Sublimation inv proportional to surrounding pressure?

Does the rate of sublimation of dry ice or any (other solid) decrease when under higher pressure? E.g in a normal room 1 atm vs in a pressurized container at the same temperature

Other urls found in this thread:

bado-shanai.net/Map of Physics/mopLangmuirEvaporation.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't know, but my gut says it would increase.

Probably depends on the solid and gas in question.

Thermodynamically, the solid would be more stable at higher pressure (actually the liquid would be for water but w/e). Reaction rates are usually related to thermodynamic driving force (how much free energy/heat is released or stored during the reaction), so I'd expect your hypothesis to be correct.

what is even a triple point graph?

It would ease the rate of sublimation

there is no chemical reaction. its a phase change.

however you were right about pressure

this

nevermind. didnt really consider a phase change a reaction but it could be.

the graph should really tell you that pressure and temperature do effect rate of sublimation

yes. obviously.

i thought he was talking about a chemical reaction, distinct from a phase change.

he went into details about latent heats right after talking about a "reaction", which sort of through me off initially.

consider 1g of hydrogen gas in a small container at 2atm. lets say it starts sublimation, the container can't move so pressure increases. This in hand increases temp, changing environment of solid and changing rate of sulbimation

anyway the rate of sublimation is stupid complicated. it really depends on things like surface area, air flow and turbulence, radiation etc.

besides temperature and pressure.

gas cant really sublimate. solid can.

but I get your point - its totally non linear.

go ahead and write out the differential equation if you want.

well most simply you can use some Langmuir equation and ignore half the shit you said. Who measures rate of sublimation where you have some arbitrary flow and radiation exposure on it?

>Who measures rate of sublimation where you have some arbitrary flow and radiation exposure on it?

i dont know. chemical engineers for one probably

well obviously gas cant
Knudsen Langmuir is it

lots of assumptions about well mixed etc in langmuir eqn apparently

>sublimation
>chemical reaction

he said "reaction"

is that normal for a simple phase change?

cut me some slack here...

well I I'm a chem faggot, so I usually make a lot of things go for me assumption wise

chemistry /= chem engineer

they would know about this shit.

im a mere physics fag so dont ask me

so would any stem cunt that has done some thermo. the question was very fucking simple that OP asked

sorry that you applied random variables to what OP asked

gosh darnit. well I guess i have ruined the thread then...

I shall be forever ashamed of myself... thank you for berating me.

(I dont think every stem student learns this:

bado-shanai.net/Map of Physics/mopLangmuirEvaporation.htm

I didnt)