I've never read any theatre beyond Shakespeare in school. What theatre should I be reading...

I've never read any theatre beyond Shakespeare in school. What theatre should I be reading? I have no desire to actually watch plays being performed so only stuff that can work with the text alone.

Death Of A Salesman probably

I read this awhile back. Makes me feel good that I'm just as dumb as the teacher in the play

Start with the Greeks. No really, read Aeschylus, Sophocles and euripides

Waiting for Godot

Meme tier.

>not Aristophanes

See

>What theatre should I be reading? I have no desire to actually watch plays being performed

Of reasonably modern ones, Peter Shaffer is great. Does anybody know where to find "Lettice and Lovage", by the way?

Dr Faustus and Waiting for Godot.

You know Hamlet well? Try Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

STOP READING PLAYS, THEY ARE MEANT TO BE PERFORMED, AT LEAST VOICE ALL THE CHARACTERS AS YOU READ THROUGH THAT SHIT.

Streetcar named desire or something idk.

Ben Jonson is pretty hilarious (The Alchemist, Volpone)

Harold Pinter is always good for a laugh. Read The Dumb Waiter and The Room. You're in for a treat.

The Greeks. Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripedes, Aristophanes, Euphorion.

The Romans. Plautus, Terence, Melissus, Seneca, Lucius Accius.

The Medievals. Vitalis of Blois, Adam de la Halle.

The morality and mystery plays and interludes (Everyman, etc.).

English Renaissance (Shakespeare, Jonson, Marlowe Webster, Ford)

Moliere, Marivaux, Racine, Corneille

Spanish Golden Age: Lope de Vega, Tirso de Molina, Moreto, Montalban

Restoration: Wycherly, Vanbrugh

Glengarry Glen Ross

I don't know anything about theatre beyond what I read in school (I'm french so I read some Moliere, Corneille, Racine, Mariveaux). I never read Shakespeare. Should I? My english is okay but not perfect: should I try to read it in english anyway?

Also, how should I read theater? Is it necessary to read it in one sitting?

"Antigone" by Jean Anouilh

tu vas te casser les dents poto c'est du vieil anglais (après tu peux lire une autre version que l'originale mais c'est tout autant dur)

Je sais que c'est du vieil anglais, mais bon, faut bien s'y confronter un jour. Et puis je peux le prendre sur Kindle histoire d'avoir un dictionnaire facile d'accès.

tu peux essayer perso rien qu'avec du vieux français j'ai de la peine

Henrik Ibsen.

I think we took the same survey course.

Wow that scull looks like he was a fun guy

shaw

>how should I read theater?
drama*
Definitely the most important aspect is making your eyes move left to right over each row while you're registering the words and creating a sort of a "mental movie" as you go along.
I also recently started imagining the characters' voices with more care, adding a particular tone and inflection to them where they seem to fit.
>Is it necessary to read it in one sitting?
Absolutely not.