Which book provided the most fun and enjoyable read for you?

Which book provided the most fun and enjoyable read for you?

Armor, followed by Grendel. The latter really must be taught, on a dry run it's just kind of wacky atonal modernism with fun mythological characters.

Armor, though, is pure fucking hype in text format, aside from maybe the picnic scene which had no purpose (really most of the frame narrative has no purpose other than being fun, and that's ok)

The lightbringer series by Brent weeks was my most recent fun read.

American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

A number of noir books from the mid 20th century: Jim Thompson, Patrica Highsmith, David Goodis.

Charles Willeford's books are a lot of fun as well because his main characters tend to be low-life psychopaths.

My Struggle vol 2

Redwall

The Day of the Jackal

This book made me laugh more than any other. It also made me cry. It's long but I couldn't put it down, Barth is a genius

Xenophon's Symposium

Don Quijote; though his Novelas Ejemplares are just as good

I really enjoyed reading The Savage Detectives, though reading it so compulsively caused me to become "intoxicated" by it, so sometimes the enjoyment left. But in the end it was an amazing, fun read.

A confederacy of dunces. It's honestly like an r9k greentext in book format.

not sure if want

The Magic Mountain by Mann

Weirdly Kafka - The Trial

It feels strangely reassuring that I'm not the only one who struggles with the absurdity and uncertainty of human existence. More than other related books by authors such as Camus or Sartre

Robert Louis Stevenson is in the perfect sweet spot of having lots of proper literary and intellectual merit, but also being chockablock with with fun stuff like pirates, mad scientists, sword fights and sizzling gypsies.

Illuminatus Trilogy

ulysses. never had such laughs reading a book

A tie between 1984 and Beowulf. Beowulf would probably win because I read it aloud like I was telling a story.

I know it's a meme, but Infinite Jest. Maybe because I also played competitive tennis when younger, was 4th regionally (not very good)

>1984
>fun and enjoyable
lol

>Not finding the torture and abuse scenes hot

found the /b/tard

Tolkien's The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I grew quite fond of the characters the more I've read, the world building is phenomenal and the world itself is thoughtfully crafted, while the prose is filled with detailed descriptions, yet is always fluid and there's some clever world play in it. I even loved the songs, especially the one for Boromir and Mithrandir.

>inb4 tax memes

I have a little penguin 50 page collection of Marquez stories. It's called seventeen poisoned Englishmen. The middle two stories are my two favorite short stories of all time.

Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell.

Same here
Obviously as an adult I've never felt the same joy as I did as a child, so Treasure Island will probably forever be the one.

Some crappy YA fantasy book that I read when I was 12 yo, but that's only because back then I was not dead inside.

Same for me. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller was also a very enjoybale read, albeit lighter than TSD.

>Grendel
+1!

Flann O'Brien
Flashman
Recently: Martin Booth: A Very Private Gentleman

the secret history and narcissus and goldmund are comfy af

I only read books that I know I'll enjoy. I rarely finish one that I don't. My last favourite book that I read was probably The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac.

Ulysses, Faust Part II, The Passion According To GH, that's the stuff I find fun and enjoyable.

All Murakami novels and short stories and also Underground by the same.

Also David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas, Number 9 Dream, and Ghostwritten.

Also Gulliver's Travels. Fucking Hilarious.

I loved the film. I should read this. I need to check this used bookstore near me for it.

I really liked the secret history. Is Narcissus and Goldmund similar? Or just also good

Franny and Zooey or Tortilla Flat

I can actually see Ignatius ranting on /pol/ about the benefits of monarchism.

My diary desu

Animal Farm. It's super comfy, especially with all the pictures. Probably my favorite book also desu

God I want to pet that cat

siddhartha from hesse
just some good shit

Don't think starting my own thread just for a question like that is necessary, and since the topic is about reading and pleasure gained from it, here we go:

Is it necessary to begin with The Greek to begin with the Veeky Forums's world ?

I don't want to read greek myths, I'd like to read some classic meme, the most famous pieces of work done and from there, find my way up to more discreet books, and maybe come back to the greek.

Is it very problematic to start with the most famous book (things like Hugo, Hemingway, Poe etc.) instead of what is advised by Veeky Forums ?

I want to take up reading as a hobby, is it also wrong if I begin with meme shit tier like Harry Potter (I like reading them from time to time and it could ease the setting up of the hobby) or should I man up and get my hands dirty with more "classic" books ?

Twlight. Just saying.

Lights Out in Wonderland by DBC Pierre. I also enjoyed the Wilt books by Tom Sharpe

The master of the game

I haven't read that many books yet, but I haven't smiled and chuckled to them as much as I did to this one.
Something about the characters, setting and dialogue worked for me.

The Old Man and the Sea was also comfy.

Follow your heart, do what thou wilt, be yourself &c.

Invisible Monsters and Rant. I'm not fucking sorry.

mason & dixon

The Warlord Chronicles, by Bernard Cornwell

I can read it a hundred times, I will always enjoy it as it was the first, and cry at the ending.

Not "fun" so much as kind of a headache. My brain felt a little stronger after reading it.

Love reacts only, haters begone.

The Bible

lol u neva r had sex

In Search of Lost Time

The characters and world-building are amazing. Comfy as fuck to read before bed/10
Did you also read what I talk about when I talk about running? I haven't read all of his books but I found it really interesting. For him it seems as though running is an extremely integral part of his discipline and structures his day and writing. Of course there's more to it but I really like reading about an authors day-to-day and how they motivate themselves.

This shit. Couldn't put it down, finished it in a few days. Also I never get emotional over books but this made me tear up at a couple points.

I really don't get why people read so much fiction when non fiction is just as riveting with the bonus of it being actually fucking true lol

Oblomov, Count of Monte Cristo, Wind Up Bird Chronicle and a few parts of War & Peace

Each for different reasons but they were all really great to read and long enough to get some long sessions out of.

are you 13?
Read what you want to read, if you start reading something and don't like it, just drop it and start something else.

After a while you will realise what you enjoy and will be able to branch out from that or go even more niche

If a book is fun then it's not enjoyable.

The Moon and Sixpence - W Somerset Maugham
Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles

i found it very enjoyable as well, user. i sorta miss reading it. gonna have to pick up the pale king one of these days

the demolished man
the stars my destination
dark matter
the jeeves novels
my diary desu

Rabelais's Gargantua and Pantagruel as well as Sterne's Tristram Shandy

seconding this
my sides were gone when he calls people degenerates..

The activity of reading Pale Fire is first-rate entertainment.

I was forced to read it in high school, but a lot of it went over my head desu. That was almost 10 years ago now, I think I should revisit it

recently the golden calf
ever probably a picturebook about santa town

This is some nice fresh pasta

I Am a Cat by Soseki
Tristram Shandy by Sterne
Molloy by Beckett

Those are the first three that come to mind.

nice. Agreed on these (especially Flann O'Brien).

How difficult is this book? I read Lost in the Funhouse, which was very good, but took me forever to get through (despite being only 200 pages).

>I Am a Cat by Soseki
Maybe I should read it again, but it did absolutely nothing for me. I've read everything by Soseki available in translation, and loved everything except for that one and Botchan.

american psycho
i've read it like five times and it still makes me laugh

haven't found a book since that makes me cackle in delight

guess i should try reading some of ellis other works

i don't think any of his other stuff could possibly have the same impact as psycho had on me though

the picture of dorian gray

the amount of times i had to close the book and pick my jaw up off the floor is great

The Count of Monte Cristo

1,400+ pages of pure hype that builds to an amazing series of like 7 back-to-back climaxes. Feels abound too, by the last page tears were streaming down my face. The absolute most fun and most satisfying book I've ever read, it's like the literary equivalent of nutting deep inside your soul mate for the sole purposes of procreation and love, fulfilling your biological imperative and achieving happiness at the same time. There's parts that drag and shit but damn, 11/10 book imo

secret history donna tartt
fun as fuck

Pynchon's Against the Day is a lot of fun

Osamu Dazai's One hundred views of Mount Fuji

this. but why tf didn't he kill the cunt Danglars???
that always got to me.

The Savage Detectives and 2666(though it dragged a bit during the Crimes and Fate parts, but it rose to absolute heights with Archimboldi)
Crime and Punishment
Borges´s short stories, poems, essays, critique, interviews, hearing him talk, etc.
Stoner, even thoug it´s quite depressing, it´s avery enjoyable read

I guess he got his fill of blood after the first few, no further need. He utterly wrecks absolutely everyone so he had to stop somewhere I guess. Danglars did deserve it though.

seconding this, its a masterpiece

also in terms of "fun" but not really highly intellectual try Animal Farm by Orwell. Great read, although it's not challenging

I absolutely loved reading Winter's Night. It's fun, weird, emotional, surprising, and by the third chapter I remember thinking "oh fuck off now" while chuckling out loud. It feels like a fun little reminder of all the things literature can achieve, even without getting super quirky.

Unironically Infinite Jest.
It's just a big fat toy you can play around for ages.

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Recently I read the Cossacks by Tolstoy. It was an incredibly soothing and comfortable read. The way he describes the Cossack village and its surrounding makes you feel like you are really there. I think I'm becoming a Cossackboo

admit it, you just want to knout the zhids.

For me, I found a lot of pleasure and joy in reading Don Quixote and Moby Dick. Not necessarily pleasure, but I thoroughly enjoyed Crime & Punishment too and I finished it, feeling somewhat comforted by the redemptive ending.

Hoping to come across books this year that I enjoyed like those ones.

bullshit

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend

I really like comedy

amsterdam stories
pedro paramo
flashman
journey to the end of the night
candide
the ego and its own

>pic

2comfy4me

winter can't come soon enough

Inside 3D Studio Max

Venus in Furs was a surprisingly readable.

M Y M A N
Y
M
A
N

>Know nothing about Bionicles
>All I know is that they are robot alien things that wear masks
>Go to fanfiction.net
>Search Bionicle
>Go to the oldest "complete" series' that you can find
>"68 Chapters"
>Read the collective universe that some literal who has had to build from scratch for years surrounding a universe of strange alien life

>Grendel
Mah nigga

Honestly anything by Bret Easton Ellis
(Except imperial bedrooms)

I'd have to say Azincourt by Bernard Cornwall

>Count of Monte Cristo
This is my jam if I wanna re read something long, it got me through some tough times in Highschool and just reading it reminds me of those days.
>the stars my destination
The only time I've gotten recommended a book by /m/ and it's the only book I've loved straight from the get go and only loved more as it went on.