Tfw feel for the "2 years of Community College then transfer" meme

>tfw feel for the "2 years of Community College then transfer" meme
>75% of Chemistry 1 classmates absolutely baffled by dimensional analysis and converting units
>Students talk at like 20 wpm, almost like the concept of thinking itself confuses them
>Have to spend 2 classes for every single section in math classes because nobody can grasp anything without hours of explanation

Can we just have a thread for letting out all our smug narcissistic hatred for people we perceive as less intelligent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>smug narcissistic hatred for people we perceive as less intelligent
Said the freshman in Chem 1

>go to joke-tier university in my hometown
>easy 95+ in every class because even in senior year everybody is retarded

>think CC is easy because it is CC
>think all the students are dumb because it is CC
>finally transfer to a quality university
>it is just as easy and sometimes easier
>most of the students are still dumb
>graduate without really trying, except for a few classes
>get a nice job
>everyone is still dumb
>considering grad school just to meet these mythic smart people
Does everyone just pretend to be dumb? Is the NPC theory true? Is almost everyone just lazy and tries even less than me?

So unless you someone got credits without taking the class you're a brainlet?

From personal experience in engineering courses, a lot of people just want to get the degree with as little effort as possible, only a handful are actually looking forward to using it.

No, what I'm saying is you should be humble because you're at the bottom of the barrel still.

We like to meme about us being autistic or dumb or just shitty people, but evidence has more or less shown that Veeky Forums selects for people of above average intelligence. The high barrier for entry into the culture ensures that only people who can handle it come through.

Exactly. A case in point, actually, presented itself in the last few days in the form of that gold ball probability problem. Those feeble minded enough to think the answer is 2/3 are ostracized from the community via social pressure, and have a low likelihood of coming back. As a result, only those of those who are intellectually sophisticated remain.

He's saying that chem 101 is literally intro the highschool chemistry.
There were idiots in highschool, there will be idiots in community college, there are idiots in abet colleges. Every college has idiots, no major is safe.
You will still have idiots in your 400 level courses.

user is calling you a faggot for being smug about being in an intro to an intro class.

Answer is 1/2 tho

>NPC theory
What's this theory? Link?

Yea, that's what I said derp nugget

It is 2/3.

>not skipping an entire year of college using AP classes

so are you stupid or poor?

I took DE at CC and most of my classmates were smart. Maybe stop taking classes for idiots? I also transferred into UC Berkeley. So it worked out.

do you not understand baye's theorem?

He was wrong and didn't consider the box cases

The chance you chose the Gold Gold box is twice the chance you chose the Gold Grey box, so the answer is 2/3rds. I got 1/2 the first time I saw the problem too.

ah yes, the legendary "comditional probability works differently if you have metal balls in 3 boxes" lemma. i know it well.

>you have three boxes
>you can choose from two of them
>you have an equal chance of picking either box
>the chance of picking the GG box is double that of picking the GS box
Are you pretending to be stupid?

I sometimes wonder if everyone is actually retarded or merely pretending to be so I won't feel ashamed of being retarded. Like a parent talking to a 4 year old about how great their drawing of a stick figure is.

>>you have an equal chance of picking either box

The answer is actually 75% I don't know what user's problem is.

You had a 1/3 chance of choosing any of the boxes. If you chose Gold Gold, you had 100% chance of picking a Gold on the first draw. If Gold Grey, you had 50%. If Grey Grey, you had 0%. Since you chose a Gold on the first draw we know you didn't choose Grey Grey. At this point, we know that you chose Gold Gold with a probability of 2/3rds and Gold Grey with a probability of 1/3 since you got Gold on the first draw. Your chance of getting gold on your next draw from the same box is 2/3 (100%) + 1/3 (0%).

i experienced this until grad school in math. after that point it really was talking to peers.

with all IQ talk, I'm surprised at how incompetent Veeky Forums can be

i have an IQ of 92 and it's obvious why it's 2/3. how do you not understand?

>At this point, we know that you chose Gold Gold with a probability of 2/3rds and Gold Grey with a probability of 1/3 since you got Gold on the first draw.
HURRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFF DUUUUURRRRRRRRR

0/10 read the prompt.

posting this bait immediately ruined the thread

Read the prompt. At the words "It's a Gold Ball" you need to calculate the probability you chose any of the boxed. The probability you chose Grey Grey is 0%. The probability you chose Gold Gold is twice the probability you chose Gold Grey.

how do you know to take off your pants before shitting? honest question

I don't need to. The prompt told me that I already took my pants off.

its just like the monty hall problem

>the monty hall problem
youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI
Literally this video.

You are more likely to have the Gold Gold box than the Gold Grey box. I don't know what else to tell you.

I had the option to test out with AP credit and I didn't, because I knew I would learn the material more thoroughly in college.

Needless to say, I destroyed all of the retards who skipped calc 1/2 in the higher level courses.

imagine the GoldGold as the car, the GoldGrey as the option to switch boxes, and GreyGrey as the goat

That's excluded from the problem, dickhead brainlet. You already chose gold.

Go take a basic statistics course, user. It might be too late for you.

Yes we chose Gold but we have no idea which box we chose. We are twice as likely to have Gold Gold than Gold Grey.

>there's two boxes!
>that means 50%!

That's wrong. This must be the first five you've seen the problem. I even ran a simulation that confirmed 50℅. I can tell both of you either a) have never taken more than 1 statistics class or b) haven't thought about this much and aren't too bright

Post your simulation and I'll tell you were it is wrong.

>runs faulty simulation
>"HAHA 50%!"

my simulation shows 2/3

Post it, mongoloid.

>Total trials: 1000000
>Proportion of successes: 0.667195

not really, you're probably just way in over your head and a huge narcissist, or you're actually smart. Given the extremely high density of the former, and the virtual impossibility of the latter, the probability is that you fall under the former category.

Why don't you fags join mensa or something if you're so much smarter than everyone else?

>tfw to smart for mensa

Here's my simulation, which through a thousand trials shows a little over 2/3 actually.
Either way 50/50 people are absolute brainlets, incapable of seeing big picture in even the simplest of problems

To be fair, this tripped me and trips most people up the first time I read it. Tons of very smart people are initially tripped up by these types of problems.

I do not think you (explicitly) simulate the actual problem statement here
you do not seem to take into account already having chosen a gold ball, jumping immediately to the second choice.

even if you somehow end up with the same proportion as if you had done it explicitly I suppose, but I can not tell why it works out the same off hand

what up owen

Skipping the second step still implies the second step did occur, however. Thus, choosing the gold ball must be included in the simulation, regardless of how it is in the problem.

how

if box == 0,1:
#this sits well with me as those are the only gold boxes

secondchoice = random.randint(0,1)
if choice[secondchoice] == G
#but this increments goldgold even if "not secondchoice" turned out to be silver?

it just feels like an unnecessary change/way to implement it given how the problem was stated

yo what up my man, mr. James bond ;)

Not him but I still chose to go because of required classes not offered under AP for me. Shit is absolute cancer. I had to take shit like Music Appreciation and what not, I did get credit for the stuff like Physics and Calc I and II tho.
Community college is worth saving all that money even with all the damn retards there.

Which I fucking HATE. I switched from Physics to Materials Science so I could basically get as "specialized" as early as possible for physical chemistry or condensed matter physics in grad school but I still plan on doing useful shit in industry with my degree eventually (MatSci is combined with Engineering). I fucking hate how 90% of these guys are dumbass MechEs who struggle with basic ass mechanics and barely pass Calc I and just don't even care for science. Shit gets my blood boiling just at the thought. Disgusting.
>inb4 can't specialize as an undergrad hurr durr
I know. The degree is to put more focus specifically in the subfield of physics that I want to study.
I may just grab a master's because I'm a failure but a Ph.D from daddy Caltech sounds sexy as fuck.

It's hopeless, user. Some guys here actually believe math has no bearing on reality. I have no idea why I still come here. Leave while you still can.

What the fuck? If you talk greater than 20 wpm you're probably unintelligible

>double counting
What a faggot.

To be clear, you're a faggot because you are considering scenarios where the GS box came up silver first. That is not permitted under the prompt.

>have a low IQ and got 2/3 immediately
lmao

some of you are literally dumber than a certified brainlet

dude, stomp all over those shitters, take your 4.0 GPA and laugh all the way to your 4 year knowing you got the same content for half the price.

Is the answer 1/3?

Scratch that I thought about It more and realised that it could’ve been picked out of the box with two gold balls making it approx. 1.5/3 or 1/2. But then I thought that’s an approximation of a probability just doesn’t seem fitting and found out that the probability of the ball being picked out of the double gold box is actually higher than picking it out of the half gold half silver. Taking this assumption into account it would be 2/3. But this is on an assumption therefore not a garuanteed result

just do it with bayes theorem. pic related

it's obviously 2/3 without it though. it would be 1/2 if it were equally likely to pick the GG box as it were to pick the GS box. but it's clearly more likely that you'd pick the GG box (because it's given that you picked a gold ball)

forgot pic

why do poeple on Veeky Forums love calling each other narcissists? is it because they're also narcissists?

wait this is Veeky Forums fuck. well i see the accusation here too. point stands.

my cc was literally harder than the uni I'm currently going to. I struggled to get B's in cc now I have an 'A' average in all my classes and got two A's and a B in my first quarter. The classes I'm taking are easy as hell yet everyone seems to think they're extremely difficult. CC was far more stressful than this. I'm pretty sure those fuckers over at the CC made it as hard as possible so they could keep people there for as long as possible. Fuck those assholes.

Even I got this! I'm a high school drop out brainlet!!!

I don't even know who this bayes faggot is

you're risking an inferiority complex and needless suffering once you transfer if you keep looking down on your cc peers, from personal experience. whatever you think a 'community college' student looks like is what you're going to think your future students view you as most likely

>math major
>taking physics electives because I want to do a postgraduate in physics
>first week of every class is vector algebra and calc 3 refresher

Yeah I'm in a """CS""" class in CC right now. Week 4 now and today someone asked "Is If the same thing as While?". We haven't written a single line of code, people say the dumbest shit and clearly have 0 clue what's going on. The professor tries to dumb things down as much as possible but it's just not possible to teach someone who isn't gonna learn. For fucks sake, the final exam is on multidimensional arrays. I feel like some sort of hyper genius sitting in that class, and I feel bad but sometimes I find it hard not to laugh at the retarded shit they say with complete confidence.

That's what I did, feels good man. 20% of the students breezed through CC, the other 80% had problems making a B or higher in Intro to Biology. Stellar astronomy was an absolute massacre. I also had an english class which started at ~30 students, and only 6 remained by the end of the semester.

All that said, some of my fellow 20%ers were genius tier and made me feel like a brainlet at times.

My CC was kind of like this at times, it has a kind of "working relationship" with a highly ranked state university that just so happens to be in the same city. I definitely had to work hard with a few classes, but I ended up getting in to the aforementioned university and it honestly prepared me pretty well.

Most other folks ended up at the shit tier uni on the outskirts of town though.

Read the problem again.

>when you're at uni and the electrodynamics class avoids Calc III and does its best to use only Calc I

That just sounds like an intro to programming class, not a computer science class. Normal universities usually start you with intro to C programming, but community colleges require to take a "intro to programming" class before then because there are a lot of brainlets n those classes getting associates or IT certs so they have to be taught pseudo-code before they are even allowed to touch C.

Even worse than that, the CC I went to required a "intro to computing applications" class, which was literally an MS Office class. So there were 2 fucking prereqs to taking a C class that requires nothing at a university.

>takes an intro class chem 1
ofc you're surrounded by brainlets. chances are you're one too

in what class do they teach you how to make y'know.

y'know.
ryhmes with roms. which one? Serious question. (soap roms)????????

That's just >america
3 (three) classes for CALC EL MAO ZEDONG

How can you calculate it?

Thanks, I can understand this, but I can't really imagine it in my head. Is that maybe not how statistics work?

>>concept of thinking

You're probably just as much of a brainlet as them

>probability of box being GoldGold given that the first ball picked is gold is asked
>you calculate the probability of the first ball picked being gold given that the box is either GoldGold or GoldGrey
why don't all you brainlets take an elementary prob class before you open your retarded mouths?

Something along the lines of there's only a few actual real people, the rest of basically video game NPCs. If you don't get too close they can pass as people but the more you watch them and try to interact the faster their disguise falls apart. They're incapable of rational thought or higher thinking. Just copy pasta'd scripted replies.

>literally an MS Office class
Happened to me as well user. Wasn't even a community college, this was an HBCU. That school was absolute trash, without even going into details there was a 22% graduation rate and they had at least 1 shooting/death on campus every single year for the last few years, multiple cases of people getting jumped or attacked by gangs, constant armed robberies on campus. I only went for a semester and it felt more like living in the projects than living on a college dorm.

>They're incapable of rational thought or higher thinking. Just copy pasta'd scripted replies.
In other words: they´re feeble-minded. Occams Razor dictates that the absurd concept of "real-life NPC:s" is an unnecessarily complex way to describe the vast amount of idiots.

How is there a high barrier of entry here? All you have to do is shitpost without breaking any rules.

shitposting is breaking rules
>it's gotta be about science/math
hypotenuse

I don't get people that say uni is so damn easy. Maybe it's because I go to a top 15, but I never thought it was something I could just breeze through with minimal effort. Am I a brainlet or something?

Today I realized there's no point in trying to impress random anons on Veeky Forums. I could brag about my performance relative to others, or, I could not. Yes I'm retarded. Yes I'm autistic. Yes I'm a faggot. Take away your insults, what do you have left?

But that's just misunderstanding between local probability and full probability of the situation. Once you're already at the point where you've picked a gold ball, it's 1/2. If you consider picking the first gold ball as part of it, it's higher.