Winter/Cozy Food thread

What do you cook when the temperature starts dropping?

Leftover chili right now, but I'm looking for some ideas from the rest of you guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

innatthecrossroads.com/tag/mulled-wine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>beans
That's not chili, m8

im poor so i make the same thing year round
cabbage, onion, potato, bean, spaghetti soup. its much more satisfying in the winter because its warm. i also put different spices in there during the winter i guess

I cook up a batch of potato and bacon soup, cause I'm poor, can store it in bulk, as it's fucking delicious

I'm not from Texas, m8

I can tell since you don't know how to make chili, m8

Not OP but the fuck you got against beans? Fuckin idiots thinking that the only real chili is their generic spiced meat slop.

Meat stews and meat with pan gravies, mostly. Basically, what northern European cultures eat pretty much all the time.

It's not quite cold enough where I am for that sort of thing, but I'm already excited to whip up my first pea soup of the season.

Muh recipe:

Cold-smoked bacon, streaky type, chopped, 100g
Onion, chopped, 1 large
Dry green peas, split, 250g
Smoked ham bone/s, 250ish g
Veg stock, 500ml
Stewing carrots, peeled and cut into half-moons, about 200g
Stewing potatoes, peeled and cut into quarter-or-half-moons, about 200g
Veg celery, sliced, 100g
Smoked sausage, cut into rounds or half-moons, about 200g

In a pressure pot, cook bacon at low heat until it renders as much fat as it can then up the heat to crisp the pieces; remove solids and set aside.
Add onion and salt generously; cook to translucent.
Add peas, ham bone/s and veg stock and lid the pot.
Cook at high pressure 30 minutes then allow to depressurise on its own.
>because pressure pots don't "boil" with all the motion as normal cooking does, most of the peas will not have broken down so you're gonna have to...
Remove the ham bones and blitz the peas smooth. Stick blender is the easiest way to do this.
Strip bones of their meat, if any is present; discard bones and cartilage and reserve meat.
Add carrot and cook a few minutes.
Add potato and cook a few minutes.
Add celery and cook a few minutes.
Add sausage pieces (also stripped ham, if you have any), lid the pot and off the heat to let finish the veg through and bring the meat/s to temp; meanwhile, tidy up after yourself.
Bowl up the soup and top with the bacon bits from earlier. Also crispy onion, if you have any.

Also looking forward to making pork and paprika stew. Why is pork stock just not common in most of EU and unheard of in US?

So what do rednecks put in their chili if there's no beans? Is it just tomatoes and meat? That's fucking boring.

Everyone always goes for the one-pot meals, like chili, soups, chicken and dumplings, etc. Don't get me wrong, those are great, love them, but I also really like the slightly more composed meals. Like braised beef shanks with potatoes and red cabbage, porchetta with cheese polenta and arugula salad, roasted chicken and vegetables, homemade yeast breads with homemade apple butter, braised lamb shanks with basmati rice, coq au vin......etc.

Just from your post, I KNOW you make really shitty chili.

You could've just said "Yes, our chili is just spiced tomato paste and meat", Cleetus.

*punches you*
BACK THE FUCK OFF, OK!?!

potato bacon chowda

fry 1lb minced bacon.
add 3 sliced leeks
add flour
add that to 3lb potato cooked in chicken broth
i like to puree half of the potatoes before this
stir to combine.
add pepper?

that's about all you need. chicken broth and bacon is salty enough. comfy winter food.

add milk for creaminess when pureeing those potatoes. or buttermilk for creaminess and tang

This but add diced ham and milk or cream and make ham chowder.

6 Ancho Chilies
4 Guajillo
4 Japones
4 Arbol

4 cups beef broth

Diced large white onion
4 cloves of garlic diced

1 tsp of
Salt

2 tsp
Cumin
Oregano
Dark chocolate powder

2 Bay leaves

Roast and puree the chilis
Blend with 4 cups broth
Add everything else save the bay leafs
Pour into pot and add bayleaf
Simmer for an hour

Add 1 inch cubed beef into it until it is tender

Creamy tomato soup with a decadent grilled cheese curled up next to the fire sounds nice. Maybe a double strength hot toddy or buttered rum after.

I like to make a "whatever the fuck I have in the kitchen" soup. Usually it goes like this:
-Sautee an onion and some garlic in a sauce pot
- If I have a fresh carrot or some celery I throw that in the pot too (or any fresh vegetable, whatever)
- add a can or box of broth, or some water and a bouillon cube
- add a bay leaf and boil
- when its boiling throw in any frozen peas or broccoli or corn or all of it or none of it or whatever frozen vegetable that isn't gross in soup
- then throw a can of black beans/lentils or cooked pasta or both if you're fat
- add spinach or some dark leafy vegetable

thats the soup idk

Oh and add a can of tomatoes if you have that because its better that way

Bread bowls!

*teleports behind you"

psh, nothing personnel kid

hot wine or mead

>Live pretty much in Portland OR
>News is already talking about there being a strong chance of another 'snowpocalypse' like this last winter
>mfw I'll get to revel in proper snow and the languished cries of ill prepared hipsters again
I made a batch of split pea soup earlier in the week, I prefer to use a smoked turkey leg in place of a ham hock cuz it always turns out overly salty to my taste when I use a hock. Next time I cook up a ham I'll save the bone and throw it on in there.

For drinks I like to have a glass of cider with a splash of butterscotch schnapps, just enough to add flavor rather than aiming to get drunk off it. Gonna try my hand at mulled wine this year, using the 'southron' version at the bottom of the page. Sounds like a delight.

innatthecrossroads.com/tag/mulled-wine/

Oh sweatie...

>beans
>not chili

this is Veeky Forums not /tv/

>sweatie