Who else thinks it's dope that Lewis Carroll was also a mathematician?

Who else thinks it's dope that Lewis Carroll was also a mathematician?
He invented condensation of a matrix.
ITT: mathematicians that are not mathematicians

I read his book on Euclid. Did you even read it?

No but I read Alice in wonderland

I would recommend reading his book Euclid and His Modern Rivals so I have someone to talk about Elements with.

Fuck you for not reading or even being remotely interested in Euclidean geometry yet making a thread about someone I read.

Sorry, I'm not that deep down the rabbit hole so the speak.

It's not about going deep down a rabbit hole. I mean, you are the one who started the thread. And you didn't even read any of Dodgson's mathematical works?

Yeah I also think it's pretty dope that he was a pedophile and came up with Alice in Wonderland to seduce little girls. Maybe this says something about mathematicians in general...?

Appreciation of the youngest form of maturity one can identify.

一個成熟的年輕形式的升值可以識別。

I just saw it in my textbook and thought it was cool geez
I'm taking intro linear algebra
And that was a pun

You just saw tat someone was tangentially related to mathematics and thought it was a good idea to post a thread. Yeah sure, let me make a thread every time something passes my eyes.

well I expected other people to post other mathematicians
I know there's other math people that aren't really math people

He is a mathematician the same way Bill Nye is an engineer. They are probably of respectable capability but they earn a keep popularizing the musings of smarter people.

>he reads books! go to the literature board durrr

It's like telling someone to go to Veeky Forums if they are in Veeky Forums talking about Edward Gibbons or something. I mean, honestly, we NEED more people who read mathematical works for fun instead of sitting around on their asses plugging shit into Wolfram Alpha all day.

Don't patronize me chucklefuck, I read my daily math text.

I'm sure you do, but it's most likely some modern calc textbook or something.

Try reading some actual mathematical logic. When was the last time you read a geometrical proposition and understood everything?

Why would a mathematician read the Bible?

Literally the only thing worth reading out of that stupid fucking book is Matthew 5:5

>When was the last time you read and understood ?

how many of you guys read Newton's Principia?

You're correct about the modern part but don't assume I've stuck to calc books. Proofs were gone over in a discrete math book

Why would someone need to read this book when Newton's laws of physics are the actual important/functional summation of the entire fucking book?

Do people seriously think Newton is in his grave thinking, "Those cunts got it all wrong! If only the read MY special book!"

Yeah I'll read that eventually. I'll get around to it, I'm too busy reading the mathematical proofs found in On Conics atm.

You don't get the point of reading things for historical value? How about religion in general. What is YOUR religious stance, weird asian guy?

Historical mathematical texts are inherently flawed by virtue of being scope-limited.

Religion is no different than saying, "We of this brand and/or ritual consider ourselves to identify as 'this' before ."

My... religion does not exist.

If it were to be one it would be that '1' is the greatest number to strive for with those who know that 3 is always larger than 2, and that '-1' is the honorable way to always make space for the 'next person to come along'.

Mathematics understands this but it keep trying to be 'branded', but seriously Maths is far more a language and an ART OF FORM rather than a "I have to know this so I can tell the time, do my taxes, or know how much to consume/save in order to achieve my personal 'x' value."

However Religion to my mind gets it wrong because they write ONE text and presume all answers can be 'abstracted' from poor translations wherein they state 'do this, not that'. In mathematics there is no such thing as 'inherently wrong' unless you are performing some minus exponential function.

Let: [math]2^-1 = 0.5 = 1/2[/math]

I do submit that I am Asian before I am white/caucasian or any other ethnicity. I really can't deny that shit any longer, and in truth I wouldn't want to. I love the culture that showed me love where my parents chose not to.

You are a stupid autist. 'Scope limited'???? What on Earth are you even rying to say? Mathematical texts have always tried to prove something. Sometimes I consider the fact that I read the primary mathematical texts just for the sheer logic alone. It's fascinating how everything is set up, to be honest.

Veeky Forums has the best schizos on Veeky Forums

I agree, it is fascinating in truth. I personally am in awe in how much time and effort people have put in to create the longest cryptographic proof of 'self'.

However logic is not numerical proficiency.

Aboriginal Australians have a confirmed history of 40,000 years and ONLY use set theory for their calculations because all their other mathematical operators are 'physical realm dependent'. The logic of an entire culture is being forgone purely because they lacked the chemistry to create read/write material and couldn't stay in one place long enough due to lack of starch/sugars.

A BOOK is scope-limited by definition that it has to be BOUND by a cover.

How many books is a mathematician supposed to read before they realize that if there are infinite mathematical constants, and all of them can be raised to an exponent, that they are just calculating their idea of 'heaven'.

My problem is that every real world example boils down to, "Why would 'God' talk to me?"

Why would a genius post on Veeky Forums, why would X instead of Y.

Numbers are there to help but the mathematicians of the world apparently lack the 'common words' to save everyone from stupid taxation.

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand reality.

Name me a mathematician famous enough to be known by name alone today that had 'normal' social behaviour and was described as failing to understand reality.

>When challenged further in situations like this, Erdös was known to respond, "Louis the Fourteenth said, `I am the state'; Trotsky could have said, `I am society'; and I say, `I am reality.'" No one who knew him would disagree. "Erdös had a childlike tendency to make his reality overtake yours," a friend said. "And he wasn't an easy houseguest. But we all wanted him around--for his mind. We all saved problems up for him."

armanca wê ya sereke

>mathematicians that are not mathematicians
• Florence Nightingale
• President James Garfield

lmao

Fourrier was egyptologist, Bolzano was a priest and theologician, Descartes published only text in math (La Geometrie) and he was actually a phylosophet, Fermat as a lawyer who did math as a hobby

Please give a definition of mathematician that would exclude Lewis Carrol (who was trained as a mathematician and published new and non-trivial results)

He's best known for being an author

>dope
>invented
How do I know that you are a brainlet?

I found Disney's Alice in Wonderland really disappointing. It's like they removed anything actually interesting and kept the SO WEIRD LOL.

>not invented
cofactor expansion is just as good
>dope
smd tbH Senpai

KEK

Would you care to translate this, Bao? I don't read slant-eye, and this is an English board.

Back in 2009, when I was to choose the subject of my graduation thesis for highschool, my main courses were math and physics. I decided to do the thesis in math. One of the suggested topics of my teacher (whom I consider a smart person, even 9 years later), was something along the lines of "Mathematical themes in Alice in Wonderland", with him adding that we'll have to ignore that Carroll's under suspicion of having been an actual pedophile.

For those who are wondering: I chose the Mandelbrot set and its methods of depiction.

Why didn't he have you read his actual mathematical work? What the fuck

Nah, there's this one autist on Veeky Forums who thinks he's Sol Invictus. Veeky Forums is a close second, though.

Oh, translated it means : Enjoy a mature young form that can be determined.

Basically, China has no idea why anyone would think pedophilia should be made illegal, immoral, or discouraged. They only state that excess of anything is in poor form.

You can fuck little kids, but not everyone can fuck little kids because then there wouldn't be enough little kids for everyone to fuck.

Also, who would cook between orgies? Etc.

Taht's the gist of it anyway.

Solivagus, the name you are trying to post on this board is Solivagus. It's MY pseudonym. I've never posted on the Veeky Forums board (to my immediate recollection).

Nah, nevermind, you're worse.

不,請不要介意,你詛咒。

this d00d

Known better for his high score.