What does Veeky Forums think of this and ellis' other works?

what does Veeky Forums think of this and ellis' other works?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=56h96nFN8_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I liked it but it's not as phenomenal as some people make it out to be. Ellis effectively evokes the superficial detail that reflects the superficial personalities that populated yuppie culture, but sometimes his continuity is off (early in the book he mentions the brand of someone's tie and then a few paragraphs later he mentions it's a different brand being worn by the same character - all the name-dropping of brands and costume details probably made it a difficult book to edit/check for continuity).

The shock value - a main reason why a lot of people read the book - is disturbing at times but it gets excessive and almost ridiculous. I'm sure that's somewhat intentional but it feels like it lowers the quality of the book at times.

It's alright, I guess. Legitimately overrated though.

>but sometimes his continuity is off
Would be interesting to ask him about that but if the whole premise of the book is an unreliable narrator, it might have been intentional.

the 50 shades of grey form men and of the 90s

This image looks like Frasier and Niles combined.

Fair point.

Not sure if I'd agree. There's explicit moments in the book, especially regarding Bateman's intentions/perverse ideas, but the book does offer a genuine social commentary and satire (albeit, it's not perfect, but it's there) which is certainly more substantial than 50 Shades of Grey.

I hated it. The characters were bland and vapid(and I don't care if Ellis did that intentionally), there was gore for gore's sake, a slow plot, no message. If this was a social commentary, there could be infinite ways in which it could have been executed better.

And Fuck all those references to suits and cards and shoes and ties.

>And Fuck all those references to suits and cards and shoes and ties.
I didn't get it: the review

I think AP is still his best. Another Night is one of my most favourite chapters.

I liked less than zero. Some parts felt over the top just to try to shock you. Overall I thought it was wroth a read. I am a big fan of those types of books though.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I loved it. One of the more entertaining books.

anybody else listen to the BEE pod? Bret is pretty autistic (in a good way) and his guests are usually very interesting

I though the film was excellent

whoa I didn't know the dubs guy had book!

Also Check'em

I thought the film was a label for anyone who watched the whole movie, is the book like that?

Also, checksum

I found it riotously hilarious and one of the worthiest works of the modern age. Ellis's other works kind of suck, but American Psycho is his god-sent fluke, where he so vividly captures its essential something. It is a triumph of modern literature.
I distinctly recall trying to read it on a train once and bursting out laughing when Bateman describes mistaking (I think) Luis's head for a vagina. The tone and aesthetic is masterful and very fucking funny. I never tried to read it in public since.

AP is a great book, but it's not a classic and I doubt most people will remember it in 30 or 40 years' time. The gore can get mentally exhausting, and the repetitive descriptions of suits, brands, social etiquette are tiring, but it does serve what appears to be the point of the book: a bleak portrait of a man who has gone batshit crazy to the point where he is simply a conduit for memes and repulsive desires, and is unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality. And it's unclear if the people he knows have the same mindset. AP is overrated by its fans (the majority of whomever just seem to like the gore because it's "transgressive"), but it's worth reading.

The movie is great, it's more of a black comedy and character study of a particularly vain and consumerist guy. Which isn't bad, in fact I think that's part of what makes it a successful adaptation, it would be very difficult to translate the bleakness, loss of sanity, lack of certainty of the book to film.

I think that the movie is better.

It's phenomenal in terms of accurately defining the sense of reality in a certain institutional setting. Considering Ellis has never worked on Wall St., his book really does capture a perception of reality for a part of the people experiencing it.

he is pretty thoughtless i think. read less than zero at about 19 and realized it wasnt much. i doubt anyone can defend him, shame because most published authors have some credibility

So... was Bateman just a closet homo?

He got a boner looking at Bono.

I think American Psycho is great, but the best thing BEE has ever done is this interview, where Chris Morris goes way over his head

m.youtube.com/watch?v=56h96nFN8_g