Yo, so I've been living in Japan for like a month now, and I don't really know how to eat at home here...

Yo, so I've been living in Japan for like a month now, and I don't really know how to eat at home here. I have a rice cooker so I eat veg curry (with daikon, onions, bok choi, that kinda shit, with curry cubes to make the sauce) half the days and a stir fry the other half. Shits getting dull but I can't figure out supernarkets. Any advice on quick easy simple Japanese cookery Veeky Forums? Pic related, its my tiny piece of shit kitchen which only has a hob, no oven. (Pretty standard here)

Why don't you see of you can get a nip grill to teach you some stuff?
Silly gaijin

Don't they have cooking TV shows in Japan?

PORK BELLY

Where the hell do you even get fresh ingredients in Japan? In built up cities there's basically nowhere and there's not that many supermarkets.

>Yo
>veg
>that kinda shit
>Shits getting dull

are you the idiot that made this

You don't know shit.

There is a supermarket in or next to almost every major train station. There will be 3 or 4 within walking distance of almost every apartment building.

And, because the logistics of transferring food is different (no long drives of veg sitting in trucks for days, then sitting in a distribution center), most of the food is fresher than in the USA.

When 80% of the population lives in 2 metro areas, that leaves a lot of space for farming.

Don't talk out your ass if you don't know shit.

Source: many years living in Japan.

That guy actually wrote a cook book like that iirc

Have you only been as a tourist? If so I'm not surprised you didn't see supermarkets.

even the tourist reverse-ghettoes are well-supplied. for fuck's sake, there's a Life visible from the base of the Sky Tree (to say nothing of the My Basket and A-Colle within a few minutes walk.)

are they the three-story-high empty boxes the size of a football field like you'd find in dallas? of course not. you may have to contend with only ten 1l each bottles of coke, coke zero, and pepsi on the shelf instead of 40 each of coke, diet coke, no caffeine diet coke, coke zero, coke life, sprite, diet sprite, sprite zero, ad nauseum in .5l, 1.25l, 1.5l, 2l, and 3l. but that doesn't mean that you can't go load up on meat and fresh veg.

post your nearest station maybe?

Fuckin' sukiyaki my dude. Mirin, sake, soy sauce, and water in a pot. Use it to boil mushrooms, onions, cabbage, and meat. Dip it in a raw egg. I live in the US and this is a go to for me.

Osaka reporting in. How can you not figure out how to cook? Just buy the ingredients and fry em. If you wanna make easy Japanese stuff do shoga Yaki or Tonkatsu they're easy

Unless you live in butt-fuck nowhere in the Inaka, just get ingredients for what you'd mostly cook at home.

As for Japanese food, they're very seasonal eaters, so look up what's good, in season and cheap in your area each month and work with that

As winter comes get into making Nabe, stews and soups. Learn how to use Miso paste; a couple of spoons in a pot full of veges and meat makes a nice healthy hearty meal that you can have with some rice or use it as a side dish with something else.

Some tips if you wanna cut your food cost down:
>Look for a "Gyoumu Super" supermarket, they're a bulk store that sell shit big and cheap.
>If you can't find a Gyoumu, go for Max Valu, they're next best.
>Bags of Potatoes, onions and carrots will all be around 100yen.
>Cabbage, daikon and mushrooms are dirt cheap and easy, healthy ways to pad out meals in Japan. Most of their food uses those 3 ingredients to some degree.
>Rice is ironically pretty expensive in Japan because of their laws. Try not to rely on it too much, which is easy to do because you're not Japanese.
>Pasta and pasta sauces are dirt cheap
>Chicken is by far the cheapest meat in Japan, if you find the right deal you can get it for 800yen for 2kg
>Pork is pretty decently priced too, can often pick up pork chops for 100yen each
>If you crave beef, go for lean cuts of Aussie beef. Japanese hate lean beef so you can usually get steaks for cheap if you keep an eye out.
>1kg bags of frozen meatballs or pre-made "hamburgs" are another decent cheap source of meat.
>Use "shichimi" (Japanese 7 spice) on everything, it's fucking GOAT

>Learn the "Sa Shi Su Se So" of Japanese cooking. Nearly all of their food is just seasoned with a combination of Sugar, Salt, rice Vinegar, Soy sauce, Dashi or Miso.
>good luck finding decent bread or bread loaves with more than 6 slices. You'll probably end up giving it up.
>Beer/Happoshu has been slowly taxed to hell over the last few years. If you want the cheapest beer, go to Max Valu and get Barreal brand, it's 450yen/6pack and the only 6pack you'll find nowadays under 700yen/6pack.
>If you wanna drink on the cheap though, get big boxes (2~4L) of local sakes, will usually only set you back 300-500yen. Sake's the vodka of wines and goes well with anything; teas, sodas, straight, on ice, warm, chilled.
>packs of instant noodles. they're far better quality than what you'll get overseas and can easy get a 5-pack for 200yen.

Overall it's really cheap to cook and eat in Japan, don't let Yanks who move to Tokyo tell you it's expensive. Do it right, get some dishes down and you can be spending less than 150yen a day on your food bill.

And off the top of my head some staple Japanese meals you can try

>tonkatsu with miso soup and rice
>katsudon
>gyuudon
>oyakodon
>niku-jaga

Then make chinese food, like hoikooro, chinjaoroosu.

So much this.

I'm actually moving back to Tokyo next month, because it's so much cheaper than Denver (not just food, but rent and car ownership, etc).

OP, to add the hardest part of learning to cook food in Japan is just dealing with not having an oven, a tiny fridge and being in a culture where you go to the supermarket every day. You'll get used to it.

Anyone else doing a poo in japan RIGHT THIS SECOND?

when i was there for like 6 months i guess i lucked out because the shopping area near me had like 3 to 4 different butchers, my town was more an old person place and more homely

i mostly would eat out, order kits from amazon, and just use the meats from the stores to cook whatever

youre lucky with 2 burner stove, mine only had one

easy thing to do is get the pasta kits, cook pasta, then mix the kit with the pasta, the kits only cost like a dollar, noodles dirt cheap

best thing you can do is try to adopt their eating style/ habits because it fucking sucks trying to live in an american in japan, because it just doesn't work, and is extremely costly because they dont have the same ingredients and even just ordering a pizza from pizza hut thats like a normal ass american pizza, is like 50 bucks

also yeah, no japs have stoves, thats why they only cook by boiling, they dont evne have things like tv dinners, their tv dinners are boiled in packets

you can order some indian specialty stores locally and theyll deliver you some good rice, and good spices

as for "cant figure out supermarkets" dont know you might be retarded, its very simple and easy

OP the best way to eat in japan is to sneak into old people's houses and rape and kill them. Then you eat whatever's in the fridge. If they have money they'll have some good ingredients and maybe even a full sized oven for you to cook your shit it but even if not they'll have some bentos from the supermarket you can heat up in a microwave.

And don't be looking down on old granny poon it's still good man especially when you strangle and beat them while you fuck em. Mmm

go home weeb

You can make gyudon with thinly sliced beef, onions, soy sauce, sake, and mirin

>basil
>beans
>white sugar
>another kind of beans
>corn
>a third fucking kind of beans
>coconut oil

jesus christ make it stop

When I lived in glorious Nippon, I usually spent my money eating out. At home, I'd eat the precooked shit from the grocery store, rice from the rice cooker, and simple shit like egg salad, which goes great with sticky rice. I guess the point of all this is to tell you to stop being such a snob or girl.

The only thing I can make out on that thing is the button that washes your ass

Make tonkatsu and make katsudon from the leftovers the next day. Also yakisoba is really cheap and easy to make ar home