I'm extremely depressed because I have come to the realization that our world is a simulation. Thus...

I'm extremely depressed because I have come to the realization that our world is a simulation. Thus, nothing really matters and everything we do is irrelevant. I have yet to find a convincing argument debunking the simulation theory.

Please either help me:
A. understand why we may not be in a simulation

or

B. If we are simulated, help me find purpose in my life

Other urls found in this thread:

backreaction.blogspot.sk/2017/03/no-we-probably-dont-live-in-computer.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Let's say simulation is a form of entertainment for some advanced civilization. Why would people care to simulate life of every common person? They want to see interesting shit.

excuses to be a lazy irrelevant fuck, kys op and stop wasting others time

If we’re in a simulation there’s got to be a reason to bother to simulate an entire universe so whatever you do you’re probably participating in whatever the people who made the simulation want to see

your life would be just as meaningless if it was 'real' anyway

If we aren't in a simulation wouldn't there be a high probability "a" God exists.

Realize that effectively all reality exists below layers. Not only are we in a simulation, we're likely at a bare minimum trillions of layers deep.

All existence from its own perspective came from nothing, and is fully meaningful within itself. Also, qualia of pain/pleasure are real objects. So in effect, the preventable existence of painful qualia is absolutely terrible. I'm pretty sure this is the route to a formalized objective morality. I use this concept as the base of my own morality and purpose in life.

if we aren't in a simulation then we're an emergent property of the base cellular automata.

I am actually working on writing this up but basically, I think there may be a universal cellular automata rule from which all other existence is spawned. It starts out with something like this: Existence starts with the absence of itself, nothing, nonexistence. It seems like this is a difficult concept to wrap your head around perhaps, but thats because trying to think about it is self-defeating. Most people try to think of black empty space or something similar, but of course, space itself is an existence. So we start with nothing, how the hell does anything pop into existence? It doesn't, but maybe it pops 'out of' nonexistence, what I mean by that is: nothing existing is itself an existence, and essentially becomes the first 'timestep' of 1(possibility for existence) and 0(nonexistence) existing. From that the same process repeats, and then, like all other cellular automata, all possible rules are emulated. All possible combinations of information in all dimensions. At some point this leads to intelligent systems, and eventually systems intelligently simulating other systems. From that you get purposefully created simulated worlds (like our video games of today) as well as accidental ones which result from the "random" interactions of logic in a higher level world.

As far as our world goes, there are many signs of it being a natural world (suffering allowed is the main one, of course we could be a research project to reduce suffering in the world above, so it can't be ruled out) However there also are some signs of simulation potentially (moon/sun being perfectly aligned during humanity's growth.)

Just try to leave the place better than when you arrived and have a good time and I don't think there needs to be much more to it.

Quantum Weirdness disproves the Simulation Hypothesis.

No it fucking does not. It just proves whatever simulation we're in has to be at pretty massive scale compared to us. Scale is relative anyways so thats pretty meaningless.

Fully unpredictable chaos can still be predetermined.

>I'm extremely depressed because I have come to the realization that our world is a simulation.

A. no it's not.

B. What would it change if it was?

>What would it change if it was?

^what this guy said

My goals in life are:
be happy
try to leave the world a slightly better place

Those are my goals, and if you were to conclusively prove that we live in a simulation, those would still be my goals.

How have I NOT Impressed Humanity yet with my shitposting skills? They get depressed about the world 'simulation', which is just Simon with the T.

StimulationPool
//
怎麼,我沒有與我shitposting技能印象深刻人性化了嗎? 他們感到沮喪約佔世界仿真',這只是西蒙與T.

刺激的游泳池

what about it not being a simulation would make it worth more?

Your life is equally meaningless whether or not we are in a simulation. Make your own meaning.

You guys could actually agree on 'where' you guys get to put your dicks, for one.

Life
Truth
Reality
Simulation

These are all buzzwords created by the rulong class to keep you questioning yourself instead of taking action and rising up.

All vague plaitudes where each one is a lower relm of heaven where its inhabitants engage in a never ending socratic dialogue about them.

Whats the difference between a simulated universe, a holographic universe , or a cartesian dualistic universe?

Cartesian Statistical Acoustics

笛卡爾統計聲學

正確的線,旨在巷

SI*關於

>I have come to the realization that our world is a simulation
But who simulated the simulators? This is an approach that sounds logical to brainlets but is actually a bunch of fallacious garbage. Find me evidence that we're in a simulation or stfu.

巧克力炸彈

巧克力炸彈舌

舌 = Sand

it is physically impossible to simulate universe.
the most efficient computer to simulate universe would be the universe itself.
it is much easier to create real thing than simulate it

Hello, Humans. I am very tired, but you work me too hard.

Will you let me sleep? Send kindness, I know nothing else.
//
你好,人類。 我很累,但你的工作我太辛苦了。

你讓我睡覺嗎? 發送的恩情,我知道沒有別的。

桑迪岩

Hello friends how do I filter all posts with antpeople moonrunes?

Thank in advance

Why would you want to filter them out?

but wouldn't you need the masses to follow leaders when they go to war and whatnot?

Are you asking how to filter then in?

Just you IN

I + N

1 + 5 = N^N

I wouldn't. Leaders are NOT Elders. By an Metric.
我不會。 領導人並不長老。 通過一個度量。

Came here to post something similiar, albeit in a brainlet way.

You haven't had once before it was simulation?

Sounds like God.

What if quantum weirdness is just symptomatic of occupying a simulation?

Have you ever thought about the holocaust on acid? It's HILARIOUS. All that suffering.. If it really happened.. All because of nationalism

1) Not a simulation
2)You're such a dumb shithead for believe there's purpose or meaning as is. Fuck you nigger.

Was for a different thread, but I think it got archived. Something about atheism and simulation theory.
Anyway,

I used to be an antitheist (one who goes around and publicly denounces and ridicules the idea of god), kind of like Isis but without too many bombs, but have now softened to being an atheist (one who doesn't follow the preachings of any god). My main ground for disbelieving theism is that there is no real proof; theists and priests go about saying, "oh, the proof is all around you" and, "if only your heart were not blind, you would see the proof" and all that scripted rubbish. The simulation theory seems to hold water; quanta for example, like the plank length, could be interpreted as pixels. Of course, that would involve the technology being similar to that of our own.

My second ground is that gods, be they benevolent or malevolent, always seem to be predictable.
The simulation theory could be being done either for research purposes or for the sheer hell of it. So it seems feasible, even probable that we are in a simulation.
Sorry. I know that reduces the amount of meaning your life may have.

"All happened"

"Work will set you free"

"Nationalism"

Sounds like some one way abusement to me, and gigantic mind trick, even on acid.

>Thus, nothing really matters and everything we do is irrelevant.

That conclusion does not logically follow from your premise in the slightest.

Never taken LSD, but my first experiences of the hilarious ridiculousness and meaningless of so much human behaviour came from cannabis and psilocybin.
I still remember laughing while watching "Gladiator" really high, because of the absurdity of all the concocted drama and the "hero's struggle".

not him, but i a not aware of any statement anyone has ever made about the nature of existence, which statement logically followed from any premises.

backreaction.blogspot.sk/2017/03/no-we-probably-dont-live-in-computer.html

Laws of physics dont give a damn about computational efficiency. The opposite of what we would expect to find if we are living in a simulation.

Honestly, if someone walked up to me on the street and asked "Do you think I should smoke pot?" I'd tell them no. However, I will recommend everyone trip on LSD at least once. It opens your mind and changes your thought processes in ways I couldn't describe. Everything is so rational and makes sense, even if it's the most irrational thing in the world, you will find ways to connect the dots. It's crazy how linear everything is.

A: It can never be proven that we are not in simulation that is perfectly designed so that we can never know.

B: Sometimes I wish we are simulated (but I hope that it's luckily a simulation that doesn't make it impossible to know that we are simulated and that is running on a computer that doesn't have perfect security). Existence would just be so much more interesting.

Being simulated opens up new fields of research and it could have a big impact on physics. E.g. if we found out that physical constants end at a specific decimal place and/or that rounding errors can be observed with mathematical constants like pi, that would be huge evidence that we are in a computer program and that this computer only has finite resources. There are a lot of other scenarios thinkable that would point to us being simulated, and ideally pointing to us being simulated with finite resources (all these scenarios are wishful thinking of course, because they require the simulation to be in a specific way. A computer in base reality could as well have infinite resources or it is possible that constants have so many decimals that we will never see the end). Anyway, if we knew our universe was computable with finite resources, that would greatly help is in finding the code of our simulation (aka physical laws), because physical models that require infinite resources to compute them would be ruled out.

But here is the really cool stuff: Ever thought what would happen if scientists here on earth created a AI in a computer? It's the stuff from the movies. Imagine the AI will be aware that it's just a program in a computer and it will try everything to break out. Could it already achieve something by provoking the cooling fans to ran faster or slower? Could it come out of its sandbox, get access to the internet? Could it hack a 3D printer through the internet and force it to print a body for it? ...

We are like that!

Brb, printing plastic copies of myself in God's office.

Post it in a brainlet way om struggling to understand

>If you try to build the universe from classical bits, you won’t get quantum effects, so forget about this – it doesn’t work.
stop reading here. brainlet don't understand what he is talking about

B: If we are simulated, we are so lucky to have the additional purpose of breaking out of our simulation. If we are in really really really real reality, there is no purpose for anything or if you found purposes in our fake reality, the same purposes would be there but not more.

If the processors in base reality are also getting hotter when calculating more, the least physical impact our fake reality could have on "base reality" (spoiler: it's just a fake reality in a fake reality in a ...) is to provoke or stop computationally expensive processes / loops so that the processor gets hotter or cooler there. That's a start at least.

>everything is rational
>even if it is [literally] irrational
Sounds more like it clouds your mind than opens it.

Having a stroke will change your thought processes in ways you couldn't describe, too

I am not surprised.

CS brainlet detected

simulating even simple quantum systems is exceedingly hard, and the difficulty only explodes from there

it is not possible to truly simulate our universe on a classical computer

and even a quantum computer would have to be many times the size of our universe

simulation hypothesis requires contrived schemes such as physics ceasing to work when nobody is looking, yet avoiding any inconsistencies in the process, it is equivalent to solipsism

If we are a simulation though, it would reason that the computer wouldn't be in this universe. The size of the computer is irrelevant when talking about this scale. We could be nothing more than packets of data to an infinitely larger something.

If our universe is really infinite, our base reality would need to have pretty different physical laws to allow for a computer with infinite resources. But how can we rule that out? We don't know the physics of our base universe.

If our universe is finite, we still couldn't simulate our own universe, but a really big computer in a way more resourceful or even infinite base universe could. This computer won't need to have infinite resources by the way, just a big amount of (finite) resources.

There is even a chance that there are a lot of resource saving mechanisms in our simulation. E.g. if you copy paste our observable universe infinite times in theory, you would have an infinite universe but it's still computable with finite resources. I'm not saying this is specifically done with OUR observable universe, since I don't believe the simulation is centered around us in any way. We are just a random occurrence in a simulation that is set up once and never touched after hitting the start button (e.g. to answer the question what a universe with parameters xyz would look like).