I got some habanero and scorpion peppers from a friend and I wanna try to make fermented hot sauce but I'm retarded

I got some habanero and scorpion peppers from a friend and I wanna try to make fermented hot sauce but I'm retarded.

If I lightly blend the peppers, mango, garlic, half a white onion, sea salt, brown sugar, and a little coconut water, throw it in a mason jar and keep it covered for a week....will that be an okay way of fermenting??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo
kimcheelicious.com/2014/07/passing-gas-passive-co2-blowout-tube.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This will work.
Good luck.

I did a tabasco sauce that way last year and it worked fine. A little white mold formed on the surface that I skimmed off and it tastes very good.

This year I rough chopped everything and covered with a 5% brine wedging some boiled bamboo twigs around the top to keep everything submerged. I did a habanero tomato garlic 1 1/2 weeks ago and it's coming along nicely - no mold. I did another one yesterday adding some carrot (pic related). Whichever way, make sure you use a 5% brine (5g salt/100g water).

Do you bother burping it?

This is really easy stuff to google/youtube. It is a type of "lacto-fermentation". Just google/youtube, "hot sauce lacto-fermentation" and you'll have all the 2nd hand info you could ever use. I highly recommend everyone ITT do that actually.

That's not how you do it.

It's better to keep the lib only lightly screwed down so it can breathe continuously. With a mason jar what I've done before is have a sheet of paper towel between the jar and lid and lightly screw the lid onto it.

>paper towel
Good idea, I'll give it a go.

pretty good

The lid is only screwed on loosely. Gases can escape.

>That's not how you do it

Explain. The one I did 1 1/2 weeks ago is doing just what it's supposed to do. It turned cloudy and you can see bubbles at the surface showing the lactobacillus working.

Seriously, explain yourself.

OP here.
Got too small of a jar for all the intended ingredients.
I used garlic, mango, peppers, sea salt, and brown sugar.
I would appreciate any tips

What was your brine %? Make sure the lid is loose enough to let the gases escape or burp it everyday. It should turn cloudy and have a noticeable odor in a couple of days with bubbles on the surface. The odor should be gone in a week or so. Make sure the vegetables stay submerged. If white or goldish mold forms on top just skim it off. Black mold is supposed to be bad, but I've never had that. I usually ferment mine for 30 days. Afterwards blend it up and either strain it if you want it thinner or add more brine. Store in the refrigerator or add about 1/3 vinegar to keep it shelf stable.

Here's mine that's been going for 1 1/2 weeks. Note the cloudiness and the bubbles at the top. It had an odor at first but not now.

The lack of an airlock for one. Though, note that this post came before these posts & the latter of which I guess is I personally have homebrewing equipment and all the airlocks I need. Though, I normally use a blowoff tube which is easily diy'd by most people. Like this:

kimcheelicious.com/2014/07/passing-gas-passive-co2-blowout-tube.html

Ok. I brew wine, beer and mead too with airlocks and the contaminates that have hit me with beer a couple times have been lactos that soured. I've had multiple successes with fermented pickles and sauerkraut by simply leaving the lid loose. An airlock or blowoff is great, but certainly not an essential when you're cultivating lactobacillus if you have a proper brine %. In other words, you'll still get excellent results without it.

You can do the same thing with the first part of brewing wine. No air lock needed, just give it lots of head space, for the foam, and a loose lid. After a few days you need to switch to an airlock as it decreases in activity and microbial defences. Most blowouts occur in the first few days because people put an airlock or blowoff tube on prematurely.

For lacto-fermentation it is better to use a tube because it really helps keep insects out and off the main container. Though, I suppose that comes down to where you live. In the warmer months, I have to keep a gnat trap around 24/7 even if the place is 100% clean and sink traps are bleached.

I'm not that guy, but I both brew and ferment and I've never seen a bug try to get into a brine. With beer/wine/mead it's sugar water so it may get other organisms or bugs, but lacto is a heavily salted brine.

Ferment pickles and kraut, I mean.

I can differ.

I can defer

I mean gnats here go after just about everything that is organic. From milk to a jar of lacto-pickles. I also meant, "differ".

sorry. am slightly drunk and have a thing for homonyms

In my dialect they are pronounced differently. Though, while drunk everything sounds the same.

So I used a 5% brine as recommended.

The bits at the top keep floating up.
When I burp the mixture tonight I plan on stirring a little and pushing it down.

Any idea how I can keep the bits from floating to the top?

Is 1 week too short to ferment?

I rigged up a kind of cage with some bamboo twigs I boiled to sanitize them and wedged down. You can kind of see it in this pic. It seems to be working.

>Is 1 week too short to ferment?
the capsaicin in peppers act as a mild?(all material I find online citing this is in heavy scientific jargon but it seems like the effects vary in different varieties) antimicrobial so it tends to ferment much slower than other ferments like kraut or kimchi.

in these fermented hot sauce threads I've seen most people who have been doing this a while say that a month is the bar minimum with 2 or 3 being best. I've been searching around my town to see if anyone is experimenting with this themselves and did hear about one person who lets his peppers ferment for half a year before he stops or slows the ferment.

I live in bum fuck nowhere Italy so I will see what I can do with finding a similar contraption.
Fuckin everything is floating in the mixture though.
Is the white yeast that develops really a problem or will the fruits and veges exposed to air grow mold?

I live in a complete bumfuck backwater in the US south and just cut those twigs off some bamboo we have in our yard. I'd think you could do something similar with some small twigs from other trees. But I think if you stirred it everyday you'll probably be fine too since the mold would never have time to get established. If any does form, just skim it off. I've done that with sauerkraut before and it was fine. I think it's only the black mold that is supposed to be bad.