Why do we obsess so much about this piece of shit rock

Why do we obsess so much about this piece of shit rock

There's nothing there

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Jockey_(novel)
youtu.be/uhkxdnzkY78
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_gradient
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TauTona_Mine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>There's nothing there

Citation?

This. Mars still has a semi-molten core, meaning that if you go down far enough, temperatures will be favorable for life. Combine that with the fact that it used to be covered with water and it seems likely that there's probably some underground caverns on Mars with water and microorganisms in them.

lots of fe

t. martian

There might be water and microorganisms

I'm not amazed, but then again I never got people's fascination with space in general.

Mars isn't a very nice place. No magnetic field doesn't bode well for a molten core. And it there is still internal heat, it's so far down that no cavern could stay open for an instant. Mars' crust is so thick that it has no plate tectonics.

The value of Mars is that it isn't Earth. All our eggs are in one basket. Some unstable leaders, a really bad virus, or a fairly small asteroid could wipe us out root and branch. I want to see a "backup". It won't happen soon.
Elon Musk is much too optimistic. But it ought to be a goal, even if in the long-term.

A Lunar Colony would also be good. Not AS good (because not as distant) but much cheaper.

lol sour grapes you astronautlet

>nothing there
Mars is a huge salt mine tho

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars

>There's nothing there
There is a lot of mass.
That should count for something, right?

Muh sci-fi stories about star maidens, alien monsters and space cowboys.

>meaning that if you go down far enough, temperatures will be favorable for life

How far down though? Isn't it difficult to reach that depth on Earth? Is it even feasible on Mars?

Why do those cartoon planets have tits?

They may as well go play in the desert on Earth for all the good playing on Mars will do. Just prevent there's no atmosphere or something.

>Why do we obsess so much about this piece of shit rock

volatiles such as water and carbon dioxide

a very rare resource in inner solar system, yet crucial for colonization

>colonization
>Mars

JELLO BABIES!
JELLO BABIES!
JELLO BABIES!

>microorganisms on other planets wouldn't be cool as shit
get out of my face you faggot

>I'm not amazed, but then again I never got people's fascination with space in general.

They are more amazed by huge numbers, neat photos of nebulae, and sci-fi. That's really all.

>Spend literally trillions of millions of dollars on space research
>Find idk some shit that could just as well have been found living under my ballsack
wow

>trillions of millions
>extraterrestrial life is same as terrestrial life
I dunno even where to start

/thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Jockey_(novel)

1952 juvenile SF novel. Race around the Solar System is the Armstrong Classic, named in honor of the first man to land on the Moon.

>trillions of millions

1 trillion million is 1 quintillion.

youtu.be/uhkxdnzkY78

Minus Earth, it's the only planet we can walk on.

Can't make it up.

Valles marineris sure is interesting

>water and carbon dioxide
>a very rare resource in inner solar system
huh?

Plenty of CO2 on Venus. Too much.

A lot of people are only interest in Mars because of its sense of mysterious and distance from the earth. Nobody in real life would actually want to go on vacation to a desert.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_gradient

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TauTona_Mine

Actually not. In fact it's hard to avoid it. The really deep gold mines in South Africa have massive cooling because they go above 100F just a few miles below the surface. I never understood why more people don't build stuff underground in cold places. Just 20 feet underground and most places are 68F all year long.

I don't know about Mars. There are conflicting data on how warm it is underground there.

Titan is better. 1.5 atmospheres pressure (equivalent to 15 feet undersea) and 97% nitrogen. All you would need to walk around is an oxygen mask and a really warm coat. Your "station" could be inflated and heated TENTS.

Only thing Mars has is 50% the sunlight of earth. Shit gravity, shit vacuum atmosphere, shit radiation, shit desert, and cold as fuck.

Humans cannot survive the trip to Mars.

Space travel is utterly pointless and doomed from the start.

I'm all for Titan but isn't it kind of cold there? Not sure how well warm coats will do but I have the nagging feeling maybe us two should take something better for the expedition? Just in case.

Lots of natural resources there and no annoying ocean or magma so we can mine it just fine.

So we believe in ayys on Mars now?

>Titan
>really warm coat
>-200C

>-179°C
>Really warm coats
Hahahahaha

Still better than a space suite and near vacuum.

>permanent hydrogen cyanide storm at the south pole

I think it looks pretty, that's about all I need to care about it.

But people go on vacation in the desert all the damn time.

Somebody does not know the limits of his autofocus.

I don't think you know just how cold -179 CELSIUS actually is.
In fact, at that point it's a better indicator to talk about how little heat there is.
If you think you can put on a couple layers and a coat and walk outside, guess again.

I'd go as far to say that due to convection, you'd freeze to death on the surface of titan before you froze to death in space.

Because it's the "next step" humans have associated conquering a planet with "land some dudes on it and plant a flag" we will never have the forward thinking and multilateral teamwork to actually colonize space, humans are a dead end and it's time to accept it.

Modern life has dulled your desire for achievement, OP. We will do it because we're ambitious. How else do we colonize the galaxy?

>I don't think you know just how cold -179 CELSIUS actually is.

-290.2F

That's past the -250F that cryogenics uses. Oxygen boils at -297.3F.

CENTRIFUGAL BROODING PODS

>if we give (((NASA))) enough money for $4 billion probes that might find two soil samples before breaking down, we might find evidence of life that's totally there despite every planet looking like a completely sterile slate! (((why even send people into space? It's not feasible for economical)))

>yfw all real scientists think like this and only the rural rednecks care about flags and footprints, but only when told because otherwise they don't know space exists

>WELCOME TO MY PLANET
>iT'S ICE TO MEET YOU
could be cool

We let this guy exist, you're proving my point, frend.