“Japanese food was created here, and only Japanese know it,” Mr. Kadowaki said in an interview...

>“Japanese food was created here, and only Japanese know it,” Mr. Kadowaki said in an interview. “How can a bunch of foreigners show up and tell us what is good or bad?”
FRENCH WEEBS BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eS328g08utI
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/directtalk/20170919/
dictionary.com/browse/restaurateur?s=t
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kek

>non Japanese people don't have tongues

Also Michelin has had a heavy bias for East Asian food after getting called out for being too Eurocentric, so take Michelin stars at Asian restaurants with a pitcher of salt. Every other shithole in Asia is getting a star. I think they even gave on to a fucking food cart or some shit.

Yea lmao a street food vendor in Thailand

Chinese stopped eating raw fish in the Tang dynasty. Because they realized it's a shitty way of eating fish. But Japan, being land of the shitterino still does it even today.

Imagine being so pretentious when all you do is put raw fish on top of rice

Literally
>it's okay when Japan does it

You don't even realize how much of an art form sushi is.
The japanese small grain rice, specifically chosen by hand on a grain to grain basis is washed in small batches by a cook who has trained for 10 years specifically to wash rice over a thousand times and is personally inspected by the rice cook before being put in a rice cooker blessed by kami-sama himself after the cook prays to buddha 5 times before the chef takes his proprietary vinegar seasoning which is created by obtaining the knowledge of the sacred scrolls of edo period sushi gods passed down from generation to generation within the family only to the children with the specific blood type personality traits to qualify them to be the chef. The rice is seasoned perfectly while the rice is warm and as it cools to the exact body temperature of the chef (which is maintained at a perfect constant through zen meditation) when it is then ready to be formed in his well trained hands.
Yeah sweetie I don't think you know what you're talking about. Learn how sushi is made before you criticize one of the most artistic forums of cooking to be created.

It's like a movie that references national culture, it's intertwined within the cultural context.

Perhaps it recreates a taste known popular to citizens of a certain era, perhaps it relates to a certain cultural event. Like movie popcorn, ballpark hotdogs, state fair funnel cakes, that first soft serve with your family in the summer. They carry certain emotional values and memories.

But this is all moot because DUDE RAW FISH LMAO

>they even gave one to a fucking food cart or some shit.

That's more in keeping with the original intent of the guide than the pretentious bullshit that it eventually became.

The original intent of the guide was "give people an excuse to drive more so they buy more tires"

As snooty and out of touch as it has become, I'll take the current guide over naked marketing schemes any day.

>"give people an excuse to drive more so they buy more tires"

...which is vastly different than the current system that only celebrates douchebag "master" chefs in pretentious expensive restaurants that most people will never try.

>Perhaps it recreates a taste known popular to citizens of a certain era
It doesn't
>perhaps it relates to a certain cultural event
It doesn't

Well so much for that.

Only old people eat whale in Japan, maybe it is something like that.

If it was hyperspecific like the examples you gave in your previous post, he'd have an issue with people of certain age groups or other Japanese regions critiquing his food, not just a blanket group like "foreigners." Japanese food is nowhere near as complex as other national cuisines (Indian, Mexican, French, Italian, and many others) to even warrant the amount of attention it gets from Michelin. I think he was just butthurt he wasn't get 3 stars like the other guys despite making the exact same stuff with the exact same autistic level of attention to detail.

It's just raw fish on rice fuck off

>falling for the fresh fish meme
What's it like to be an idiot?

i love fresh pasta

That's the thing though he made the same thing. The first guy was original. It needs to be diffrent to get a third star

I think this is a dumb thing to do but can respect the Japanese sense of honour.

China probably stopped eating it because the population can't get it fresh.

It's intended to have a regional bias. Euro, US and Asia stars are given to best restaurants in their region, not best over all. Yep, the 'my country has more stars than your country' thing is pretty retarded.

..and I don't think they care about being called out, it's just a new market. They want to make money doing this ffs

Maybe the cunt knew that if he turned down the Michelin and said shit about Westerners his restaurant would get way more publicity than the listing itself would have gotten. Now his restaurant will be in the news and have an internet history based on controversy and outrage and people willingly going into his restaurant to spend money there just to spite his premise.

I bet you people don't even play 4D chess.

>which is vastly different than the current system that only celebrates douchebag "master" chefs in pretentious expensive restaurants that most people will never try.
You mad that people like nice things?

He's right you know.

He's right you know!

>You mad that people like nice things?
You mad that people don't value pretentious bullshit?

>You mad that people don't value pretentious bullshit?
That must be why the michelin guide is bleeding money and no one wants to see their restaurant get a star, because it'll ruin their business?

he's right but in that case why does he care about their rating

A Michelin star can be a headache for restaurants because "fine dining" rich fucks show up out of woodwork and abuse wait staffs (What, I can't yell at the waitress for no fucking reason? I yell at the peons at Four Seasons all the time! Why I never!)and leave terrible reviews on various sites if the food, service, and decor don't meet their preconceived notion of fine dining (i.e. some crazy flambe shit right on their designer furniture table while the maitre d' literally sucks their dicks).

Many restaurants have asked the Michelin Guide to drop them because of this.

>no one wants to see their restaurant get a star, because it'll ruin their business?

I have never met a single person in my life that gives two shits about the Michelin star rating system. Not a single one. It's pretentious bullshit, like the academy awards in the film industry, or the Nobel "peace prize".

Michelin Stars are Like the kosher symbol for the
Illuminati...
Lizard food approval

My motto:
youtube.com/watch?v=eS328g08utI

Just eat food
try not to be crude or lewd

Damn all these food rules and snobbery--
Just for that I'm eating sushi with ketchup

>I have never met
Nice anecdotal evidence you have there, bud.

That's the reality of the Michelin system.

Nobody gives a fuck except pretentious food dorks.

>Pitcher of salt
Do I really have to eat a whole pitcher of salt?

Is this pasta? Because it's overwrought and underfunny shite that shouldn't be.

This guy gets it.

Supposedly their bias is toward Japan so Michelin can get into the Japanese tire market.

I don't know whats wrong with judging all restaurants by a French standard though (or any standard). Just let those bitching create their own standard and judge everyone else. The people that find the standard suits their taste will use it.
Not sure about that. The three star is supposed to mean one can plan a trip just to eat there. While a one star means to eat there if you happen to be in the area.

>telling the French to fuck off

Just when you think the Japs couldn't be any more based, they go and do something like this

A few days ago a french chef who's had stars for years requested they be removed due to the pressure. He'd rather cook great food for local people than random tourists and hidden Michelin inspectors. Iirc, he wants the freedom to make mistakes when he tries new dishes, at the moment every dish he makes has a fear that maybe one of the 500 plates he sends out will cause him to lose a star.

Another french chef killed himself after losing a star.

Other chefs have purposely closed and rebranded their restaurants to avoid the star.

For many chefs, stars are more hassle than they're worth.

This, the french can eat a fucking dick
Fuck the french

You could get the stars and simply not care that you have them. Supposedly Jiro didn't give two shits when he got them. I think if you get them, it should be that they were relatively effortless. Not because you had to feel like you were going above and beyond just to get them.

That's a very interesting way of looking at Stars. If they hamper innovation in branded restaurants due to fear of failure, then that paradoxically makes them far worse than they were before they were awarded stars in the first place.

this is cooked pasta, you eejit.

The problem which makes this a false equivalence is that Jiro, by the nature of his chosen discipline of cooking (sushi and sashimi), mainly concerns himself with not letting his preparation standards slip (apart from tinkering with octopus massages), whereas other chefs in other disciplines have to constantly innovate and one-up each other in order to stand out from the crowd.

This isn't an attack against Jiro as the man is practically a sage by any standard, but standing firmly in one spot is a far different experience compared to a constant struggle upwards.

My beef is with all the restaurants chasing stars with the meme elements of modernist cuisine. "Look, barely edible beef you can technically safely eat with a topping of spherical soy sauce all injected with liquid nitrogen gravy. Aren't we clever?"

But in all fairness, that's what they have to do to keep up with the Redzepis, Rocas and countless Cordon Bleus crowding the market. It's simply not good enough to serve classic recipes done well when everyone's dissecting, deconstructing and reconstructing the hell out of food to show their superior grasp of the fundamental principles and metaphysical concepts of 'food' and 'eating. The high-class chef of today is a food-scientist, artist, and philosopher in equal measure.

W E W
E
W

That's the truth, take it or leave it.

I think that Japanese food is overrated.
The countries of the world have their own food culture.
There is food culture in Japan as well.
But, as the world countries love their own food culture, Japanese love Japanese food culture too.
It is neither more nor less than that.

>call good restaurants pretentious
>don't know anyone who has heard of Michelin guide.
Hmmmm sounds mighty flyover

>says it's good
>is an insulting prick when somebody else says it's good too
What an idiot.

Who gives a fuck about nips think? We nuked em twice and made them our bitches

>Started as a literal roadmap
>Gets blamed of eurocentrism

Japanese food is raw something over rice with soy sauce. Everything is drenched or drowned in soy sauce. Not saying its not tasty but it is repetitive and staid, just like jap cartoons.

>Everybody likes their own food.
It took you a lot of words to say that.

All fine except when they forget the end result needs to actually taste good.

"Those who say Japanese cuisine is unknowable to foreigners are sorely mistaken."
-Yoshihiro Murata owner and head chef Kikunoi Honten (3 star Michelin)

For a different perspective check this guy out. I think he has a much more practical view.
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/directtalk/20170919/

It does. Have you ever eaten any of it? Of course not.

I have and it was fucking cold. They lit it on fire at my table but it only warmed up like 1mm of the surface and that cooled after like one bite.

>Not sure about that. The three star is supposed to mean one can plan a trip just to eat there. While a one star means to eat there if you happen to be in the area.

That's a reasonable standard, but it has exploded into something it was never meant to be.

he is basically right. I would refuse some gay ass fucking frenchie turd award too.
they mean fuckall like the Oscars. it's a circlejerk of pretentious ass fuckers.

>using "flyover"
Sounds mighty pretentious.

>the current system that only celebrates douchebag "master" chefs in pretentious expensive restaurants that most people will never try.

While it's a cute stereotype, it isn't true. Of course there are a bunch of "top" Chefs doing insane things with expensive ingredients in there: because their food is amazing, too. That doesn't mean that all there is; I've been to pubs with Michelin stars where a two course meal cost £20 a head.

>flyovers think anyone who isn't from their dirt patch is pretentious
shoowee i darnt telled mah we ain't need no fancee koozeen 'round hur, no siree!

What restaurant was it?

For example Noma gets some press for having ants crawling around your plate. Now every hack chasing a star is throwing insects on your plate. "Catch them, its fun". I could do that outside and save $600. Or they shit all over the tablecloth and tell you to eat it. So bold, so creative, so unappetizing. And it's not modernist cuisine I'm against. I actually really enjoy it. It's when it adds nothing or even hurts the dish. Gordon Ramsey actually called this out on one of his shows where he was trying to find a best new restaurant or some shit like that. The chefs were just insisting to their customers that they should eat this meat they prepared and the customers just thought it was gross and unprepared. They were technically right that the meat was safe to eat. But nobody actually wanted to eat it. And they fault the customers rather than their own arrogance. Ramsey then correctly reminded them what their job is.

That's great, but you didn't address the quality of the food. You only moaned about presentation.

>meat deemed inedible by customers
>simply presentation issue

There's a difference between a Michelin starred restaurant and one on a Gordon Ramsay drama TV show.

>read examples
>move goal post
"My beef is with all the restaurants chasing stars"
ie. not necessarily those with stars.

>all this butthurt

>Noma gets some press for having ants crawling around your plate.

And now he's more notable than 99% of all Michelin starred restaurateurs.
There's really nothing particularly notable about barefaced advertising decisions; the guy figures he'll get more customers to come in by appealing to national pride than international acclaim.
Although in reality he'll probably get both anyway since he now runs the Japanese restaurant that's so ""authentic"" that all the traveling epicureans just HAVE to try.

I can't remember the name but it was in Atlanta. Maybe the south is just shit.

I bet that shit is so fucking good whether it deserves a star or not.

>restaurateurs
Learn to spell before posting here.
Retard.

>Maybe the south is just shit.

Remove the adverb from your sentence and s'truth.

This should be interesting
How do YOU think that word is spelled

dictionary.com/browse/restaurateur?s=t

You are right. But at the same time Michelin is a us based company. No they should not be considered the international authority on food. No one should. It's a dumb idea all together. But at the same time I think they have a right to have their biased opinions and to publish them. Then the Japanese can come rate Philly's cheestake to be worse than the many knockoffs and we can be up in arms even though they are right.

Don't care about the chinkshit but lmao @ tire company getting btfo

>Michelin is a us based company

pls be a bait, pls be a bait, pls be a bait

They can't. They can tell others what they think is good, and they can promote interest. Whether or not you personally put any stock in that is up to you, but they do have a large following and have developed a sense of authority, in so far as critics can.

>The high-class chef of today is a food-scientist, artist, and philosopher in equal measure.

Welcome to Noma. Heres your Appetizer.

I went to Noma last summer, you jealous much poorfag?

Can you source that.

>1 pencil
what a rip

>The French can eat a fucking dick

The Chinese are the ones that do that though

I highly appreciate the nationalism.

Based nip

add a fuckton of salt and lime juice to that onion and it would be perfect

>Average French Meal Prep
Take finest hand raised olive oil produced in the Austrian coastal plains and add to a fine cast iron pan
Slice with the Chopoin Du Marseille technique a large white onion, celery
Finely crush and debone Spanish garlic cloves using an entirely hand melded garlic boning knife
Add the onion to the pan, cook until texture is Le Dante and soft enough to melt in the mouth
Add Garlic and toast briefly, within a 1 degree temperature range for no more and no less than 60 seconds
Add celery to a wok
Add butter, milk and flour - all taken from organically, french cows milk and cows wheat
Add to the pan to create a roux
Stir the roux, without creating any lumps. If lumps are created, the entire meal is discarded, all onions in the home are burnt as tradition in Saint-Denis mountains would dictate, and new food is bought and meal is started again
When roux is created, chicken stock is added to the pan. The chicken stock MUST have been hand made, using the bones of a chicken which had a bone density of at least 5()433*** and MUST be seasoned to perfection
Boil the chicken stock and roux down to a fine sauce
Add butter, bacon, Tolouse Swiss Sausage, and Beef cuttings to the pan
Cook for 2 minutes until the internal temperature matches the external air temperature of the rifle muzzle owned by one of the Charlie Hebdo shooters during his Islamic rampage across Paris
Add breadcumbs to pan
Place pan in oven for at least 2 hours
Take out and serve your delicious Cassoulet

>Average Japanese 'meal' prep
Wrap dead fish processed white rice
Wrap in rotting sea grass
Dip in rotting soybeans

hmmmm

Bongs don't like much of their own food