Are ads actually worth the amount they cost...

Are ads actually worth the amount they cost? I don't think I've ever bought a single thing I've seen in an ad and I can't imagine anyone with a functioning brain doing so either.

So does anyone have some stats on this subject?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/US/straight-single-men-wanting-kids-turn-surrogacy/story?id=16520916
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>pay 10k for an ad
>hundreds of thousands see it

Tell me how to market to someone for less than 10 cents a person on a product with 100+ net profit per sale.

This. I've been wondering this my entire life.

The question is, how many people are actually influenced by ads.

Ads don't actually work like "hey this us the best product, buy this product" anymore. They usually convey an emotion, and when you are in front of the super market isle, and you see the hundreds of possible choices, your unconcus will make the connections with the brands you see. Naturally the last ads you saw have stronger imprints in your mind.
Because the there are so many brands to choose from you'll go with the one that feels the most familiar.

>I don't think I've ever bought a single thing I've seen in an ad
You most likely did. The point of ads is not that you'll see them and go 'Hey, I'm gonna go and get me one of those'. The point is to expose you to the brand so that years from now when you're looking for a product you will be subconsciouly more likely to buy from a brand that feels familiar.

And believe me, if ads weren't effective multimillion dollar companies wouldn't spend money advertising

ads works like memes.
the more time you see it, the more you want to use it yourself, because that part of memory is highly potentiated and more likely be the first thing that pop out in your brain.

I go to the store, when I buy bread usually I buy the grandma whatever bread, not because it has 'grandma' whatever in the name but because it's the cheapest whole grain bread. I buy eggs in 12 packs when I get eggs, I buy non brand name cereal. I buy whatever lunch meat and cheese is the cheapest. I buy non brand name peanut butter and honey. I buy bags of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots and make my own salad with non brand name dressing.

I live off of sandwiches, salads, cereal, packets of ramen with peas, carrots, corn, and either ham or an egg I add myself. If I go out to lunch for fast food which I do with my brother once or twice a week I eat at Taco Bell because it's within walking distance of my house unless my brother requests In n Out which is across town.

I do not own a car, I take public transportation. My wardrobe consists of the $10 jeans you buy at wall-mart and T-shirts you get for free like when your local college gave away free T-shirts or you got one from your cousin for Christmas with a Tie Fighter on the front or a superhero from some movie that came out last year. The exception being 4 button down shirts my aunt gave me for my birthday last year. I work at an engineering firm so nobody cares how I dress.

I like to make terrariums, I read blogs online and build them from large jars you buy at wal-mart, aquarium gravel, soil, and seeds of various types. The only thing you can possibly say I own of any value that's a brand name anything is my laptop computer. I bought it because I researched what a good laptop would be online and learned from an article that NASA uses lenovos for the International Space Station so I bought one. It has served me well for 4 years.

I see advertising as pointless and get sick to death that I have to endure it everywhere and that my private information is sold by large faceless corporations to try and 'tailor' their ads toward me. I look forward to a day all advertising is banned.

Advertisers must be shitting their pants right now. By relentlessly forcing ads on people through every medium they can, the entire generation of people born into the internet age and later just totally filter them out.

I can't wait for the adpocalypse when companies realise gigabux for ads are worth essentially nothing.

>totally filter them out.
You'd be suprised how uninformed normies are on adblockers

Ads aren't just for buying useless shit or food that you would buy anyway. Ad also help notify people about media.(which is arguably still useless shit if you're an autistic type, I guess.) Movie trailers and game previews are also ads.

How much money you got saved up over time? That's pretty much my lifestyle right now. I'm also starting engineering this year.

ads can be very useful. for instance a new restaurant opened and they had their ad on local tv. i saw it and decided to try it out, if it wasn't for the ad i wouldn't have even known about it

more than you imagine

What is the point of this post? You're still under the influence of marketing, you're just buying lower priced stuff.

that only means that now you're gonna have to foot the bill instead of the big corporations

Most people don't know adblockers exist.

>and learned from an article that NASA uses lenovos for the International Space Station.
That's probably a marketing move by Lenovo :^)

It's not necessarily doing/buying exactly what is advertised, but a general influence that may, for example, plant the idea that pops up in your head a week later, in a certain situation.

>I see advertising as pointless and get sick to death that I have to endure it everywhere and that my private information is sold by large faceless corporations to try and 'tailor' their ads toward me. I look forward to a day all advertising is banned.
It's only going to become more invasive and personalised. Just wait till they have projections into the sky above cities, and drones lathered with advertisement mediums.

How do normies spend so much fucking money?
I can pay rent and all my bills and buy (nice) food for around $10,000 a year. I ride to uni so pretty much the only expense I have is a pool membership.The internet (piracy), libraries and local hobby clubs provide me with unlimited, basically free entertainment.
I see almost no motivation to work a fulltime job. What do the people who make 100k/y spend their money on?

Well, you still have to pay for your internet connection.
But most people are buying stuff they don't really need because they ARE influenced by advertising and/or want to impress others.
"Hey, lookit my $1000 iPhone X!!!"
"This Rolex costs $30,000, keeps no better time than your $10 wristwatch, but is waterproof to a depth of 5 miles!"
"These sneakers set me back $500 but they're endorsed by Michael Jordan!"

>Just wait till they have projections into the sky above cities
People rarely ever look up. That would be a waste of money.

Also they already have those banners on small airplanes.

>Why do people like things that I don't??????

-$50,000
I graduated in May. The only thing I plan on buying for myself once I have the money for it is this
abcnews.go.com/US/straight-single-men-wanting-kids-turn-surrogacy/story?id=16520916
That'll take up all my recourses for years.

My brother makes 100k at Cisco and has a habit of expanding his lifestyle with every pay increase and says shit like
>I just don't understand how you survive on your salary bro
Meanwhile he supports his gf, has 4 car payments and a house payment. He's living on the edge. Me and my wife have a combined income of 90k and bought a house more expensive than his, and that's my only debt other than a low limit cc for gas/beer. Some people have just picked up bad spending habits, a lot of it is a misplaced belief of status-signaling. "I just spent 6000 on this Greyhound puppy I'm such a baller etc.". It's how poor people are kept in line.

based

By not living in the goddamn boondocks. In NYC a run-down shitheap run by a slumlord will cost you at least $7-8k a year. You can triple that, if you live in a decent apartment with a roommate.