Americans scored on average 8/12 on the Pew Research Center latest science knowledge quiz

Americans scored on average 8/12 on the Pew Research Center latest science knowledge quiz.
Can you do better?

pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

Other urls found in this thread:

pewinternet.org/2015/09/10/other-demographic-patterns-in-science-knowledge/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It breaks down how well different groups did at the end. Jesus Christ black people are stupid.

KEK

Easy, though the astrology question was a bit unexpected.

12/12, although the boiling water one was a toss up, couldn't remember which way it was.

>men outstrip women in every single question. The only question where women come close (and still fail) to match men is the one quasi-trick question at the end about pseudoscience, astrology, because women know that bullshit
>likelihood of correct replies monotonically increases with higher education levels
>with just two very slight, marginal exceptions (the boiling question and the astrology curve-ball), performance monotonically increases going from nig-spic-up-to-cracker
>seniors underperform, only pulling out Jonas Salk and Uranium because they lived through that media coverage and not due to capacity for abstract thought. As one spoiler for which I give credit where it's due, they know why the tides work, which suggests better understanding of practical mechanics/matters of the world, but otherwise the elders are not the smarters as the required knowledge changes with increasing rapidity
>laughing pepe.jpg

The data presented totally vindicate my ageism, my sexism and my racism. Full disclosure: the one I missed was the boiling water question, the one the rest had the hardest time with. I must not have been paying attention that week.

>That racial breakdown at the end

The real test is not going to the site and preventing someone from getting shekels from your for free.

I got 12/12. I thought PV = nRT for the question, but I'm not sure if that's the approach. Could a chemfag confirm?

since the problem focuses on phase changes, a phase diagram is more appropriate than the ideal gas law, which is used to approximate the qualities of a gas under certain scenarios
not a chemfag btw

>and not capacity for abstract thought
the whole thing is a fucking memory test, let’s not pretend any critical reasoning is needed. have you considered that the material is all basically shit that they teach directly in the classroom, so it makes sense that people who have been out of school for a while and niggers who went to shit-tier inner city public schools would have forgotten (or never even learned) a lot of this stuff. women, however, have no excuse. burn the roasties.

No that's for gasses.
Yup

I fucked up the magnifying glass one because I didn't think about it.

[citation needed]

Personally, I find the most helpful way is to imagine the boiling reaction at a molecular level. At higher altitudes, pressure is lower, meaning that the molecules of water aren’t as tightly packed together and therefore require less energy to excite them into a phase change (boiling). Thus the boiling point would be lower at higher altitudes - less pressure makes for easier separation.

nice

>the one I missed was the boiling water question

The atmospheric pressure boiling point of a liquid (also known as the normal boiling point) is the temperature at which the vapor pressure equals the ambient atmospheric pressure.

Thus, the lower the surrounding atmospheric pressure, the lower the boiling point.

yea boi

>missing any of those easy, basic questions
Get out.

12/12 faggot

Jesus Christ either people were lying about their educational level or people are dumb as rocks. How do you get to post grad without knowing this basic shit. 12/12 is a must for this crap.

First of all, the image to which you replied just bears out my above findings, in that my racism, sexism ageism are wholly vindicated. Second, you yourself are exhibiting a blindness: you are assuming that all of those postgrads are engaged in the /sciences/, whereas the study never specified this, if I am not mistaken. They could be in integrative basket weaving, business (one does not need to know that the moon affects the tides, though it's nice to know, unless it directly affects one's business, say sea shipping), etc.

>the score of blacks

/pol/ was right again

Not the guy you're replying to, but nothing in a (say) math undergrad or grad program would teach you that the moon effects tides. These are just things you'd expect an educated person would know.

i ded it

white trash didn't take the test
distorts the results

you think hood nigs did?

>takes online IQ test
>10 minutes later
>LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK
>begrudgingly do so for the first time in months
>PLEASE DEPOSIT 10 EUROS TO SEE YOUR RESULT
wtf tell me that beforehand you son of a bitch

Just think about it in a basic logic way. Higher altitude = less pressure = less force keeping the water together = you need less energy to split the intermolecular forces holding the water together

Brainlet here, still got 12/12

If I move to the US, will I be considered normally intelligent?

I'm black and I got 12/12 correct

I must admit I kinda cheated on the vaccine one. If the guy was grouped with other biologists I'd have been be fucked. But I sure as hell know that Curie, Einstein and Newton didn't find a cure for polio.

11/12, fucked that one up.

You’d be considered Einstein-tier in certain regions.

>being this retarded and using (((math formulas))) to answer that simple question
Nice general knowledge losers

>missing the boiling water question
brainlet

11/12, surprised by the magnifying glass one

>t. man who has never been wrong about anything ever
How is life as a narcissist?

Really? You've never played around with a magnifying glass in the sun?

94% can't get a perfect score
Sigh.

Fucking boiling water, how does it work

You shouldn't be here unless you scored 12

You could easily become their king if you tell them you're a wizard

eyyyy

>hurr durr no intellectual difference between races
You lied to me Veeky Forums, /pol/ was right all along.

pol isn't right about anything, ever. They cherry pick instances where science backs up their agenda, and then deny science at all other times. Broken clocks don't tell the time, and brainlet neonazis don't tell truth.

12/12 here. The test was very easy. It's really sad that most people are either so poorly educated or so incurious that only 6% of test takers got the highest score.

On a serious note. Despite ever-present confirmation bias, when virtually every single anecdotal evidence points to /pol/ being at least somewhat right in this case, maybe it's time we stop dismissing it as pseudoscience, though it undoubtedly is one, because then we are committing a meta-fallacy.

Not that user but the study above admits low sampling for blacks and hispanics.

pewinternet.org/2015/09/10/other-demographic-patterns-in-science-knowledge/

>Educational differences across race and ethnic groups may contribute to science knowledge differences among whites, blacks and Hispanics. But whites tend to score higher, on average, on this set of science knowledge questions than do either Hispanics or blacks, even after controlling for education. Such comparisons need to be made cautiously due to the smaller number of respondents in this survey who are African-American (n=259) or Hispanic (n=247). The sample size of these subgroups does not allow for detailed comparisons by education level.

Also with no break down and comparison of educational level by race the results could be explained away simply by a lower amount of blacks and hispanics having bachelor's or post grad degrees in the survey affecting the average even if it follows past trends. And since no where in the 40 page paper from what I saw is it stated how many whites at the highschool level answered correctly compared blacks and hispanics at the college and post grad we can't identify intelligence or ill-prepare college obtainment as the major factor either.

Not saying there aren't differences between races but this particular study shouldn't be what you use to prove it.

Looks like the question about water is the most difficult, but the results: 25% spics, 30% womyn, 33% niggers. Not bad, not bad at all.

I'm black and got 12/12. Kiss my black balls while my white girlfriend sucks the rod, racists.

You're confusing science with scholasticism.

this made me wonder: in each question you choose one answer among 4
so among the people who have no clue, you would still get ~25% correct answers (of course assuming there are no tricky answers or something)
so for example in a group of people where 10% know the answer, you would get 10% + 90%*0.25 = 32.5% correct answers
so really if there's 30% correct answers that means that barely anyone had a clue

extremely easy, but im a graduate student. Hardest one i thought would be the polio vaccine question, as that's just rote memorization, but If you dont know who sabin or salk are, you should look up the development of the polio vaccine, it's really interesting

>tfw I'm just a dumb technician and got them all right
I didn't even know the answer to the polio question, just process of elimination.

Politically correct disclaimer, nothing unusual.
>Also with no break down and comparison of educational level by race the results could be explained away simply by a lower amount of blacks and hispanics having bachelor's or post grad degrees in the survey affecting the average even if it follows past trends
"HS or less" category scored 56.4 points on average, whereas nigs scored 49.5 points on average.

Yes, this study cannot be taken as a hard evidence, however it is an evidence nonetheless. The ball is now in the court of the ones claiming that nogs are not intellectually inferior to whites.

this is general knowledge shit are you kidding me?

Tech-school Electrician reporting in with 12/12.

The only questions I found anyone who has graduated high school could possibly get wrong were the Polio vaccine question (isn't really a science question as much as it is a history/medicine question), and the question about sound amplitude.

>11/12
>tfw absolute brainlet

>tfw didn't read question 12 properly and got it wrong
>tfw 11/12

My blue collar nigga. Trade plebs unite

I mean, a lot are random facts, surprised there was a question regarding how to interpret a graph which I belive had a misleading correct answer. There was also a question regarding history of science, so I don't understand what thjs actually measures. Understanding science isn't spounting random facts, but knowing the general methods used, how to interpret them and their scope and limitations, not that the amplitud of a wave relates to the percived loudness.

>I mean, a lot are random facts
That's literally all knowledge.

I got 11 round but that's not a science question it's history.

Unless you don't know who Curie, Einstein and Newton were simple method of elimination tells you it has to be the fourth person.

>Politically correct disclaimer, nothing unusual.

Stating your study has low sampling for two of the three tested populations and notating detail comparisons for education can't be derived isn't being politically correct. Although I'd argue they could have shown more data.

The polio vaccine question can easily be answered by process of elimination though. Three of the four individuals in that question are popular enough in western culture to make the odd man out the correct pick. The only two legit questions that make sense to miss is the sound and boiling water ones.

It was far more scientific question than the astrology one.

I'll take things that didn't happen for 2000.

When it comes to value Americans always find the best. That's why we shop at Costco.

How can 94% of the public be so shit?

>effects
affects
I keep seeing Americans make this mistake, what gives? the words are pronounced differently

10/12

Im a fucking brainlet

11/12, I got the light through a lens one wrong like a brainlet.

Wtf i got 4/12, this test is sexist

Who the fuck is nigger john sark or wtf that niggas name. 11/12. Fuck this shit.

>These are just things you'd expect an educated person would know.
>implying a post-grad in laws would give 2 fucks about polio vaccine, sound waves or completely negligible altitude influence on boiling water

Salk still being memed as curing polio when it was Sabin's active virus sugar cubes and their sewer infesting fun that actually cured polio annoys me.

Well done neckbeard. Tip my fedora to thee.

Salk was better for public image, which was a huge thing to get people to take the vaccine. It was really just that. Both of them used horrid testing practices by todays standards though hah

got 12/12, but i did yolo the first one since i honestly didn't know the difference between and asteroid and a meteor

meant asteroid and comet

desu the fact that only 63% could read the graph is the funniest. it's not even a knowledge of any sort, it's basic logic

I got 11/12, I didn't know that one about sound

got the metorite/comit one wrong n gave up

Comets are mostly water ice, asteroids are minerals.

Thats not differentiable on the q. My guess was that a comet is a name explicitely for a shooting star with a tail viewed from the ground. An asteroid is a rock in space.

guys
at higher altitude there is less air pressure - therefore less pressure on the water that keeps it together, therefore you need less energy to make it boil. Stop learning formulars you dont understand but insteadt try to understand whats actually happening and how things work

ye i googled it afterwards, but that's not exactly "common knowledge" i believe.

ye it was, it did mention ice i think

No it just asked me what the picture was.. nothing else

>couldn't remember which way it was
Are you a fucking engineer?
higher elevation = lower atmospheric pressure = lower boiling point

>race
Whoa what the fuck? It didn't even ask for my race, just my age and highest education completed. I'm black and I got 11/12.

Your all brainlets.

You're.

Please shut up.

From from what it looks like, they score decently for general knowledge. Heck, most of them know who Jonas Salk is. They only scored low on the three physics related questions.

This question has no factually correct answer.

I also kinda thought about the wording as I did it, but don't for a second pretend like you didn't understand both the meaning and the intent of the question, because you know that you did.

>most of them knew who Jonas Salk was
Highly doubtful.
That question seemed different to me in that, unlike the others, using process of elimination was an effective way to find the right answer.
I have never once in my life heard of Jonas Salk, but I knew for damn sure that those other three people didn't invent the polio vaccine so the answer was obvious.
In a way they were really testing the more common knowledge of those three other scientists who most people have heard of and could at least determine that none of them were involved in medicine. If they wanted to actually test knowledge of Jonas Salk they would have used three other obscure scientists as the alternatives and most people (except maybe the elderly) would have missed it.

Huh
Cool

Brainlet