Be told Hemingway sucks and is overacted for my whole university

>be told Hemingway sucks and is overacted for my whole university
>everyone on the internet says Hemingway sucks
>"less is less" "terrible female characters" "macho posturing"
> start reading Carver, Beattie, Richard Ford, and the other people edited by Lish
> realize they are all a bit like Hemingway stories I read in university
> go back and start reading Hemingway
> read In Our Time, major novels
> prose is totally free of lyrical look at me bullshit I see everywhere, no spending 1 page describing outfits, just straight to the story. Just writes what he wants to tell you about with room for interpretation instead of hand-holding.
> realize that Lish crowd are extensions of Hemingway into contemporary life
>realize B.E.E is Hemingway for yuppies.
> realize all of flash fiction is aping early Hemingway
> realize George Saunders is an extension of Hemingway's dislike of phoniness into humor and corporate culture
> Tons of early metafiction is a reaction against Hemingway
> Realize Hemingway is rarely posturing, often has weak male characters trying to overcome their weakness, a lot of the typical male interest is just a rural upbringing and the 'posturing' accusation is urban snobbery
> Hemingway grasps how women are both wonderful (Something Comes to an End, For Whom The Bell Tolls) and terrible ( Sun Also Rises, Short and Happy Life of Francis Macomber)
> a lot of the "terrible women characters..." is just Hemingway being honest about how awful people are and how temporary things are
>realize Hemingway is actually great

>Actually listening to the opinion of a board full of redditors, /pol/e smokers, pseudo-intellectual 17 year olds who didn't start with the greeks, philosophy-cucks, and wanna be cultural elitists without the actual I.Q to establish a bed of elitism.

>Actually going to college

Nice.

DeLillo and McCarthy too

How big do you think Hemingway's shits were?

too green

I like Hemingway a lot (eventhough I despise TSAR).
The only thing that makes it sometimes ahrd to stomach is the dialogue he creates.
Best example to me is always Island in the Sream;
Thomas Hudson and prety much everyone but especially his children
It seems so much like an old guys fetish dreams of the perfect old artistic macho man and his incredibly well raised loving children.
Made me near puke at times.
7/10

has anyone fucked with his non-fiction? any good?

Nah, he's actually shit

>be a fucking idiot
>people tell you that Hemingway is for idiots
>read Hemingway
>enjoy it

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

>who didn't start with the greeks
OK I am sick of this?
Did you faggots not have to read all the greek classics in middle and early High School.
It was pushed down our throats practically with other ancient epics and Shakespear soon to follow.

where can i find more elitists irl. nyc is so incredibly middlebrow at this point. some boston suburb i dont know about?

Good post.

Hemingway paradoxically gets underrated by having been so overrated and then a backlash being caused by this.

Just find people who went to international schools. Just shit like Marymount schools, NATO bases, european schools in foreign countries, normal Internation schools (ISB, ISM, ...)
Usually these people are rich and even if they didn't enjoy it they were forced to become well educated.

He's great. Joyce was a big fan of his works.

I got that one called fourty nine stories or something, a lot of great bits in that.
From Ten Indians -
>Nick went into his room, undressed, and got into bed. He heard his father moving around in the living room. Nick lay in the bed with his face in the pillow.

“My heart’s broken,” he thought. “If I feel this way my heart must be broken.”

After a while he heard his father blow out the lamp and go into his own room. He heard a wind come up in the trees outside and felt it come in cool through the screen. He lay for a long time with his face in the pillow, and after a while he forgot to think about Prudence and finally he went to sleep. When he awoke in the night he heard the wind in the hemlock trees outside the cottage and the waves of the lake coming in on the shore, and he went back to sleep. In the morning there was a big wind blowing and the waves were running high up on the beach and he was awake a long time before he remembered that his heart was broken.

good post

user the spacebar is in the bottom middle of the keyboard, not the middle of the right side.

the rich people who dont enjoy it become culture vultures like anyone else, they just do it at fancier places. they go to black tie parties for yuppies because it's art!, but theyre not elitist in the sense of harold bloom. like theyd go to a banksy show and discuss choate lacrosse. maybe europeans are different, but the ones in ny are mostly nouveau riche fags who like to get bottle service etc.

maybe dc has an embassy scene

I have only met Americans who lived in Europe and became very european even military members who meren't mormon at least.
Idk how it is in America though. Could very well be the way you explained it.

where in europe are you

Switzerland-> Frankfurt-> Munich, Paris, London, Brussels, Munich again.

Yep.

I forgot
>also has tons of great extended descriptions despite being claimed as stripped down, descriptions just aren't jammed full of metaphors and are used only when appropriate.

>Dubs says I out the kike butthurt about how Robert Cohn is depicted in The Sun Also Rises.

A moveable feast is great. Some his best.

I actually looked at my copy of "The old man and the sea" today and realized how much I enjoyed it.

Nice circular argument, faggot.

'Do many men kill themselves, Daddy?'

'Not very many, Nick.'

'Do many women?'

'Hardly ever.'

'Don't they ever?'

'Oh, yes. They do sometimes.'

'Daddy?'

'Yes.'

'Where did Uncle George go?'

'He'll turn up all right.'

'Is dying hard, Daddy?'

'No, I think it's pretty easy, Nick. It all depends.'

They were seated in the boat, Nick in the stern, his father rowing. The sun was coming up over the hills. A bass jumped, making a circle in the water. Nick trailed his hand
in the water. It felt warm in the sharp chill of the morning.

In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with his father rowing, he felt quite sure that he would never die.