When will we have technology to safely feel something better than sex?

When will we have technology to safely feel something better than sex?
Right now, other than drugs that will fuck you up, sex is the best pleasurable feeling that makes people satisfied with their lives if they get it often enough.
What is the new thing that will make getting an active sex life a minor goal for most people?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/david-j-linden/compass-pleasure_b_890342.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wireheading.
Direct electrical stimulation of the pleasure center of the brain. By definition, nothing can be better.
Rats are allowed to press a lever which gives them a few seconds of pure bliss.
They ignore rats of the opposite sex and they ignore food and water.
They just keep pushing the lever over and over until they drop from exhaustion or starve to death.

came here to say this
From Ringworld

Would something like this be allowed by the government?

We get pleasure from dopamine, so maybe come up with some way to stimulate the part of the brain like the person above said. It is quite scary when you think about it because when you live in a future where this could be easily achieved, govt could implant some shit into the brain that would make people happy no matter what, and their human rights could be non existent. And what a society as this would do? Anything with a big o'le smile.

Probably not.
But banning alcohol didn't work out real well.
Haven't done great fighting marijuana, opioids, and methamphetamines either.

The advantage of wireheading (yes, , lifted from Larry Niven) is that you only deal with your supplier once, to have the operation.
After that, all you need is a wall outlet.
Can the government ban electricity? That'd be a stretch even for Jeff Sessions.

Seems comfy desu. Human rights are just a convention made to try and provide a good life. What's better than being happy?
Life is ultimately purposeless so might as well manipulate our biological chassis and enjoy the ride.

Wouldn't this fuck up your brain in a similar way like drugs do? I want a healthy replacement, like sex.

My uni actually did this to some monkeys. I got a tour of some group's research on campus when I was but a wee freshman. I think it was something to do with visual processing but they had electrodes connected to their brains to flood them with dopamine as a reward. They said it was essentially equivalent to giving them some banana mush that they used as treats.

That was a surprisingly cool tour.

Somewhat to my surprise, it's been tried on humans.
huffingtonpost.com/david-j-linden/compass-pleasure_b_890342.html
They were trying to reinforce certain behaviors and it seems to have worked, at least for a time, after the patient returned to his normal life. No mention of him becoming stupid or violent or psychotic or anything like that.

The theories of the guys running the experiment were decidedly weird and nothing like that would be allowed today. Social attitudes have changed. (Still a lot of throwbacks on this board though. Read article and you'll recognize them immediately.)

That pretty cool.

Sport is pretty decent and has natural limitations so you won't abuse unless you do

>wants "tech for more pleasure"
>not drugs that will ""fuck you up""

Your an idiot OP.

The cause of (for example) diamorphine's harm isnt that the pure substance is inherently dangerous, it is the fact that you get so hooked on the pleasure that you goto extreme routes to get it.

Extreme routes include but are not limited to: buying from lazy chemists who take short cuts, sharing needles, stealing, and prostitution.

Pure diamorphine that is properly dosed is actually pretty harmless.

Jesus fuck why didn't I think this. Think of how this would invalidate so many philophies of "balance of pleasure and pain"
I just don't want to think of the implications

Noooo big Tex! ;_;

>Think of how this would invalidate so many philophies of "balance of pleasure and pain"
No it wont at all. Those philosophies aren't predicated on technology or the lack of ability to have instant access to safe pleasure, but on a moral idea that both pleasure and pain are experiences that shouldn't be denied, and that balancing them is a moral duty simply in and of itself, regardless of it's outcome or anything like that.
For example, if we got a widespread way to use the wireheading to feel pleasure, I would want it to be legally programmed that for every 5 seconds of pleasure, you need to feel 1 second of pain or something like that.
Maximizing pleasure is not the thing to reach for, act-utilitarianism is a meme.

It's the philosophical pleasure chamber, but real.

Ultimately we have an instinctive aversion to the practise because we acknowledge that it prevents us from accomplishing our true goals, and we want to avoid actions that will cause this (e.g. death). Wireheading has a lot of implications in the space of machine learning and GAI as well.

> for every 5 seconds of pleasure, you need to feel 1 second of pain
Why? What is this supposed to solve?

>for every 5 seconds of pleasure, you need to feel 1 second of pain or something like that
I bet you wouldn't do that.

There is nothing to "solve" in the first place, it's about moral duty. I do not accept pleasure-seeking-utilitarianism as a respectable moral theory. I care more about balance, order, and living virtuously. Degenerating into blobs that just want to feel pleasure for arbitrarily long amounts of time without any drawbacks is the epitome of being spoiled.
There would need to be some strong limit on the use, or a trade to have the privilege to access such technology
Yea, I wouldn't use the machine at all. I don't think anyone should, but if you are, you need to have some trade.

You think (random famous but vacuous person) Paris Hilton has true goals besides getting pleasure out of life?
Look at all the rich people who snort coke. They probably have friends who had their lives ruined by drugs. Does that deter them from going down that path?
There's nothing "instinctive" about it. Doing something constructive and worthwhile in life has to be taught.

I mean that that ounce of pain would not be enough to dissuade people from wireheading. In fact it is so pleasurable you could be tortured and it would be worth it. It doesn't solve the problem that it'll fuck up society if everyone is wireheading instead of doing productive shit.

My solution would probably just be to ban it, and while people would ignore the ban I feel like there isn't really anything we could do about it aside from arresting wireheading parlor owners.

Oh I apologize for misunderstanding. Yea something like that needs to be regulated heavily or just banned, too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing yadda yadda.

>other than drugs that will fuck you up
that is not how drugs work jackass

you can't just flood the brain with dopamine to make someone happy
It's only in the synapses and there's like a system, it's not like if you increase dopamine level in all synapses you'll be happier

>Paris Hilton
business person, not a random blob, and everybody has dreams and aspirations (conquering your goals is pleasurable for you and has the same effect as sex, more on that later) don't be that edgy to think that person X is shallow so it must be a scripted robot. Their interests are shallow for you (and so is yours to them) so please, stop

PS: Life advice as a whole, not just random user saying you're wrong.

It's sort of like doing the Super Mario glitch to grant yourself maximum points. Sure, you're "succeeding" at the game but that's not why you're playing.

>When will we have technology to safely feel something better than sex?
Define safely.
>Right now, other than drugs that will fuck you up, sex is the best pleasurable feeling that makes people satisfied with their lives if they get it often enough.
Define fuck you up.

Prove to me that a life revolving around sex is any better than a life revolving around drugs.
At least most drug use doesn't spread stds or lead to more unnecessary people being produced.

Here comes the junkie.
Tell me, how heroin doesn't just fuck you up, plain and simple?

there are many things better than sex

lol

What do you mean by pleasure-seeking-utilitarianism? I was under the impression that very few authors advocated for the short-sighted hedonism but generally meant pleasure as in a positive and desirable experience. As in feeling good is what is pleasure means but what was meant was more like happiness and fulfillment. Making that distinction between utilitarianism and pleasure-seeking-utilitarianism seems strange to me.

>Here comes the junkie.
>Tell me, how heroin doesn't just fuck you up, plain and simple?

jerking off is already objectively a better sexual experience than penetrating a woman

Pain and suffering but only for those that carry that weight.

Classic junkie

wasn't even the same person dingaling but you're retarded for either strawmanning heroin as all drugs or thinking you can't do things in moderation 100% safely

Lmao

> coming down
> polymath

Heh...I just call it Rx and now it helps me better. My meds keep me grounded in reality. Backwards, but aren't we all from behind?

>t.literal cuckold

Anime and 2D waifus

>it's your moral duty to inflict unnecessary pain on yourself if you're not getting enough pain just because muh balance

>Ultimately we have an instinctive aversion to the practise because we acknowledge that it prevents us from accomplishing our true goals,
No, you have an aversion to it because your brain in its current state with its current reward system is trying to prevent you from doing this because it understands the consequences - failure in everything it sees as a goal right now.

>Right now, other than drugs that will fuck you up
Drugs wont “fuck you up” outside of getting you high (or low) as balls. As long as you take them in safe doses, there’s literally no drug that will have any long term side effects. Anything, or anyone, that tells you otherwise is a direct result of propaganda spread by the government, aimed at preventing people from trying substances that will make them a less productive member of the machine, or more importantly seeing the larger picture of what the machine is doing. I say this as a person who hasnt done drugs in months. Addiction is a problem of the weak willed. Drugs are not addictive so much as people are addicts.

Junkie

In for the luls, try sex with drugs. Ive tried amphetamines, weed, opiates. I heard mescaline is really good too. Also, cocaine. Imo opiates is the best the orgasm you get is so fucking good. Tenfolds a normal one. There you go op. This is /thread also you are uber faggot. Must be fucking hard to think for yourself.

Gogo fap fap up and away.

/thread best answer you get. Now make her wet.

I've tried hang gliding.
That was at least as exciting. I felt safe, too. The biggest danger is the takeoff. Once you're in the air., it's easy-peasy.

H makes you numb to everything though.

True. Speed is also pleasureable but it makes the wenie hard to get up. You can struggle for hours. Only thing that may work is to have someone to suck it up. But it need to be very well done. And if ur gonna fuck then you probably need to take her in the ass. Just passing xp. Opiates with weed is my perfect combination. Pinnacle of sex. Ur in heaven.

Drugs does not fuck you up, you or misunderstanding with other people fucks you up.

Unironically this though

There are different strains of utilitarianism. I think he is referring to hedonistic utilitarianism in contrast with, say, preference utilitarianism

This. Drugs aren’t even very nice because you know you haven’t ‘earned’ the pleasure, by contrast with sex which feels socially validating in addition to the sheer pleasure. I imagine wireheading would feel similar to drugs