Why is math mandatory in American schools instead of being optional?

Why is math mandatory in American schools instead of being optional?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=never paid attention learn math&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There would be no point on having education. I think schools are too light

>brainlets

In elementary school? To be a functioning member of society. In middle school? To build up fundamentals for HS because its possible you don't know what you want. In HS? Idk, we should separate more.

Because the math itself is just an application of critical thinking skills. You don't have math for the sake of learning math. You have math so you can evaluate the validity of an argument.

Do you know how many threads we get here from brainlets saying they never paid attention to math during school but now want to get into it because it's a virtual necessity? Too fucking many.

a better question is "why are native language courses mandatory even after literacy is achieved" or "why are foreign languages mandatory considering how useless they are to the vast majority of people"

Thats a shitty argument, thwre better ones to be made but yours is shit. Vy that logic schools should be teaching epistemology

We get 0 of those.

The most cursory of searches shows that you are wrong.

warosu.org/sci/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=never paid attention learn math&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

During the final years of school in australia, math is not mandatory while english is.
I seriously have to wonder who thought the ability to pull meaning from meaningless young adult fiction was so important.

this infuriates me
required english classes at UC Berkeley are harsher than fucking upper division math classes all because you are supposed to see the matrix revealed before you in the thoughtless fiction written by 18th century talentless hacks trying to entertain themselves.
>But becoming literate in completely worthless poetry is going to make you better at reading and writing math research papers, user!
Hmm, what if I was required to take a class were we analyze the diction of math research papers then? I think maybe I'd prefer that.

Clearly, you didn't do well in your HS math classes.

0.0001/10 bait
sage

>The average high schooler can evaluate the validity of an argument
Yeah, alright.

American schools don't teach us jack niggidy split. Math is the only fucking practical thing they teach us in these shit holes, the only thing that can be objectively right or wrong. Have you seen our English classes? Our History classes? A city full of experts on "outline notes", completing study guides, and writing retarded essays that aren't scrutinized in any legitimate capacity would rightly starve. Our school system is bullshit based garbage. Results and reality are secondary to obedience and subscription to a system simply because it is The System. Within this collosal waste of tax money, math is the saving grace - and you want to make it optional? Piss off.

Amen. All that crap is a product of liberal influence in the college system. Subjectivity gives the authority freedom to bullshit you. Reality can't hide in STEM courses so they force us to do all this garbage.

This is a failure of the highschool, not a failure of the subject.

So, math should be mandatory, because it could, theoretically, teach you something, even though, in fact, the large majority of students do not learn that thing. Why?

The point is that you can objectively measure the capacity of the students reasoning skills. Can't do that with other subjects because they're either memorization (biology,chemistry) or easily faked (english,social studies).

>high school students can't memorize their way through math classes

Mathematics is the memetical measurement of zero-padding. This is the same as sending your neurons/brain to the gym to get buff.

It is as vital as P.E. but because Mathematics has no global formalization everyone argues over representation rather than congruence.

More than ANY other subject, Maths prefers to be branded by some mathematicians name. Which is categorically unmathematical.

I mean, if the teacher is a retard and uses the same questions. But even if you do a systems of equations problem, you'll see those who get it vs. Those who don't

so dubya's friends can sell textbooks

they'll memorize the procedures
hell even 90% of high school level calculus is rote memorization in burgerscape

>remembering which equation goes with which type of problem is not rote memorization

Maybe you should realize that the purpose of the western education system was never to turn you into a machine that could perform a single highly specialized thing in one small part of stem and otherwise be an uncultured pleb until the past forty or so years in America.
I study physics and still spend a huge portion of my free time reading. I wish my stem-obsessed school would force the kids here to take some real English classes to teach them to have an interesting thought every now and then. I had to take a single English class my freshman year, and I expected it to be about literature, but it was fucking "Folklore in Videogames" because my school (correctly) thinks nobody here has the ability to meaningfully engage in literally anything that isn't on a screen.

>Clearly
Sure.

>I study physics
>I wish my stem-obsessed school would force the kids here to take some real English classes to teach them to have an interesting thought every now and then

kek

We should teach math and epistemology.
Honestly schools should just be set up like the symposium.

What is this supposed to be expressing

I'll let you figure it out, maybe you'll have a few interesting thoughts in the process

>We should teach math and epistemology.
My highschool had a "theory of knowledge" course in the IB track.

All future jobs and careers are math reliant. Liberal Arts ain't gonna get you anywhere, not even starbucks, those jobs are getting automated.

>a few posts

>the most cursory
In other words not in depth at all. There are obviously more than those few posts.