Old Beers

Anyone here like old beers that aren't as quite popular or mainstream. I personally like Hamms beer and a few cases of Schlitz showed up at my work and got put on sale.

Me too, my grandpa used to be all about pic related. He built my grandma's house back in the late 50s/early 60s and during recent renovations they found old pull-tab style Schaefer cans in the walls and foundation. Me and my family drink it sometimes as a tribute to him, sadly he died a year and a half ago.

They're interesting from a historic point of view, and whenever I get the chance to try them I do. What seems to distinguish one from the other is the amount of hop oil used to flavor them. Even though hoppy beer is very much in fashion going heavy on hop oil (instead of real hops) really makes the beer a challenge to drink. Ballantine XXX Ale is a great example of a strongly hop oil tasting beer. It's nice and bold tasting, but I find it hard to say it actually tastes good. Though I think it's probably a good example of what the more strongly flavored old man beers tasted like back in the day.

This, along with Schlitz, was always a favorite of the old men in my family. Every family reunion, there would be Schlitz and Old Milwaukee.

Hamms is all the hipsters and crust punks drink near me

I used to work for a distributor that sold it, tried it before I started working there, was happy we sold it

Hillbillies love Old Milwaukee

Hardly a surprise: it's cheap and somewhat obscure compared to other brands. Perfect fit.

>crust punks
it's hard to believe some of the shit kids get up to these days

>crust punks
Fucking millennials

It's pretty easy to understand. You come from some place where your job/career options suck, so you say fuck it, I'm gonna go check out some other places and just vagabond around. You meet up with other folks like you and live just a step above homeless. And once your kind hits a critical mass a moniker is coined to describe you. If I'd grown up in a backwater place without any decent options for education or career I'd probably be one of them. Why not go check out some cities, even if it means you're living there in squalor?

Days N daze stayed at my flat on their UK tour
Worst people iv ever encountered most privalaged, up their own ass, wannabe victims of oppression, hipster rich kids over ever met ruined that band for me meeting them
Drinking craft brews is not punk in the slightest brewdog can suck my dick for starting that meme
Money cannot buy punk
I hate what has happened to punk especially the crust punk movement

>Days N daze
I used to enjoy them, it's too bad they are dicks.
I'm still partial to anything Pat the Bunny, just because I like Vermont

Punk was co-opted from the start. The Sex Pistols may have been legit shocking at the time, but they were as prefab a band as the Monkees. The Clash may have been one of the greatest rock bands ever, but their message sure as fuck didn't like up with the slick production values of their biggest records. Same thing happened with grunge - Cobain's message was heartfelt anti-establishment, but Nevermind's production values were establishment at fuck. The anti-establishment figure being totally co-opted by the establishment is the fundamental contradiction of punk.

I like the Ramones, even if they aren't really punk.
They have a comfy Americana feel

This was my favorite swill back in the day.

I second this. I went to college at a maritime academy in the northeast. While we were trained on sailing vessels we we're taught "chafe is the enemy" in regards to friction destroying lines carrying sails.
Well, our school was next to an old mill town that had a rite aid straight out of 1975. Wood paneling and all. They sold 30 packs of Schaefer for less than $0.50/can. It didnt take many hangovers for us to claim "Schaefer is the enemy"

I like what was called punk just fine, but definitely prefer the NYC shit that led up to it: Velvets, Dolls, Ramones. Then again I'm from NYC, so that shit sounds like home to me.

>Anyone here a hipster?

That's actually a pretty cool story. Where did you go to school, Maine?

>comparing the Sex Pistols to the Monkeys

Say that to John Lydon's face and see what happens. That guy is punk as fuck, even now. Young punk bands had to be controlled, just like most musicians, in order for them to make any money. And you can say making money is establishment, but everyone wants money for something, including anti-establishment ruffians.

Dave Jones was more punk than Rotten

*Davey

Lydon knew it was co-opted from the start, he just didn't give a fuck. Yeah, he is punk af, but that doesn't mean his band wasn't McLaren's creation - they just ran with it.