Without looking it up, please describe what you consider to be Bolognese sauce, then say where you live

Without looking it up, please describe what you consider to be Bolognese sauce, then say where you live.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Other urls found in this thread:

fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=150&resolution=high
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

looks like ground beef with tomato sauce and eggs

i've never tried it, california

You've never made or ordered a dish called spaghetti bolognese? Or some other kind of pasta bolognese (e.g. tagliatelle bolognese, papardelle bolognese)?

i don't recognize any of those words

pic related, faggot.

KYS from Texas.

Rich tomato sauce with ground beef - New Zealand.

In France Bolognese is basically recognized as ground beef in tomato sauce (inc. carrot & oignons).

>sponge mandible

Well I'll just head right out to the market and pick that up.

But this wasn't about criticism of any particular method or definition, but rather interest in how the term is used and understood across different regions. So no need to be rude.

What about celery? And I assume some wine is used, yes?

Yet another overrated truck drivers dish. Stop it already with the 'authentic Italian' bullshit, we've had more than enough of this.

As many veggies as possible, but the main ingredient is tomato. Meatbulls are made by hand and cooked in the sauce, like in a stew or somethings. Lots of garlic, oregano. Brown sugar and soy sauce for that perfect balance.

Sweden.

>Without looking it up
Wut?
fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=150&resolution=high
It's always some rendition of this.

So, to me, it's a slow cooked beef cut in a sauce. A ragu.

>Brown sugar and soy sauce

Wow, that's something you don't expect to hear. I put soy sauce in a lot of things too, to increase the savoriness, but I've never used it in pasta sauce. Is this common in Sweden or just something you personally do?

And what kind of meatballs do you make?

Brown sugar for the sweet, because it's the best sweetening ingredient. Soy sauce for the salt, because soy sauce is the best salty ingredient you can put it. I just use the two instead of salt and sugar, respectively.

Although a lot of times I use syrup instead of brown sugar, depends on the dish.

>what kind of meatballs
I dunno, handrolled mince meat, large and generally not very solid ones. Not any chopped onions or other ingredient except mince and pepper in the 'mix'

Then stewed in the sauce so they're very flavourful eitherway.

Sometimes the term bolognese is used to refer to a more basic tomato-meat sauce, without carrots, celery, milk, or even wine. The definition varies.

Ground Beef stir fried with finely chopped onions, carrots, celery and pancetta, doused with red wine, chicken broth and blended, canned tomatos. Season with salt, pepper and herbs, cook on low heat for no less than 3 hours. Sugar and cream can be added sparingly, according to taste.

Germany

> meat consists of beef and pork (lamb if you like that)
> classic mirepoix with a bouquet garni
> no tomatoes only tomato paste
> fuckload of red wine
> milk

that's what I would call a classic bolognese, my own tho?

> beef
> fuckload of onions, like 2 kg's of onions to 1 kg of beef
> tomato paste
> red wine
> milk

It's basic af but classic bolognese is just too much sometimes

Veeky Forums is the first place I ever heard of bolognese sauce, so I already looked it up a while back. It's a meat based sauce usually made from beef and veal along with skme vegetables, but not tomato I think. I've never had it before, Italian restaurants around me don't have it. I'm from North Carolina.

in large pot
fry meat (sausage without casing)
mince celery (root or rib), carrot, garlic and onion
add to pot and fry with meat intil onions are translucid
if available add wine
add canned roma tomato and beef stock
simmer for 2-3 hours

germany

oh forgot to add, I'll usually throw in some maggi, fish sauce and worcestershire sauce in

Also Denmark

Meat sauce
Portland Oregon

>melk
enjoy your lack of flavour dane

meat + tomato sauce + mirepoix

Ground chuck
Onions
Tomato paste
Splash of A1
I currently reside in Philomath GA.

>stir fried

the authentic one. milk, wine, tomatopyre, sofrito cooked for few hours

Ragú with talgiatelle. Sofrito on olive oil, ground beef and pork, spices, red wine, crushed tomatos. I'm pretty conservative like that. Also hungary.

I like to add ground meat to my spaghetti bolonais.

Beef mince
Bacon, Onions, Carrots
Garlic
Crushed tomatoes
Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary
Brown sugar
S/P
Serve with parmesan and fresh basil
Australia

you lie
it's half and half minced meat fried with onions and tomato puree, served with spaghetti

Reduced tomato sauce with ground beef, onions and garlic.

>hot pan
>olive oil
>ground beef / pork maybe a little veal
>salt / pepper
>onion, carrot , sellery finely chopped add into pan
>red wine (until vaporated)
>tomatoe paste
>beef stock
>rosmary, bay leaf , garlic chopped
>salt
>add pasta

finish with parmesan , fresh pepper

Germany

lamb and beef mince in tomato sauce with herbs.

Sauce made with bologna

Eastern united states

Beef braised in milk, wine then tomato.

Fry in olive oil - onion, celery, carrot - add - garlic, oregeno, salt, pepper - add - ground beef - brown the beef - deglase with red wine - add whole bottle of red wine, add crushed tomatoes, simmer and reduce for 4 hours adding water occasionally.

Brussels, Belgium.

>Onions
>Garlic
>Beef mince.
>Oregano
>Basil
>Diced tomatoes
>Tomato paste
>Beef Stock

Australia

>translucid
>wet dream about traps
kek

but yeah the top one sans milk, personally i prefer diced tomato that has been simmered down but that's probably the french training in me.

whoops, meant

mirepoix
tomato canned, fresh, paste choose one or two
minced meat
milk
salt, oregano, thyme or rosemary
simmer for a few hours

serve with some kind of cheese

forgot some kind of liquid
wine,stock,water

tomato based sauce with ground meat I guess
though I make it more 'traditional' way I guess when I do it myself, milk, wine and crushed tomatoes as the liquid, ton of reducing, no garlic, long cooking time

Olive oil, Carrot, onion, celery, tomato puree, red wine, pork mince, beef mince, bay leaf, rosemary, bit of stock

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Dirty Italian from Montreal here.

Mirepoix, beef and pork (often pancetta) cooked slowly in a tomato base with the addition of white wine and milk. Not too tomato-y though. Season with salt and fresh ground nutmeg.

beef and pork
tomato paste
tin crushed tomato
garlic onion salt pepper oregano bay leaf
red wine

i'm lazy so its also a base for shepherds pie, lasagne, nachos and leftover grilled sammiches etc. australia.

Ground beef , minced chicken livers, onions, carrots, garlic, milk, tomatoes, wine, herbs and spices, cooked long and slow, best served over papardelle imo.
t. California ( NorCal specifically)

A meat sauce made with beef that uses wine for flavor. Tastes pretty heckin good.

Ohiop

>heckin
Let's tone down the language, mister.

I never bothered to start swearing and now things like heckin have entered my vocabulary without me even realizing.

Heck.

similar:

Ground beef , minced chicken livers, onions, carrots, celery, milk, tomato, parsley, cooked long and slow.
if i feel fancy i also add wine

Germany

In the Alps its ground beef in tomato sauce, seasoning varying from chef to chef. Called pasta al ragu in Italy and Bolognaise in France/French Switzerland

I’m from Canada, and I don’t think anyone ever says ‘bolegenes’. That sounds British to me. People just say spaghetti/pasta sauce with meat.

Red sauce with beef, generally has carrots, celery, and onion cut very fine. Not sure what spices, but it often has red wine.

Georgia

Bolegenes? Bowl jeans? It's BOLOGNESE, and it's italian, not british. Fucking leafs I swear to g*d...

...for me it’s canned tomatoes, ground/fried beef or pork (or even spam), onion, garlic, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes and/or tobacco sauce.

Ground beef and pork (50/50), onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, red wine. Cook for a couple of hours, adding beef broth whenever it gets too dry. Add some milk towards the end of cooking.

Slovenia.

Though the traditional way around here seems to be to just cook ground meat in tomato sauce for ten to twenty minutes.

>fry ground beef with olive oil
>remove from pan, add chopped bacon,
minced onion and carrot
>fry until everything is golden
>add white wine, tomato paste, water, cooked ground beef, salt and pepper
>simmer for 30~40 minutes
>add herbs
>add pasta
Brazil
>uma delícia

tobacco?

Smoked brisket burned bits, tomato sauce (oregano, basil, bay leaf, parsley, black pepper, salt, pepper flakes, olive oil, garlic, pured onion, & red wine).

Texas

>bacon

>but I've never used it in pasta sauce
Gordon Ramsay uses washyoursister sauce in his Bolognese recipe.

why no crushed tomatoes?

are you Hawaiian?

slow cooked sauce made with olive oil, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, tomato, ground beef, a splash of milk.

oh, from FL

Whats the best can of tomatoes i can get in the UK from most supermarkets. Always end up just grabbing these

Sauteed mirepoix with browned minced beef and pork slowly simmered with a dash of milk and/or tomato paste and seasoned with local herbs

>greece

A sauce made with mirepoix + ground beef + tomatoes + stock + milk/cream, commonly served over tagliatelle or fettuccine, originally from the city of Bologna, Italy.
t. il Messicano

>no celery
Look at this faggot.

although it is not correct in my mind, really where i live it's ground meat or some sort-beef,deer,pork,veal or a mixture and tomato sauce. i live in baton rouge, louisiana

Red sauce with beef. Most places do it with ground beef, though some use finely chopped beef and specify the cut of meat used.
Suburb of NYC.

GOOD NEWS cigarette juice!

Blended bologne
Muskogie, Oakland

Spaghetti sauce but with milk and white wine instead of red iirc. I think there may've been another couple differences but nothing you couldn't technically put in normal spaghetto red, like bacon or carrots.

florida

Ground meat (pork) in tomato sauce (soup like), no spices, only salt and pepper. Maybe vegeta. That's how my mom makes it, i dare not to break her heart so i eat it.
Serbia (EU)

spaghetti sauce, meat n' tomatoes

Wisconsin

Ground beef/veal and ground pork
white wine
milk
tomatoes, big can of san marzano
onion, yellow
carrot
garlic (not too much)
butter

Cooked in large, cast iron pot for hours and hours.

t. america

why do so many of you faggolas add milk to your bolognese?

no seriously, I'm curious, in what way is it supposed to improve the sauce?

It gives the sauce a better finished texture.

Ground beef, onions, garlic, bouillon cube, maybe bacon, tomato sauce, salt/sugar, green bell peppers, african/wild basil.
Brazil

I don't even know what a bolognese is. Sounds like it'd have eggs/tomato in it or something. t. southerner

san marzano tomatoes, ground beef/ground pork, mire a poux(celery, onion, carrot), white wine, milk, butter, olive oil. low and slow

can any dutchfags tell me what flavor this is supposed to be, because it sure as hell aint bolognese sauce

veal + pork mince in a simple tomato sauce

>ground beef - New Zealand

Surely you mean mince? Ask for "ground beef" here and people would have to pause to think what you meant.

tomato and ground meat

Give fish sauce in tomato based pasta sauces a go

Its an Italian meat based sauce. I thought this was common knowledge. I live in British Columbia.

Okay buddy I'm American with no more than a sixth of Italian in me and I've been eating spaghetti with meat sauce since I was a child, it's a fucking staple dinner for Christ's sake. What's wrong with you?

Well this is a complicated subject matter. What complicates it is the time old argument of tradition versus time efficiency.

Traditional bolognese takes some ridiculous cook time of 8h+. Something about cooking the meat so it's tender and breaks apart; sauce comes together, yadda fucking yadda. It's tried, it's true, and it doesn't work in today's fast paced world unless you have one thing you want to do for the day... and that's make bolognese.

Bolognese is from italy. It's basically a meat ragu. Cook some meat and break it down fine, season it with some italian herbs, then add tomatoes and or tomato sauce. What's the big fucking deal?

The thing with italian cooking is every god damn family has their own 'secret' recipe for shit like this which makes it 'the best'. What this really means is... there's a general consensus of what goes into the dish as core ingredients, but outside of that the world is your god damned oyster. THIS IS FOR LITERALLY 90% OF ITALIAN DISHES. So take your meat, take your herbs, take your tomato product and just make of it whatever the fuck you want and call it a family recipe because nobody in italy really gives a shit about consistency.

San Diego, California, United States of America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.

Celery is so fucking important in Bolognese.

An Italian, meat-heavy tomato sauce tossed with the pasta instead of served on it

Pretty sure celery and carrot are used. Not sure if that's how they make it different or if it's just supposed to be more vegetables in general. Something is telling me meat is more mandatory for ragu, but I could be ass wrong.

Not a sauce, it's a ragout, fag

.. And it's not eaten with Spaghetti

t. Germoney

Just looked it up and learned something. I was wrong. Good thread, OP.

Your Bolognese is essentially a Genovese, bro

Mince with a tin of tomatoes and tomato sauce/ Worcester sauce on the cheapest pasta you can find. New Fucking Zealand.

Nah cunt, just went to the dairy and got a ground beef and cheese pie. What are you on about? The fuck is mince ?

Why do G*research have best taste itt? Hans reporting in

Tomato sauce and ground meat. Japan.
There are also delicious authentic Italian shops in Japan, but Japanese Japanese make many overseas dishes Japanese. So, there are a lot of altered Bolognese in Japan.