Scientifically, is it better to study with or without music?

Scientifically, is it better to study with or without music?

>scientifically
Without
>in practice
With
It depends on the person, but I'm likely to study for longer and get more work done with music, even though it may confuse your brain to learn new information with music on. Pros outweigh the cons in my case.

If you need to memorize the basic of something don't listen to music.
If you do make it jazz instrumental at low volume.

Studies say without. In practice, I find music helpful for low-intensity, boring tasks like doing my final write ups for proofs I already worked out. It is also a decent motivator/stimulant when I have to work into the night.

But if I am really trying to work something out, something that requires a lot of thought, I absolutely can't have music

I agree with you. What sort of music do you listen to while studying? I enjoy chill beats for the most part. I think some music can be overwhelming and overly distracting. Almost anything with vocals can fall into that category because you can start listening to the lyrics instead of reading for example.

Oh, word of advice.
The way the brain works is contextual dependent. That means if you are studying for an exam by running problem sets or practice tests, do it as close to a real exam situation as possible. Ie, no music, quiet area, no snacks, around the same time of day, and with time constraints.

It helps a lot to do this

I actually can be blasting relatively distracting music, and still focus on what I'm doing, but if I don't have the willpower to stay focused, or I need more brainpower on the current problem, yeah I'll switch to chiller stuff.

music stimulates neurons. your brain is like a clay, and listening to music makes them more warm and plastic.

Lmao

this is the basic analogy for you IQlets. i can't tell you how it works, because you don't understand how memories chemistry works

Without
with is for brainlets

So are you saying that's good because you can mold them aka learn more easily?

i only listen to occultic black metal while cracking the code

When I work on something, I like listening to music. When I study, I can't.

>waste some of your finite attention span when you need it the most
brainlet move

Cool story bro

Hammering a nail in your dick will also stimulate your neurons.

but i am female :/

then your clit

wait, do girls not have a penis?

i already had piercing
meh

One day a kid was taken to the principles office for hammering a nail into his dick during study period. He said he did it to stimulate his neurons, but he ended up getting suspended.

This child's name? Albert Einstein.

also we do crap smelly disgusting shit

yes. listening to music is equal to overclock the brain.

It depends...

There is no science of what YOU consider music.

if you study whit music , its ok , if you study the same thing again whit no music , you win.

you have to alter the area around you in order to memorize, basics of cognition

Depends on the person.

>Scientifically, is it better to study with or without music?
Personally, if I am studying something that takes concentration then music is just a distraction. If it isn't that hard, just have to go through the motions, music is nice so I don't get bored with it.

TLDR, music is distracting except for some classical music

Because of outside noise id say with music. With minimal outside noise/white noise probably better without.

If classical music isn't just as distracting for you, it's because you're a brainlet.

This. I use a single playlist of a few hundred loud EDM tracks that I've heard a billion times. My brain just filters it out for the most part, and it drowns out almost everything from the surrounding environment.

I have found it depends on what I'm studying. Doing math or drawing, I can listen (and pay attention) to podcasts or music. But something like programming or writing, I have to do it in silence, or make sure the music is strictly atmospheric/ambient, otherwise I wont be able to pay attention to both, and it ends up hindering progress.

Depends if there are distracting sounds (traffic, elevator etc.) nearby.
If not, silence is best.
Otherwise a boring classical music without vocals, just barely loud enough to drown out the distracting noises, is best.

It's basically impossible for me to concentrate while listening to music, even if it has no vocals. Will it be beneficial for me if I try and concentrate while listening to something or should I not worry about it?

I think most people don't really know how to listen to the music and to apply it in their studying. It is a mixture of posture and focus. Simple music is best - simple as in any music you are able to decipher the rhythm to.