by bots, and the bots are controlled by AI that use meta data to predict peoples reactions and attempts to control peoples thoughts. The AI are controlled by foreign powers which mean EVERYONE IS LITERALLY BEING BRAINWASHED BY FOREIGN AGENCIES!!!!!
Seriously, at this very fucking moment the US and many EU countries are crippled by people brainwashed by ultimately by foreign counties!
Why is everyone not flipping out over this! Oh right, everyone already been brainwashed ....

How have you escaped being brainwashed?

everyone's a little brainwashed.

>not picking climate change just because it's the most realistic and therefore difficult to accept and also the least exciting and also the most antithetical to your way of living
okay

A genetically and biologically engineered airborne pathogen

Everyone wants to think we'll be killed off by asteroids or terminators or airborne ebola, because at least then it wouldn't be our fault.
Climate Change is just the Tragedy of the Commons on a global scale: It's the slowest, most predictable disaster imaginable.

Yes, and for that reason, it's simultaneously very easy to ignore and very hard to get anyone to actually care about.

This. I don't understand why nuclear has so many votes.

The problem with slow deaths is we will almost surely adapt to them, and therefore not be deaths at all

Who is we my nigga? People in developing nations are the ones most affected by climate change and do you really expect the well off nations to feel much pressure when they're not the ones suffering? I assure you by the time first world countries feel any sense of urgency it will be too late. We'll have gone past that point of no return and lose our ability to control this situation.

>Hey Veeky Forums, what currently poses the greatest existential risk to humanity?
A lot missing there.

My answer would be non-white.

An asteroid wrecking our shit
Nuclear war

Actually, anything that can kill us in a short span of time, we easily adapt to gradual changes

>nobody voting nanotech
But what happens when the crypto-elites mandate aerosol-like nanotech be sprayed over all humans?

>Artificial Intelligence
popsci for teens
>Asteroid Impact
pop culture
>Biotechnology
plausible (>70 years)
>Climate Change
plausible (>100 years)
>Extraterrestrial Invasion
pop culture
>Nanotechnology
plausible (>150 years)
>Nuclear War
fearmongering
>Pandemic
improbable if not >Biotechnology
>Supervolcanoes
plausible (>100000 years)
>(((them)))
this

Pandemics

1. Because dwumpf supporters want to close off immigration and therefore creating pockets were viruses can mutated without other parts of the world being able to generate populations with resistance to viruses. The reverse is also true where the US becomes incapable of developing resistance to viruses in other parts of the world.

2. If a major flu like the Spanish flu came this year we would have literally no defense against it other than to wait 1 year for it to pass. Antiviral meds are pretty shit. Surprisingly shit.

>no overpopulation
>no spread of islam
>no liberalism

>climate change and ai getting half the votes
Just in case you forgot half Veeky Forums is still in high school and underage