Do you finish every book no matter how boring...

Do you finish every book no matter how boring? If you read a boring classic book by an author do you still read their other books?

I hate how literature has become a pseudo intellectual social signalling mechanism. I am halfway through the brothers Karamazov and finding it boring as fuck in general. I have to read this book and many other boring as fuck books by Dostoevsky or else people will call me a pleb.

Maybe you should go back to your anime and 'vidya', frog shitter

I'm probably not going to finish reading Cyclonopedia because while it is interesting as a thing, reading that much schizophrenic postmodernist occult ranting is not terrible engaging. I'm not ashamed of this.

Oh yeah, and I really hate how people pretend that every single sentence in every single Dostoevsky book is a piece of psychological, philosophical, and opthalmological genius. What a load of soody nonsense. Not only is it forbidden to say the words "fun" and "enjoy" with regard to novels, you have to make up some stupid "Literary "Theory"" nonsense reason.

>I am a pleb. Please let me stop reading now.
Fine. Go away now.

Reading that sort of thing into books is fun and enjoyable for some people.

This essentially. The same way you OP get your kicks from posting frogs on Veeky Forums all the time, making the same boring threads again and again.

If you don't like it stop, you're not a god damned child. Come back to it when you've read other books that sparked a reinterest in those books. It's like listening to music, you may not like it in one form/experience

That's fine. But they impose themselves on others and tell you to read and praise ten trillion things. And other things I can't be bothered pointing out. They try to portray you as stupid.

That's also why your parents should promote the child read a book a month, to have sufficient base to engage themselves when they get older.

Also you should never tell your child he's smart. He'll pick up knights of the round table with the intention of looking smart

I don't see what's wrong with this as long as it increases enjoyment and the overal analysis is coherent.
It's fun to read beyond the surface.

Well you are stupid op
Either that or 15

Why would I read books that I find boring?

I'm always amazed how much it bothers people when they see me reading Ayn Rand or when I tell them my favorite book is The Fountainhead. Its just my preference and opinion. I'm not asking you to read it or like it.

Because you're an autistic twat that seeks other's approval.

Life is your journey op. Recommendations are simply recommendations. Stop ruining your enjoyment of reading

Because it's a terrible fucking book. You don't like the literature, you like the philosophy

LOL. You just proved my point.

>or else people will call me a pleb.
Besides anonymous autists on Veeky Forums I've never once met a person that would care if I didn't even know who Dostoevsky is.

>I hate how literature has become a pseudo intellectual social signalling mechanism
>boring as fuck
>I have to read this book
Way to be a spineless hypocrite man.

>Yet I would lead silly user by the hand
>Through the big books he cannot understand;

They're not recommendations. People will insult you for disagreeing and not reading the whole thing.

It really has become some obscene signalling game. Of course I can't blame Dostoevsky for this but it is incredible how nobody comments on the fucking awkward and disgusting translated English prose of his novels. Novels are art ffs.

Translated poetry takes the fucking cake though. That is the gold standard of pseuds missing the point of art. A bunch of pseuds who simply want to gobble up the pseud cred that comes with knowing the plot / being able to make references to the Iliad or odyssey or whatever. Nope, if you don't fluently know Latin or Greek or Italian you are shit out of luck sunshine. You will never experience Dante's Inferno etc as it was intented (and the translation, taking it on its own, is probably crap but I will suspend judgement).

Similarly to the above, people who read plays simply want to gobble up pseud cred. "Reading Shakespeare". Jesus Christ.

I don't think pens should be weapons but if I get stabbed then it still hurts.

>a pseudo intellectual social signalling mechanism

It's not. Being "smart" is the only positive attribute you think you have. So you're doing "smart" things, because that's what you think "smart" people do.

reading books wont change the fact that yr an insufferable cunt i tell ya

>That is the gold standard of pseuds missing the point of art.

What's that again?

You make this thread every day. For months. You're so butthurt and attention starved that you word it differently every time instead of pasting it like every other dumb retard on this website.

I'm starting to suspect that you don't like reading books.

No. This is not an accurate account of the situation. You don't want pens to be weapons, yet you carry on stabbing people. (with pens ;))

He has at least 20 pastas he posts every day. He's the prospectless autistic virgin loser who lives with his parents @ 28.

Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby boy.

>mfw thinking of you hurting

You are retarded, if you are not enjoying a novel, just drop it and read something that really catches your interest. I dropped the Magic Mountain the first time I tried to read it, now, six months after, I'm reading it again and I'm really enjoying it, god only knows why

>never experience Dante's Inferno etc as it was intented
We don't have the original version anyway, the one we have is the result of a work of philology.

I dont. I acceped i am brainlet and i am trying to move on. I find it better to finish lighter book than be stuck on difficult one.

when I find a book boring I force myself through it so I can say I've read it.

tfw reading isn't my main hobby so I can read whatever I want for how long I want

This
Nobody in real life really cares about literature or if you have read certain book or not. Read for your own enjoyment

No I finish only about 5% of the books I read, I glance through a few chapters and the ending to see if I find it interesting and to create potential suspense, and then if it's interesting I read the first chapter, If by 30 minutes I'm not convinced I can learn something from it then I drop it and move on to the next

If I find a book that's a classic boring it's probably cause I'm not smart enough.

I had a lot of trouble with Robert musil and the other 20th century modernists, loved the books but the philosophy went over my head.

Is the translation by Constance Garnett ok or should I get a better translation?

>Actually reading the book to say you've read it
Bit slow aren't we?

Underage.

make your life boring as fuck, so even boring books become interesting. pretty much what i did. everything is relative.

I don't really get why you use Dosteovsky as your example. Like, Crime and Punishment in particular is super-well plotted with strong characters and lots of events moving the plot forward. There are only a couple of slow parts in the entire book.