I've just read an incredible article where "The Handmaid's Tale", a sub-par piece of science-fi trash...

>I've just read an incredible article where "The Handmaid's Tale", a sub-par piece of science-fi trash, is defended by its author. The author, who rightly should be apologizing for her execrable prose, not only defends it but calls it "timely". The book has been made in to some sort of cable mini-series. I'm Canadian, so had to suffer through this book as a young person. It's one of those cheap, dystopian tracts. The difference with this one is it has a deeply paranoid feminist look into the future. The story is as impossible as most of these " frightening looks into the future". But to call it timely, when the possibility of this fiction ever becoming fact even more of a joke, is just a cynical cash-grab.
>One might not like the premise, the meandering non-plot, the ugly themes, the subliterate dialogue and the dull fillibustering.
>I would say "unpublishable" would describe her style.
>I don’t hate Margaret Atwood. I hate bad writing. It isn’t her fault and I’d never have anything but pity for the talentless. But the Canadian school system makes you read her.
>It is nauseating to consider that through shameless self-promotion someone like Margaret Atwood could care consider herself Munro’s peer. Unlike Munro, Margaret Atwood is incapable of writing a novel, yet churns out chum at an alarming rate. Munro is the greatest writer Canada has ever produced but feels herself incapable of writing a novel. On the flip side sits Margaret Atwood.
>What do I care if it's well-regarded. I have eyes to read. Everyone but me is welcome to love it. But I am right. Content-free.

Margaret Atwood completely and unequivocally blown the fuck out.

Other urls found in this thread:

newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/04/why-handmaids-tale-claimed-feminist-when-its-deeply-ambivalent-about
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who cares

Is that Normie?

Hulu and every high school in Canada that makes you read it?

did you greentext yourself you fuck? and provide your own words as evidence that a published author has been 'blown the fuck out'?

Also, that cover art is cool.

when has munro ever written a novel? short story writing is not the same

His book was a a best-seller, too.

That guy sounds hot.

The only reason to post on Veeky Forums instead of Reddit is that you can make your words green.

>Munro is the greatest writer Canada has ever produced but feels herself incapable of writing a novel.

That's what he just said.

You have to go back.

Don't defend her. The book is trash.

People just want to compare everything to Trump. It's fucking absurd. It's absurd to compare a dystopian novel with an comic book premise and depth with the President of the United States just because you don't like him.

Trump doesn't want to fucking farm women for babies. Nobody under oath would say they believe the comparisons are valid without committing perjury.

>hulu
>canada
so irrelevant fart smellers?

How is a $10 million dollar television show "irrelevant?" There's been dozens of articles about this piece of shit book over the past week alone, comparing it to Trump. It's fucking retarded and you know it.

Don't be intentionally daft.

its not neflix bud, seems like you are butthurt because no everyone is sucking drumpf dick like yourself

I'm not a Trump supporter, I just hate bad writing, which is what Handmaid's Tale is.

who give une heck

Everyone who's watching the TV show? I dunno, what am I, the Nielson company?

Why don't you satisfy your curiosity and Google it if you seriously want to know.

because you are the one buttblasted about

What do you mean?

When leftist talking heads make retarded claims about a dystopian future it is called timely by the media but if righty talking heads do the same retarded shit it is called fear mongering

who are you quoting?

STFU gaylord omfg >______

What is the tangible distinction between novel and her short story cycles like Who Do You Think You Are and Lives of Girls and Women, which are about one character and all connect and follow chronologically?

Atwood's prose is fine for genre fic, but that's all it is. Her best work is actually a non fiction book called Survival, about Canadian literature.

unironically this

>America does not have a fundamentalist authoritarian evangelical Christian political bloc
Top kek OP

>america is not a complete and utter judaeo-oligarch hellhole who'd sell your unborn child a pair of jordans and the means to its own abortion if they could
whoa lol dude

You are mentally deficient OP, nearly everything portrayed in the novel exists in some form today on Earth.

Oztia tio joder!

It was written in the 80s you tit.

Honestly having jordans sounds so much better then a kid. I would honestly make this trade

Including the part where women can't have babies?

why doesn't Veeky Forums like the handmaids tale?

desu, before the show it was regularly listed in

>name one good female author
>pro-tip, you cant

threads. What is awful is the trump comparisons all over the place. Because an amoral businessman is going to build a sincere theocracy.

She talentless and she's only pushed on school kids because of the Federal government's regulations that requite a certain percentage of English literature to be Canadian.

Yes.

yes, take Houllebecq for instance and Submission i havent read it but looking at the sypnosis they are the same?

Yes

I hate the book for a specific passage where offered and a friend of hers pass by some guards, she has a mental monologue where she notes that she shakes her hips as she walks in order to tease one of the guards, how she relishes the knowledge that she has some small amount of power and how he won't be able to "relive stress" because she belongs to another man or with another man. God that passage made my blood boil because it reminds me how rotten women really are

Basement dweller detected.

>caring about random articles written by starving millennial hack journalists
Peter, get off the Internet

There are countries where religious groups oppose in vitro fertilization for the women that can't conceive otherwise.

Also, you are really stupid if you thought that bringing up a clearly sci-fi element of the novel was a good idea.

Jamal, pls go and stay go

That guy sounds hot.

Just read it. My God, everyone presents it as a masterpiece but it's less than mediocre. I'd have said a 20 year old gender studies kid wrote it.

The prose is dull, the characters are bidimensional, the plot is boring, the style is dreadfully slow, and the premises are so exaggerated they're ridiculous. The feminist overtones are so over the top they're comical.

People calling it a masterpiece (or worse, a look into a possible future), are brain dead.

No.
Differences:

1) Submission is good.

2) The islamic takeover imagined is a demographic certain instead of a paranoid, sexist fantasy: just look at the population projections for France.

3) Houllebecq actually imagines the most benign, most moderate sort of islamization, he doesn't exaggerate men's sexism to the point of ridicule just to make men the villains and women the poor victims.

Yes. In muslim societies. But Atwood would never have the balls to point that out. Instead, like any other """feminist""", she blames the White Man for everything while bending over for the muslims.

My girlfriend liked it so I read it.

It was like a 6/10 to me, and kinda forgettable. I did think the idea of a militant christian group taking over part of the country was pretty interesting.

I watched the first episode of the show and realized I did not really care about it enough to keep watching. The book/show don't have too many fresh concepts in them

it's a Norm Macdonald tweet

It's a decent piece of work, I guess it has about as much depth as animal farm. I prefer it to her later works because she doesn't really go into the world building thing for it, and that's a place where she sucks at writing. It felt concise, expressing a simple idea. God knows how they're going to stretch out that material for a TV show.

reread that mans comment. he's saying that people are comparing the book to trump, not that it was written about trump. reading comprehension isn't required on the internet but it helps.

Maybe conservatives should have actually tried media then? Maybe they shouldn't call journalism degrees shit? Most of the conservative sites write dumbed down and accusatory shit. At least the liberals can be objective sometimes.

Compare a CNN and Brietbart article, on the same subject. Tell me which one is quality. Ignore your bias.

It's called the Catholic Church and it's not a "there are countries", it's almost every country out there.
And they aren't wrong of course.

The liberal equivalent of Breitbart would be Salon or The Bustle. The "mainstream" conservative news site is National Review.

I don't think liberals are any better at being objective than conservatives. You just happen to agree with them more, and since you consider yourself a rational, intelligent, person of course you think the people you agree with are being "objective." That's the funny thing about politics, everyone thinks their side is just being realistic and rational and objective while the other side is composed of idiots and opportunists.

>National Review
>Compares to CNN

Even Salon with it's hypocrisy and utter shit manages to write an article superior to breitbart. Probably because the weak little people who read it don't have to be talked down to.

I know that all media outlets are biased. CNN is not as biased as people think, they report on any story. The problem though, is that our popular culture is very left, and if a black man being shot by the police ignites the people, they will show that instead of a black gang rape story. It's despicable, but not as much as using your news site to try and get people to vote for Trump.

Objectively, media needs to return to neutrality.

I also am a centrist, and you don't need to type out the memes, because I've heard them.

Centrist doesn't mean Im smarter for picking a side, it means that I like a little of what both sides are offering, and I think we need to return to the middle.

Cnn is the most middle, but it's getting worse now that our president is calling the media the enemy of the people.

No, not only in the muslim societies.

Yeah it's so shocking how the media think it's more important to widely report on it when policemen kill people than when criminals do it.

We are forced to read The Handmaid's Tale in the UK as part of dystopian literature for A Level English and it made me want to hang myself that my teacher believed it was an accurate prediction of the future

>the staple sci-fi piece is not literary in any way
Wew. What next? Le ebin BTFOing of Foundation Trilogy and Animal Farm? Scathing critique of Huxley and Clarke's prose? It's fucking sci-fi - literary qualities are the least of its concerns.

Unsurprising that this verbal diarrhea is coming now after the series from a literally who and gladly consumed by local contrarian autismos with guttural REEing about "le normies".

>t. Margaret Atwood

Handmaid's Tale is legitimately shit, but it's not shit 'cause it's dystopian.

It's also not the worst book they push on you in secondary school, not by a loooong way.
>who is Wolfe

TL:DR:
>book is a relatively meh/OK semi-feminist sci-fi dystopia
>gets popular with a hyped TV adaptation because of the combination of the mainstreaming of feminism-lite by the liberal left, and Trump happening
>people who like to be contrarian go REEE because 1. like a lot of media, it doesn't necessarily deserve its popularity, 2. men are so fragile they get triggered even by the feminism-lite of mainstream media

I mean it's not even a proper feminist work you know.
newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/04/why-handmaids-tale-claimed-feminist-when-its-deeply-ambivalent-about

>criminal violently resits arrest
>gets shot

OMG, what a tragedy! The police should never ever be allowed to defend themselves, because white people being alive is an affront to diversity!

It's shit and you're shit as well, shitfag.

1/10

Shitposting is a lost art. There's no innovation anymore.

Normal police do fine without guns. Why are Americans too scared to accept that, if they chose to do a dangerous job, maybe they're gonna be in danger?

>gratuitous greentext

>The islamic takeover imagined is a demographic certain

One of the best ways to troll innovatively on Veeky Forums is to support (radical) feminism.

Unironically.

Did it for two years or so on /a/, and derailing threads was just too fucking easy. People get pissed off like they do from nothing else.

Norm MacDonald

Orwell is rolling in his grave

Pls get off Veeky Forums

What about that unarmed British "copper" who got knifed to death? He didn't do fine. Only an idiot would argue that accepting a dangerous job means that you aren't allowed to take precautions to make that job safer. Are all Europeans this stupid?

it triggers the trannies

>Are all Europeans this stupid?
What a stupid question. Are all Americans this stupid?