What are some scientific misconceptions that never seem to die...

What are some scientific misconceptions that never seem to die? I always remember my grade school teachers saying blood is blue inside your body, which is complete bullshit.

Everyone before Columbus thought world was flat.
Sun circles Earth.
Moon landing faked in studio.
Cavemen contemporary with dinosaurs.

The Pisa tower experiment.
Gender theory.
Several quantum states at the same time.
Double slit experiment proves time travel.
Entropy is disorder.
String theory states tiny higher dimension spaces are glued to each point of spacetime.
-1/12
The Earth circles the Sun.
The Sun circles the Earth.

the round earth
inbreeding being bad in only a single generation
understanding genetics in general
.999... =/= 1

biggest one for me is you cant unboil an egg, and they absolutely did just that. We used to think protein folding was a completely irreversible process and that's simply not true

iq
race
x people being superior to y
might makes right
"i decide what these people should do!"

There are so many misconceptions about Columbus in general.

>What are some scientific misconceptions that never seem to die?
the idea that climate change is real

politicized popsci is the worst

>Double slit experiment proves time travel.
which fucking brainlets claim such bullshit?
>-1/12
kek

>particle accelerators will create black holes that could destroy the earth
Never mind that the black hole experiment that was done created one magnitudes too small for Bondi accretion to occur.

"I'm too stupid for/not good at math"

>which fucking brainlets claim such bullshit?
NDT's explanation is that the particle rewinds time to choose its path when you try to detect it or something.

Some people are quite literally too stupid to do math at anything higher than a grade school level.

sause

that any form of standardized testing can be used to measure intelligence.

I wish mods would put a blanket ban on anyone who says IQ. or change the letters IQ like when someone tries to type too be honest DESU

There probably is a means of accurately measuring intelligence, but we haven't found it yet.

The fact that it's so broad that it might not be accurately expressible as a single number probably has something to do with it.

A good analogy is like trying to measure how strong a person's entire body is my testing 1 single muscle. Sure you can get an accurate number of how strong that muscle is, but over for overall strength it's a poor metric. And it doesn't take even into account fast vs slow twitch muscle strands for that single muscle you're measuring.
And if we were to keep applying that analogy to measuring IQ, it would be like we didn't even know how many muscles there were in the human body, or what any of them do, or how they even work. It's just simply insane. IQ should stand for insanity quotient and be a measure of how insane you are for believing in IQ.

the greeks and egyptians figured out the world was round

"I don't believe in evolution"
srsly tho we desperately need someone to teach the public about science

We only use x% of our brain (where x < 100).

>Gender theory
What?

Atoms are mostly empty space. Complete bullshit.

This has always pissed me off. The whole sci-fi trope of the person who uses 100% of their brain at once being somehow super intelligent and not just collapsing from a siezure really activates my almonds

>he "believes" in evolution
You sure need education about science.

dumb cunt

Evolution has a lot of misconceptions. Especially about natural selection and fitness.

Yeah. He was saying he's tired of the myth that everyone thought the Earth was flat until Columbus' voyage.

oh duh thanks

but venous blood indeed has a blue-ish tint, lilac maybe or dark red, compared to arterious, which is more like bright-red, blood

>says the stupid frog poster

Very insightful, retard

Heres one; individuals who think that insulting someone proves a point.

>Meatheads think "survival of the fittest" means big muscles
>Meanwhile sunfish and plankton exist and are doing just fine
:/

Also not exactly the opposite but kind of related; people who think using insults disproves a point.

I hypercharged my CPU, now every transistor flips on each clock pulse and it's going 17 times faster.

Almost everything about electricity.
>Tesla invented electricity
>electrons are flowing through wires like water through tubes
>electrons are the only charge carriers
>particles are little baloons

>GMO
>Black Holes
>Quantum physics

>-1/12

>electrons are flowing through wires like water through tubes
they do tho

>we use 100% of our brain all the time
>the electric force somehow is irrelevant in space
>breath meditation makes you smart
>cotton swabs are to be inserted into your ears
>proofs are a waste of time and don't improve problem solving
>if you like studying something then it gets in the way of other stuff you have to learn, so stop liking it, watch out!
>there are undecidable statements
>there is no available proof of something therefore I must believe at its logical negation without proof
>deductive reasoning requires no faith at all

>"believes" in approximations
>calls anyone else stupid

>>cotton swabs are to be inserted into your ears
biggest and most dangerous lie around today

Wtf lad? Where the fuck are you from?
Even nigger teachers in Africa are smarter.

True.
Tfw only politicians talk about it on TV.
They can suck my big fat cock if they think I'm gonna buy one of their botnet electric "cars".

>having faith on a scientific theory
Lmao. You're even more retarded. I couldn't care less if evolution is right or wrong, as long as it explains the data we have. If someone one day proves it was bullshit ill move along with no regrets.
You literally forgot what science is all about.

It wasn't Columbus you nigger. It was Fernão Magalhães (traitor who was working for Spain) who proved the earth was round with his trip around the world.
Columbus was just a schizophrenic Portuguese spy who fooled the Spanish kings saying he found India through West.

>lilac
No
>dark red
Yes

As the other poster pointed out, ancient peoples knew the earth was round and so did people in the Middle Ages. It didn't take some explorer's voyage to "prove" it to them.

>2018
>not believing in evolution

>writing his name in your disgusting transexual language

All of these are real

IQ is what limits your intelligence, and honestly people with a lower IQ being smarter than people with a higher IQ is pretty uncommon. It is NOT a bad measure at all and you are probably a coping ethnic or liberal dicklicker if you think otherwise.

Except iq is not science, user.

Yes, it is.

How so?

Science:
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

>no argument

The burden of proof is not mine

So, how is it not a science?

What makes you think this?

they dont tho

Wrong. iq and race aren't science.

The definition you are spouting is applied in social sciences where fenomena isn't even described but implied elements based on the psychology theory of the decade, are used for statistics and thrown in the archive without any kind of physical or direct fenomena explanation.

Iq is included in the social "" science "" topics and research.

if you insert them deep into your ears you're straight up retarded, they're not meant to clean your fucking membrane

I've talked to so many people, even in my biology program, that still think fitness means being stronger and not that you simply have more viable offspring due to some gene. Of course they are usually premeds, so it's understandable.

Yes exactly. The Greeks, Romans, Jews etc already knew that.
The ultimate "experimental" proof was the voyage.

Better then your country's "English" faggot.

>race isn't science.
Of course not. It's called common sense.

Ah I see, it was the first practical evidence rather than observational