Why are certain types of eyes considered an attractive trait...

Why are certain types of eyes considered an attractive trait? And what makes them desirable from an evolutionary point of view? Is there any correlation between "pretty eyes" and good eyesight? Or is it just a trait that makes you stand out, similiar to blond hair during out caveman days?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/Bd0iSxvjySI/?taken-by=krotchy
ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(05)00059-0/abstract
lookism.net/Thread-Theory-AESTHETICS-Good-Eye-Area-Palpebral-fissure-Length-Insights-and-Theory
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886912000840
eric.ed.gov/?id=ED429148
emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Intelligence-and-socioeconomic-success-A-meta-analytic-review-of-longitudinal-research.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the eyes in your pic are "pretty" because the eye lips, eye lashes, skull, and eye brows are all well-shaped. Combined with very unusual and virbrant colouring. Outside of this unusualness, "pretty eyes" are very subjective. Many people hate blue eyes for example, many love the near-black brown eyes as another example.

Sexual selection and/or random. Nothing to do with eyesight.

butthurt amerimutt

It's weird, isn't it? Differently colored eyes provide no evolutionary benefit, but they are still sought after

the evolutionary benefit is not looking like a brown turd from head to toe

Bright and vibrant colours are naturally more attractive to humans. Emeralds are prettier than granite.

Light colored eyes are literally a higher level evolutionary trait. Those with ligh colored eyes are more evolved, and often times smarter, than their dark eyed counterparts. Its the same reason why the deep dark African black people, or abbos, are never physically attractive, they are nearly monkeys.

Striking eyes stand out. Standing out from the crowd gives a leg up on the competition. Bright colors like in OP aren't only needed for standing out, sometimes the way they contrast with the rest of the face or hair is enough even if the eye color themselves are common.

Sexual selection.

Got datum Glenn you lucky son of a bitch

>Many people hate blue eyes for example, many love the near-black brown eyes as another example.

I don't hate blue/green eyes, but they make a person look like they have gotten too much radiation. It just looks weird and sick. Black eyes are the best.

Genetic difference is an advantage.

That's not an advantage though. That's just circular reasoning. I personally am mostly attracted to light-eyed tall blonde girls, mostly because that's my phenotype, but ive never heard of any evolutionary advantage of having light eyes.
Light eyes stand out if it's unusual in the population. Light eyes are still considered attractive even in populations where most people have light eyes. Having 3 arms would certainly be unusual but that's not sought after.

The model you use in your picture is either photoshopped (most likely), is wearing contacts (also very likely) or had iris surgery (very unlikely but I've seen Instagram models and even met some girls with that) which is very risky since it almost always leads to glaucoma and consequently vision loss.

They are so sought after women undergo risky iris surgeries to lighten their hues, like in this case:

instagram.com/p/Bd0iSxvjySI/?taken-by=krotchy

You can see how the blue eye doesn't respond to the light the same way the brown eye does.

Blue eyes are slightly more effective in the dark, but it's more likely sex selection.

And slightly more vulnerable to sunlight. My opthamologist goes on about this.

My guess is that blue eyes make the direction of gaze more obvious, which is a soclai cue.

blue, green, hazel (that have green) eyes are pretty

It is an advantage in that it makes you stand out from other potential mates. It does not suggest you to be a better mate, it just gets your foot in the door.

In modern society, it could simply be a conversation starter. But if you start talking and find something that disqualifies them from your potential pool of candidates, then their having special eyes won't save them.

Special eyes help you jump ahead in the line for interviews, but they don't help you pass the interview.

>blue eyes make the direction of gaze more obvious
Why would that be the case? If anything higher contrast (darker eyes) would make the direction of gaze more obvious.

Light eyes make me think the girl is slutty and easy. Why is that?
>inb4 mutts praising light eyes

where you messed up was having the idea that nature or reality for that matter must behave the way your weenie brain expects it to. :D
there is no "evolutionary point of view", there's just what you think. and that's all reality is, just what you think.

>Why are certain types of eyes considered an attractive trait?
Attractiveness is not an inherent property of the eyes. It is a subjective label that depends on the person doing the labeling.
>what makes them desirable from an evolutionary point of view?
Evolution has given people the capacity to desire certain traits. Eye color seems like a benign characteristic that does not affect survivability. The only way it affects survivability is when people develop purposeless fetishes and decide one color is better than another.

>Black eyes are the best.
Back to alpha centauri Z'ebelrox.
I remember reading something about the fact that blond and red hair, and green and blue eyes became a desired trait because it acts like a tamper seal for your offspring. Any of those are recessive traits, and it becomes easy to tell when a drop of something else gets in there.

>hurr durr why do peacocks have colorful feathers

What do you feel when you look someone in the eyes, OP?
You will definitely get some emotions, some people can't even look someone in the eyes because they get so uncomfortable.

Clearly eyes are a vert important and maybe an underrated feature in/on humans.
Socially very powerful.
Powerful among mammals in general it seems.

And the time it took to evolve, say blue eyes, blond hair, etc. was so "fast" that it kinda have to have been sped up by sexual selection:
ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(05)00059-0/abstract

It can also be that eye color came with lighter hair, and it was lighter hair that drove the selection.

Maybe there are some "religious" reasons behind it....

sorry but it's true

eye shape is generally more important. negative canthal tilt kills this guy's harmony

Only good if you have good eye genes.
lookism.net/Thread-Theory-AESTHETICS-Good-Eye-Area-Palpebral-fissure-Length-Insights-and-Theory

asians have dark eyes, on average they are smarter than western ppl.

>no evolutionary benefit
incorrect- light colored eyes assist with vision in low-light conditions. i.e. forests and places where it's mostly dark outside half the year i.e. Europe
stay mad, shitskin

>smarter than white people
you mean the ones they test in the cities, basically those who are more commonly involved with white collar occupations and not the illiterate rice farmers? Only the Japanese are close to Europeans. You trust the red chinks in giving the world accurate data about their mean IQ? top kek

>Is there any correlation between "pretty eyes" and good eyesight?
Some aborigines are known to have super sight, the ability to resolve things at much greater distances than non-Aborigines, which is extremely useful in the outback and for hunting etc. But most people don't consider Abo's pretty, so I don't think there is a correlation.

Every inhabitable place on earth experiences night. And one of the brightest conditions on earth is a snowy landscape, which most of Europe gets quite often. If you'd ever left your Florida trailer you'd know that.
PS: Irish and polish don't count as white. Stay mad, mutt

> (OP)
>It's weird, isn't it? Differently colored eyes provide no evolutionary benefit, but they are still sought after

blue eyes are unpigmented, green are partially, brown are pigmented

open access paper

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886912000840

>Pigmentation of the hair, skin, cuticle, feather and eye is one of the most salient and variable attributes of vertebrates. In many species, melanin-based coloration is found to be pleiotropically linked to behavior. We review animal studies that have found darker pigmented individuals average higher amounts of aggression and sexual activity than lighter pigmented individuals. We hypothesize that similar relationships between pigmentation, aggression, and sexuality occur in humans. We first review the literature on non-human animals and then review some of the correlates of melanin in people, including aggression and sexual activity. Both within human populations (e.g., siblings), and between populations (e.g., races, nations, states), studies find that darker pigmented people average higher levels of aggression and sexual activity (and also lower IQ). We conceptualize skin color as a multigenerational adaptation to differences in climate over the last 70,000 years as a result of “cold winters theory” and the “Out-of-Africa” model of human origins. We propose life history theory to explain the covariation found between human (and non-human) pigmentation and variables such as birth rate, infant mortality, longevity, rate of HIV/AIDS, and violent crime.

I mean one of the biggest theories is that light eyes really did evolve for the low light/cloudy conditions maritime Europe. Also why Europeans have such light skin. Low levels of light, even compared to places of similar latitude like East Asia. I'm not the guy you responded to though.

I thought light eyes were just a consequence of having little melanin, which is an actual advantage. I have never seen any evidence that eye color directly affects vision.

>
>I thought light eyes were just a consequence of having little melanin, which is an actual advantage. I have never seen any evidence that eye color directly affects vision.
quantity of light is directly related to the resolution available. i'm not sure which way it would go or if there'd be other important factors

dark eyes keep the sun out of your pupil, just like the black paint football players put under their eyes, also good for night vision
colored eyes help with gethering berries (or so I've heard)

> Asians have higher IQs than whites
> It's all a government lie!

> Whites have higher IQs than blacks
> It's the honest truth

White people logic.

> evolutionary point of view
Evolution doesn't have a point of view, nor is every cell necessarily a function of sexual selection.

Sometimes it's just dumb luck.

*/pol/ logic

if something is rare or excotic, it is seen as unique, and uniqueness is seen as a very desirable trait amongst people.

la creatura....

perhaps a degree of attractiveness in humans is set to be random to push for genetic safety nets, in the sense that you can't define a perfect woman's body, since everyone will have differing opinions, and even if that behavior is learned from parents, then where did they learn that behavior, unless it was randomly emergent in humans?

Brown eyes are considered to be very ugly or even animalistic where I'm from. First time I saw brown eyes in real life was at 14 and it made me very uncomfortable, I think it was the uncanny valley effect and it just felt like the person was not fully human.
Still feels like that and it does not matter how "white" or "black" you are, if you have brown eyes then I can't view you as a human emotionally.
Same with all other people from here that I talked to.

Congratulations. You are a literal inbred.

Cultural imprinting by western cultures on foreign ones, the same one that tries to place white people as superior to other races.
Exoticism.
Personally, I don't think blue-eyed or hazel-eyed individuals are any more attractive than brown-eyed individuals. In fact, I feel like blue-eyed individuals have the eyes of a soulless person.

>rate of HIV/AIDS, and violent crime.
What in the everlasting fuck. Why are pol/tards so gullible?

>brown people do not have higher rates of HIV/Aids and crime

>iq
Not science.

>Those with ligh colored eyes are more evolved, and often times smarter, than their dark eyed counterparts.
lol

>rates
there's more brown people

Source?

>Whites have higher IQs than blacks
compare europe to africa
>Asians have higher IQs than whites
these "facts" are from a country where running over children for no reason is considered normal, skinning dogs on the street is a common sight, shitting out babies and leaving them to die on dirty streets is socially acceptable. this is while their government proceeds to pollute the living shit out of their country and therefore the world while constructing entire ghost cities of commie blocks. but yeah we're supposed to believe they're hyper-intelligent because of a forced bookworm meme pushed by (((hollywood))).

don't believe europe or america during the industrial revolution were much prettier

It's up to iq supporters to demonstrate iq is science, which it isn't. Iq is pseudoscience.

Two sources only cause I'm on my phone and too lazy to look for more. You can find a bunch of studies using google.

eric.ed.gov/?id=ED429148

emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Intelligence-and-socioeconomic-success-A-meta-analytic-review-of-longitudinal-research.pdf

The fact you look for social civility as a factor of high iq is interesting as the premiere civilization of antiquity to western society that being Rome had their own glaring issues involving social civility despite their many feats.

Also by using such an argument you are left open to easily pointed out contradictions. One being that Mesoamericans having higher IQ's than black Africans yet producing civilizations like the Aztecs who had human sacrifice as a important role to their society.

Different eye color helps in different climates. It is also a way to help prove parentage in places that have mixed eye colors among the population.

>more non-direct correlations
Iq cannot even answer the most simple questions:
>doesn't know what is intelligence
>doesn't define intelligence influences
>doesn't explain intelligence physical mechanism
Therefore iq is not science. Iq is pseudoscience.