General AI is such a meme. What we are doing in machine learning has as much to do with general AI...

General AI is such a meme. What we are doing in machine learning has as much to do with general AI, as landing on the moon has with creating wormhole portals to other dimensions. When will this meme stop?

>When will this meme stop?
It's not a meme though. Are you even spending time in the conference proceedings for the major conferences? The world will be very different than it is now in less than 10 years.

cite sources

cite sources

what he said.
having read papers on connectionist networs, i think OP has a point to some extent.
but i'm really curious to understand why he may be right or wrong.

... Like it's always been
Just not as radical as singularity fags tend to believe.

General ai is a goal oriented algorithm that can get from a to b by whatever means it sees fit.
Machine learning is task oriented.

At this point, ai is a misnomer, like organic food, and global warming.

See:
Dumbass popsci fags are just hyping this up just like they hyped up the flying car.

>Dumbass popsci fags are just hyping this up just like they hyped up the flying car.
Not really. If you're a incel then yeah it will never happen, but for many white collar and some blue collar jobs, then the possibility of you being replaced is pretty real.

The problem remains that the barrier to entry for many to work in this field is pretty high. AMA about these requirements if you're curious. Popsci and Forbes etal make it seem easier than it is.

Maybe I should make a thread someday full of ORIGINAL sources, and hopefully it becomes a copypasta.

Wish you well.

you don't need AGI to make the world a very different place. If we can get autonomous cars to work and solve robot grasping, the world will be a very different place.

what's the difference between task oriented algorithms and goal oriented algorithms?

>orienting your AI to a goal
>he doesnt know novelty search

You are like a baby

I'd like to know where the fuel to charge Terminator's batteries is going to come from once the oil starts to run out.

>he fell for the peak oil meme

You know something the geologists don't?

In what terms do you claim processing power is limited?
Energy? Our solar system has absurd amounts of wasted energy.
Material? Our solar system has absurd amounts of unused material.

What else is there? Limits on complexity of designs due to inability to make things parallel or problems from latency in large processors?

Every year we extract more oil than the year before, according to "geologists" in the past when they were shilling the peak oil meme, they said we already would be in peak oil but thats just not the case.

>Energy? Our solar system has absurd amounts of wasted energy.
You still have to find a way to harvest it; at some point you will spend more energy to harvest it than you will ever receive from it.
>Material? Our solar system has absurd amounts of unused material.
If against all odds you manage to get there, you have to still extract it.

What about muh dyson swarm?
Also I don't suspect space mining will prove impossible. I don't really think we can know how the logistics of extracting and off-worlding materials would go though. For Earth, Venus, Mars, etc I imagine a space elevator or better could make it work. Off-worlding material from moons and asteroids should be even easier.

I'm not saying we're at peak oil yet nor are all geologists, but oil is a finite resource. Pic is estimated oil reserves left in the world; we have extracted over half of the easily extractable oil (the type where you drill a hole and pressure pumps it out). The fact that we are turning to tar sands, which would have been unprofitable less than two decades ago, is evidence that we are at or around that peak.

We're decades from being able to put boots on another planet, but you think the technology you listed is around the corner?

I'm talking asymptotics

Nice big N you got got there. I would would hate to see what happens when it becomes small n

you're the chucklefuck who put a limit in his figure

>t. p