Post the best Sun Dried Tomatoes, along with you favorite recipe or how you like to eat them!!

The best things in life always take a lot of time.

Is it the same with tomatoes?

I cut them up and add them to past sauce, focaccias and pizzas or to sandwiches. If i'm feeling like it i just eat them plain.

I like putting them on crackers with cold cream cheese and drizzling chipotle tobasco sauce ontop

Sun dried tomatoes have gotten so popular that I wonder if they're all actually sun dried and not oven dried or something.

Sear a chicken breast in a pan with olive oil.
In the same pan, while the chicken finishes cooking, reduce balsamic vinegar with a sweetener like honey, thinly diced sundried tomatoes and hazelnuts.
Check for salt to balance all the other tastes you got in there and serve it over rice.

Peng

I'm already tasting it... wow...
Sorry I'm not native speaker. So a 2:1 ratio of vinager to honey is ok? I have an old wine bottle that spoiled, is that wine vinager good as well?

No problem, I'm not either.
Sorry, I wouldn't be able to tell you about quantities, I almost never measure anything and it depends on how sweet you like it. 2:1 sounds a bit too sweet though. But you can have a taste when it's almost reduced to the texture you want, and then add more vinegar or honey if necessary.

I'm not sure spoiled wine would be acidic enough to replace actual vinegar, plus balsamic vinegar has a very special aroma that's different from regular red wine vinegar - don't ask me the specifics. BUT, you can always try and see f it works.

>I wonder if they're all actually sun dried and not oven dried or something.

You can sun dry them if you make some sort of box covered with cheesecloth and let them sit at least 3 days in a well ventilated place.
Or you can oven dry them on low for 3-4 hours.

You'll see the difference before you taste it them though.

That sounds like some memories of mine as well.

You will definitely enjoy putting them on sliced peasant bread, with the bread alone or goldened with butter and oregano, and on top of them melted cheese, some fine basil and pepper if you'd like

Kinda like this

Surely only one person can post "the best" sun dried tomatoes. Others might be good, but they're not the best.

>plus balsamic vinegar has a very special aroma that's different from regular red wine vinegar

Well... the grandma cooked new year's foods in red wine vinegar so, nobody ever died of that. lol.
I'll go for your original recipe tho, you got me there just mentioning the aroma thing. I'll go see if I can find some of it to sniff upon.

Balsamic vinegar is darker, sweeter and more syrupy than red wine vinegar, so it will get thicker and sweeter as it reduces. Plus it gives the dish an amazing shiny black colour.

But I guess that using red wine vinegar - which is delicious as well - with a bit more honey could get close enough. You might then need to use some trick to help it thicken if the extra honey doesn't do the job, like a tiny bit of potato starch, because you don't want the chicken to overcook.

Seriously, now I'm just hungry, polished chicked breast is my next stop then. I think I can imagine.
And the dried species wouldnt be better smashed/mortared on top of them like a soft sauce spread rather than thinly sliced upon?

Any idea for a dried tomatoe sauce? I was thinking in those dips that are contained by the carcass of some big piece of bread hollowed and are served in reunions/parties/gathering etc. Oh I don't know what to call them, my food vocabulary is so poor.

It's interesting that you describe it as a carcass. You're completely right. We just call them hollowed-out sandwiches as far as I know, but there's a lot of ways you can approach it. You could make a regular tomato sauce, reduce it more than you usually would and chop some dried tomatoes to add, or make it more like a pesto.

I like the pesto solution, it answers both your questions. You could make a pesto-like coarse puree with olive oil, dried tomatoes and hazelnuts (I am associating it because I was getting my sundried tomatoes in olive oil with hazelnuts and it makes a very good mix). Then, you can use it like regular pesto on pasta or using it in the chicken dish - either in the vinegar from the start or just smothered on the chicken.

That sounds like it'd be 10/10 on pasta. I might have to make some myself.

Personally I love subdried tomatoes in a cold pasta salad with feta crumbles, chopped Kalmata olives, roasted red peppers, and fresh dill or oregano. That's summer in a bowl right there.

Wait, scratch the oregano and use fresh basil instead. Also throw in some diced cucumber. Then it's perfect.

Sun dried tomatoes is my secret ingredient when I make pizza, pasta, lasagnas, desu

Sun dried tomatoes are gross
That is all

sun dried tomatoes were the OG avocado

remember when they were forced into everything?

Ohh man, that's like... what god made for himself on the last day. but I've never heard of cucumber on pasta, even cold though, corn could probably do the trick the same trick as well

It would be nice to make some lasagna with that sauce layered inside and upon it, now that's a sight I need to see.

I'm convinced that drying is the best way to preserve the six million cherry tomatoes you get off of an halfway prolific plant. They're already really sweet and flavor; drying them takes it to a whole other level. Perfect size for throwing a couple into a salad or pasta sauce. It is supremely awesome to have a bunch of dried tomatoes to use in the dead of winter