Is there any difference between old (Addison-Wesley 1971) and new (Springer 1998) versions...

Is there any difference between old (Addison-Wesley 1971) and new (Springer 1998) versions? Sadly there is no electronic Springer edition book, just old AW one

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=precalculus book -lang
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is there any difference between old (Addison-Wesley 1971) and new (Springer 1998) versions?
No, they're both memebooks.

Perhaps you could recommend a better alternative?

Serre's A Course in Arithmetic

>Serre's A Course in Arithmetic
Too hard for beginners, Weil's 'Basic Number Theory' is more appropriate

Stop joking guys, everyone knows that you need way more knowledge before starting any number theory course. If you don't know any alternatives to Serg'e BM - please go away.

>Stop joking guys, everyone knows that you need way more knowledge before starting any number theory course.
The only thing you need to start number theory is to know how to divide integers.

>If you don't know any alternatives to Serg'e BM - please go away.
Literally any other book, Lang is a meme.

There is Axler's book and that's it, fuck off seriously.

>fuck off seriously.
Do you need to swear?

suck a dog dick

No, there might be some typos correctioned in the 2nd/3rd/4th printing but not necessarily.

Oh, so I won't miss anything if I stick to available on the internet version, right? That's relief, thank you vm.

I like how all those autists fail to give a single alternative to Lang's BM that is of the same topic. They might aswell just recommend Mac Lane's Category Theory since they are so off-topic from what is a highschool algebra book.

I myself found out that there are really no good alternatives to it, Lang's BM is best thing we have for pre-univeristy book (non-calculus) and the only thing that comes close is Gelfand's collection (Algebra, Trigonometry, Functions and Graphs and Method of Coordinates) but is a lot less rigorous.
There is also Axler's Precalculus, but it's heavy focused on literal precalculus so it does not go rigorous and deep into the Algebra like Lang's BM. Not recommended.
There is also Stitz & Zeager Precalculus which is really good but very long (1000+ pages) with hard exercises and is arguably closest thing to Lang's BM.
Also check out: Elementary Mathematics from a Higher Standpoint: Volume I: Arithmetic, Algebra, Analysis by Felix Klein. I know nothing about this book but it seems to fit as a reasonable alternative for someone who knows Algebra atleast.

Lang's BM is underrated here and people meme it a lot because Lang is a meme author, but the book is really good and theree are really no good alternatives to copmare it to so it's the best we have. So definetly read Basic Mathematics if you have to!

>I like how all those autists fail to give a single alternative to Lang's BM that is of the same topic.
What part of "any other book" went over your head?

Could you tell me, what's wrong with Lang's BM? Please, if you can write down only constructive arguments, no "it's just a memexDDDD" bullshit.

I haven't read this book but I've read other lang books and they're pretty good (not at all memes). Also, 'basic mathematics' didn't change much from the 70s to the 90s so it won't really make a difference.

Why don't people here like Lang in general? Because he wrote a fuckton of books?

You actually had trouble with it? Oh my god.

I wish there was an epub or pdf of it. I can never find one :(

What do you mean when you say rigorous?

I actually found Lang's book to be much easier than the Gelfand series. In particular, Algebra had much harder problems than anything in Basic Mathematics, save for some of the geometry sections, because I'm absolute shit at it.

>You actually had trouble with it?
What do you mean?

What exactly needs explaining?

>What exactly needs explaining?
Why a memebook would invoke "trouble".

Why exactly is it a memebook in the first place and why do you always post when this book pops up? Keep in mind that I've read it. It seems fine.

What did it do to you? Was it his Algebra book that fazed you?

>Why exactly is it a memebook in the first place
Lang simply has no sense of exposition, it's genuinely difficult to find any book on a subject he's written about that does a worse job.

>why do you always post when this book pops up?
Are you confusing me with someone else? This is my first time posting about it.

>It seems fine.
How so?

>What did it do to you?
Nothing.

>Was it his Algebra book that fazed you?
I haven't read it.

>70+ results
what did he mean by this

>what did he mean by this
I'm not a "he".

your shitposting just keeps getting better

>your shitposting just keeps getting better
I don't know what you're referring to, I've never "shitposted" in my life.

Book confirmed good.

sorry xe. you need to recommend a book on par with 'basic mathematics', otherwise you're just shitposting.

>you need to recommend a book on par with 'basic mathematics',
Why would I recommend someone a bad book?

recommend a good one then. A book that covers material of precalculus.

Because you're saying something is bad without listing an alternative. You're making an opnion and treating it as fact. For example, I like Serge Lang's "Basic Mathematics". Its older but it has great information. But I think the information in "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer and Oakley explains some concepts better, such as starting people off with logic and leading them into each subject with more context that requires the user to find proofs in each concept. It even treats analytic geometry as a subset of basic mathematics after it spends a few chapter drilling introductory calculus into the reader's brain. Its all opinion however; but your opinion is baseless; therefore retarded.

In short, you're basically saying: "I hate red because other colors are better". You're not using logic.

>Because you're saying something is bad without listing an alternative.

It's useless to continues discussion with you at this point. I am pretty sure you won't recommend any alternative but rather continues this fairly worthless bullshit. Goodbay, and have a nice day!

So basically, you got nothing. You're fucking retard.

>I am pretty sure you won't recommend any alternative

Ladies and gentlemen, shitposters. This is the book I recommended in my post that's on par with Serge Lang's. Its really informational.

At this point, its pointless to talk to you. You can't even think of one book.

Don't feed the trolls people. This is a legit faggot.

>So basically, you got nothing.
The question is meaningless.

If you were telling me to eat a piece of shit, and to recommend an alternative meal, there's nothing wrong with saying "anything else".

>This is a legit faggot.
Why the homophobia?

>You can't even think of one book.
Take your pick:
lmgtfy.com/?q=precalculus book -lang

>Black people on Veeky Forums
I'm amazed considering the level of white supremacy here.

>Don't feed the trolls people.
The only "trolls" here are the ones "unironically" telling people to read Lang.

Stop misleading the naive people who might fall for such a bad suggestion.

Veeky Forums is a Jewish supremacist board, not white supremacist.

That book is awesome. Wish there were more epub math books on par with that one.

Uhh thanks? I've been on Veeky Forums since 2008. I feel that rational people don't let stupid things get under their skin.

I didn't say anyone should read Lang, I said , also any information that has a solid basis is good to read wheather you understand it or not. Math is math, you either understand or you don't. I'm not going to disreguard Lang's book because a few edgelords can't figure it out. I like it. Its only an opinion.

>Why don't people here like Lang in general?
He has no sense of exposition.

The first line off wikipedia gives a better explanation on what a permutation is than Lang's entire section on them.
To someone already skilled in mathematics and logic, his book can be used as solid reference for particular gaps in understanding.
However, anyone in the "intended audience" of this book is going to walk away more confused than when they started.

There's a lack of intuition or context behind what is being taught.
One section in particular that gave me the most trouble while reading through it (with zero prior knowledge) a few years ago, was how he introduced the concept of binomial coefficients in the middle of the section on induction and summation without any mention to the binomial theorem or pascal's triangle.
I struggled for days, because I wasn't able to derive the binomial theorem from his explanations and apply it to proof by induction all at once.

That's clear as fuck. The only thing I would change is instead of saying "Thus the image", I would write "Which means the results". And "Thus we denote" to "We can denote".

>intended audience

Honors students taking precalculus or anyone looking for a rigorous introduction.

>without any mention to the binomial theorem

It's the second equation on the page. Are you blind?

TIL people think Lang is a meme because they don't know how to read wow Veeky Forums you impress me more and more each day.

This is actually perfectly fine

fucking lmao. Lang haters literally don't want to read math books.

JUST READ A BOOK YOU DUMB IDIOTS.

He literaly can't, he'll just continue to meme like the faggot he is.
>What do you mean when you say rigorous?
It's not intuitive and doesn't give you a bunch of algorithms to memorize, it shows definitions and theorems and asks you to prove them etc. A non-rigorous book for comparison; would give you only the definitions and exercises to do and not much go into the fundamentals and explaining why things work. It's like in your school where most people don't know why things work and have an algorithm burned into their brain and when given a slighly different problem their understanding goes to 0.

Gelfand's book is all about building intuition and non-intuitive problems while BM is there to teach you the more fundamentals then you'll have a simpler time to solve problems. It's like Gelfand teaches you how to fish quickly and then gives you a pond to go out to and fish for yourself while Basic mathematics teaches you everything about fishing and what to do while fishing for any pond, how to kno when there's fish and what baits to use etc.

>He literaly can't, he'll just continue to meme like the faggot he is.
Why the homophobia?

What? Einstein gets trashed here twice a day. Let's not forget all the butthurt undergrads blaming (((them))) for anything they don't like on their course.
True fuck the racists.

I read it. It's actually quite shit, but so far I've not found an equivalent that was better. Basically, if you want a thorough book on that level, he is the only option. He's really messy, unintuitive, and just bad at teaching/conveying information. He's also elaborate where he doesn't need to be, and overly brief/fractured (sometimes straight-up lacking information), where he needs to be elaborate. I think it's best read with a basic handle on the topics dealt with, but there are better books for that once you're at that level, so it's sort of in an awkward in-between position. Not quite basic/elaborate enough, but not advanced enough either. You either painfully slog through it, or don't bother using it. Anything else will be a waste of time.

>fuck the racists
cringe