3600 pages

>3600 pages

Is this nigger serious? I ain't reading this shit.

I genuinely don't get how serious is Alan Moore trying to be.
I mean, he's clearly not a dummy, and from his interviews he seems pretty insightful and down to heart, and then he proceeds to release these books. Does he want them to be taken seriously? Are these just a game for him? Is he writing these because there are some people who will buy them? Is he a actual schizo?

I guess we won't ever know.

what the fuck? why does any other novelist release books? he enjoys writing and feels like he has something to say, which is likely the same motivation behind his comic book work.

Man has been in a magical war with Grant Morrison for 10 or 20 years, he is off his rocker.

It will genuinely be considered a postmodernist classic in 50 years time.

>take... seriously
is a sign that you shouldn't heed whatever the person said. Apply this rule and you will waste less of your lifetime.

You're not talking about a generic novelist: you're talking about a guy who only releases extremely long, abstruse, borderline incomprehensible books.

If you're book is 3600 pages long, or if every word in your book has to be dissected and analyzed, then I must assume that you really have something to say: too bad that this is not what you find out when reading his books.

They take tenths if not hundreds of hours to be read, and they're mostly... eh, nothing special.
He's no Proust, and I'm sure he's fully aware of it: then why os he still willing to waste so much of his reader's time? It's almost immoral.

>you're talking about a guy who only releases extremely long, abstruse, borderline incomprehensible books.
literally not true. in addition to pic, he's written several short stories, and several dozen comics. his entire writing career thus far has culminated in his 'extremely long, abstruse, borderline incomprehensible' work.

Ego building? I actually don't know much about him I tried to watch a video of his and it seemed long winded and boring. I don't see what he could offer that someone like Mckenna hasn't already delivered in a much more succinct way.

It's not 3,600 pages, it's 1000, stop being so damn lazy. It's not borderline incomprehensible, it's actually really accessible with parts that are written in colloquial vernacular, chapters, sometimes only certain characters. It adds texture. Why not fo it that way? He has various views of the town it's people and culture and giving it enough room by starting from hundeds of years back and using fantasy in a way that's not Brandon Sanderson levels of manchildishness.

Zettels Traum and Finnegans Wake are way more dense and incomprehensible.

At least Schmidt and Joyce gave us some proofs of their genius before starting writing those books.

With Alan Moore you're in the dark, and have to spend weeks reading his books, while still not knowing if he is a hack that is making shit up on the spot, a schizo or a genius.
I can see how most people here are skeptic of his works.

>At least Schmidt and Joyce gave us some proofs of their genius before starting writing those books.
moore has been writing since the 80s and has a number of acclaimed titles to his name. whether or not he's a genius i'll leave for others to decide, but he's clearly established himself as an artist. you don't have to like moore but stop parading your ignorance about him.

mckenna who?

> weeks reading his books

Watchmen, V For Vendetta and From Hell take less than a week altogether, user. They're pretty damn well put together books. So is Jerusalem.

Most people know him as a critically acclaimed author of graphic novels who also dabbles with a lengthy postmodernist novel or two.

His work is great, he may not be a genius in the same way Scmidt ans Joyce were, but he changed the way people look at comics and graphic novels. He is not as subtle with his messages and themes, but his writing is excellent and he can go from sincere and touching to dark and comedic very quickly or as slowly as he wants. I see why diving into a 1k pager is daunting and off putting but patience should he a reader's tool in order to judge a writer with experience.

Joyce wrote Ulysses and Dubliners, Moore wrote The Swamp Thing and Watchmen.

Are the latters 2 good art? Sure. Are they good enough to warrant the belief that Moore is actually able to write successfully (in the same way Schmidt and Joyce did) these kind of books? I don't think so.
When it comes to Finnegan's Wake, I know almost for a fact that you can find something of value behind all of those contextual layers: when it comes to Moore the suspicion that he is just making shit up as he's going is always present.

His graphic novels are very good, but they're not masterpieces, unless you're willing to isolate this art form from every other art form (in such a aesthetic system the best minuet would be as good as the best symphony).
Again, he is a good artist, but he is no Proust.

Terrence Mckenna. He's basically a more metaphysical Alan Watts. All kinds of videos on YouTube set to generic video and audio clips. He was very well read though and offers a lot of interesting excerpts from the literature he liked.

Proust is the foremost example of a lengthy work the greatest part of which holds no content and is only respected second-hand by people who have not experienced it. You would know this and would not refer to Proust if you had any idea what you were talking about.

You're saying his graphic novels cant be considered materpieces wothou isolating them, bit then you only put his works up to standards with Scmidt and Joyce. If you're gonna compare everthing to scmidt an Joyce there's 90% od literature down the toilet.

Moore is ver self aware despite all the mystic hooplah he projects, and he looked up to Joyce and wanted to model Jerusalem after wake and Ulysses, but he is not making things up as he goes, or trying to surpass Joyce. You're looking at this the wrong way if Joyce is the only meter you're using.

If I loved the idea about legend/myth and magic/order in From Hell will I enjoy this book?

i love mckenna. had no idea moore was anything like that. are his comic books too?

its not 3600 pages tho.

I have no clue as I said I haven't read Moore, but a quick look at his videos puts them both in that fringe esoteric category. I have no interest in reading his work.

Yes, there are demons, ghosts, angles and other personified concepta presented in interesting ways.

That's why I've said they're really good.
To say that Moore is no Proust or no Joyce does not mean that he is a hack: it just means that he's not one of the most influential geniuses of the last 100 years. That's not an insult, and I'm fully aware of it.

>You're looking at this the wrong way if Joyce is the only meter you're using.
I'm not the one who used Joyce as an example, I just responded to that guy on why I think Finnegan's Wake does not deserve the same amount of doubt that Jerusalem deserves.
It's not a judgement on the quality of neither of those books, rather it is a consideration about the prior career of these writers and what does said career convey (which, again, is something that stands outside of FN and Jerusalem themselves).

>Are the latters 2 good art? Sure. Are they good enough to warrant the belief that Moore is actually able to write successfully (in the same way Schmidt and Joyce did) these kind of books? I don't think so.
they're enough (in addition to Voice of the Fire) to give you an indication of what you might be in for with Jerusalem. if you read the former and decide you don't think he could pull off something like the latter, fine, but don't pretend he hasn't established his artistry.

holy fucking shit this thread is proof everyone here is a fucking pseud

can't read something until it's canonized by harold bloom you stupid faggots

just read the first couple chapters you worthless slaves, it's gorgeous; better than IJ for sure

yes, but you also said that with Moore you're in the dark about his talent, which is not true, all of his stories are great and they have some amount of depth and structure, varied in themes and levels of culture and content, and he has also written a book (which is almost the same as Jerusalem albeit shorter)

Schimdt and Joyce will Stand the test of time because they changed what novels could be and their influence, Moore will also withstand the test of time because he changed what the comic and graphic novel could do (whether you think comics and graphic novels have literary merit is something else entirely ((and is an unavoidable underlying argument that affects Moore's standing as an artist because they are considered lesser works)), influenced not only pop culture (which Joyce is also doing) And dont forget that Zettels Traum is basically an homage to Poe by Schmidt which if technically speaking, Schmidt far surpasses in skill and merit, but not in influence and timelessness.

This.

A work can stand to be judged by itself, wether the artist has previous success or not. Yes, it can also be dismissed if the artist has a long streak of shit, but Moore doesnt.

>he's not one of the most influential geniuses of the last 100 years
He's most certainly influenced more people in the past 20 years than Joyce has over the whole century, but then again, so has Bob Dylan.

bad b8 m8

Wasn't trying to make you feel bad, just pointing out facts.

WTF are you doing, you're singlehandedly dismantling all the hard work I've put into defending Moore in this thread. I love Moore's work but to say he's been more influential than Joyce is stupid. read more.

What makes you think that was in Moore's defense? And you're overestimating the amount of artists who are familiar with Joyce. I've never met one outside of academia.

So I come to the conclusion that you haven't read Proust?

>3600
is this one of those times you say something stupid on purpose just to get me to reply

>when it comes to Moore the suspicion that he is just making shit up as he's going is always present.
Don't know about his literary works but his comics are some of the most structured pieces I've read. When it comes to stuff like Watchmen, as you read you get the sense that not a word there is that isn't saying something. Even his less structured work like Swamp Thing you know that he has an idea of where this is all going.

its a pretty awful cover to be honest.
Horrible coloring and illustration.
the idea is cool though.

>none of the people shitting on Moore,the book or it's length have read it
Good.Keep it that way, it'd be lost on you

Was Providence a good series? How does it stack up to his other work?

Recently finished it up, I like it quite a bit. The first 10 or so issues end with several pages of prose in which the protagonist recounts what he experienced that issue in the form of diary entries. The contrast between these two segments of Providence really highlights the differences between comic books and literature as artforms, and they complement one another in giving you a fuller picture of what is transpiring. You should read The Courtyard and Neonomicon first, though. The whole sequence is highly recommended for acolytes of Nick Land, as it similarly deals with ideas of chronology-bending, fictions becoming realities, and humanity's inhuman replacement. I suppose this reflects their mutual interest in Lovecraft, around whom the sequence is explicitly based.

does providence have anything to do with the city? also can you confirm other user that he's like terence mckenna?

The protagonist journeys throughout New England and Providence is his final destination. Moore does plenty of psychogeographical theorizing about the area as well.

I've never read McKenna so I can't be certain, but from my impression of him he really has little in common with Moore or Providence specifically. The Courtyard does involve hallucinogenic drugs, but as a means to an end rather than something to be examined in itself.

What are you on about, it's only 1200 pages

I still don't understand why he went for that style on the cover - it has to be a deliberate choice, because some of his other art is much more technically skilful, but as for what he means by it...?

Is the building in the cover arcing with the curve of Earth or is it penis-shaped and stretching up into the sky to meet the horizon?

it's a pool table designed as an optical illusion to suggest a high-rise building, with the intent of conveying that the different "levels" of people are not above or beneath each other but in reality horizontal, equal in the eyes of God

I was actually very curious about this. It has haunted me since I first saw the cover. Thank you for your posting .

Dubs confirms Alan Moore has been hexed and flexed by sigil magic.

Don't buy it. Don't read it. I'm not going to. Plebs will buy that shit because of the name alone, let capitalism happen.

>hexed and flexed by sigil magic.
lmao

Projecting. You sound insecure as fuck, what are you hiding?

He drew the cover himself, didn't he? That or he got a family friend to do it.

It makes sense though, given that the book is about a local artist's vision, and a vision that would probably never be appreciated by anyone who didn't grow up within a few blocks of Northampton. Remember the art show chapter at the end? All her work probably looked like that, but her pieces had meaning because of the intimacy of the subject matter.

What am I projecting, exactly, herr doktorr??

Yeah it's awful. I think he drew it himself.

You buy books or other products based on the name of the author alone, and you're a capitalist pig. OINK OINK OINK PIGGY.

l 2 read, mcnugget. I said plebs will buy it, or not. And if they do, it will be largely because they recognize the name and "wow what a thick book lol." OP is dumb for complaining about a book he hasn't even bought or read, and you are illiterate. The book's success will happen, or not, in a capitalist system without OP's approval or disapproval.

Go slob your Marxist professor's johnson, you unwashed gutter snipe.

>l 2 read
>didnt read the book

the state of this board.

>the state of this board.

>no capitalization
>sentence fragment

jesus take the Veeky Forums wheel

No, I know it's his own art, but his art in other places is different - the Glycon I posted is his too, and it's much more detailed. That said the "pool table" explanation () makes a lot of sense now that I think about it, given some of the angel chapters.

The irony here is that Moore himself is deeply dubious about capitalism, and likely doesn't care whether you actually buy the book as long as you read and think about it.

But I'm not going to read or think about it because Moore sucks. Commie user assumed I wasn't buying it because of the name on the cover. Not true! I don't like Moore's style, and refuse to trudge through 1266 pages of it. There's nothing of literary merit in there, anyway.

pleb night tonight?

>But I'm not going to read or think about it
Go haunt another thread then loser ghost.

It isn't 3600 pages, it's 1300. Arrived today.

>Go haunt another thread then loser ghost.

No u. This is a Moore hate thread.

>Is this nigger serious? I ain't reading this shit.

>pleb who can't into Jerusalem also posts anime pictures
Hands up who's fucking surprised

I like anime and Alan Moore probably does too. He's like British Hideaki Anno.

Jerusalem trips

I opened it in Calibre and it said 3600 pages.

>implying two of the primary Magicians of our age use weak bullshit like sigil magic

That's Vol 1, I think. I was in a bookstore and they had a boxed set of that and two other books that also said Jerusalem on them. Retailing at about £25.

go back and read Grant Morrison in the 90s, pleb. Listen to his (commencement?) speech on YouTube. Look up POP! Magic. Invisibles was a conduit for sigil energy.

Just because Morrison sells piss magic to the masses doesn't mean its what he uses in his battles megapleb, use your fucking brain.

I'm about 1/2 way through. Unfairly I read it straight after Ulysses & frankly it doesn't compare. I'm a fan of Moore's comics & have been enjoying Providence, which I think is also better. That being said, Jeruselum has had some excellent section so far. Overall I think it's good that Moore has pushed himself to try something like this.

desu you sound like an agent of illusion. if you had actually read morrison's work you'd know how he uses capitalism and the press to propagate these beliefs. but you're just a pretender, calling people megaplebs. go and stay go, demon.

Pic related. Jordan Peterson PhD says clean your room.

Brekkek, but Morrison is an actual capitalist pseud

There's a one-volume hardcover and a three-volume paperback set (with photo covers, if that matters to you)

>You're not talking about a generic novelist: you're talking about a guy who only releases extremely long, abstruse, borderline incomprehensible books.

have you just invented an imaginary alan moore based solely on the pagecount of this book, which is completely unlike all his other work? because actual alan moore is famous for writing hundreds of comic books, tons of which are brief and light adventure/superhero stories, single guest issues in other people's series and so on. 99% of his work came out as tiny 22-page single issues, mostly standalone stories or short arcs of 2-3 issues, making him almost exclusively a short story writer. his work only turns into giant tomes because years of output get released in collected editions.

Maybe that's what I saw then.

But it's not 3600 pages long, and it's not incomprehensible. If anything, he spells out too much, the epilogue is literally a recap of every chapter with the symbolism explained

So was Goethe and Beethoven: does it matter?
Although I'm not a real fan of his career in general (most of his works are rather derivative: 2 pages are enough to understand where he is coming from and what the graphic novel will look like), still The Invisibles is one of the artistic peaks of this art form.
He should get credit for it, for he is one of those few names that riabilitates this entire medium.

Those photos are in the hardcover too

>yfw

I didn't figure it out until I was over halfway through, I glimsed the flower on the inside jacket and did a double take

Anyone have a .pdf?

>.pdf
why
why
why
why
ebooks are better

I feel like this postmodern, linguistic take on the occult is very much a dated thing now, like this post-War countercultural approach between Leary, Genesis P-Orridge, Chaos Magic, Alan Moore, Philip K. Dick, Robert Anton Wilson, etc., but it's fucking bullshit and boring at this point.

It's all this "it's all perception / words, man", very much of the linguistic turn. That shit is over. And even on an occult study level, if you actually read up on the occult it's not at all based just at the level of words and "fictions"; that's a totally cynical, postmodern reading based in the premise there is no real. But then if you learn the art of mindfuck and get into some mind matches with a pretender you can easily see that someone merely saying or wanting something isn't enough. Like, say, if you eat nothing but junk food every day, but then continually "magically" tell yourself of an opponent "huh huh, my opponent is eating junk food", your words / thoughts do nothing to change the reality that, no, you are the one gorging yourself on junkfood and damaging your health.

This postmodern obsession with words / fictions / narratives is over. Good fucking riddance. Sure there are some weaker intellectuals and critics still basing their views in outdated postmodern politics, but they're still invested in a dying movement, and there are actual psychic and physical consequences to thinking and acting in that false paradigm. Derrida, Baudrillard, Foucault... they were WRONG.

What am I looking at?

woah...so this...is the power...of post-modernism...

Ironically, declaring repeatedly that something is "over" doesn't actually mean it is either

i only read ebooks when they're out of order photos taken in a dim room by a spasming epileptic

It can do. For instance, I declare that this sentence is over.

>obsession with words / fictions / narratives is over

fuck yes finally books will be all about punctuation

>For instance, I declare that this sentence is over but it's not.

see, you failed, the sentence wasn't over at all.

The main character of the book.

.epub or anything else would work lmao, I just couldn't find it on bookzz

In the twenty first century, simply the act of concentrating on a single thing is difficult. When the author writes in this way, he forces you to pay attention and moves you to a higher state of consciousness. This is a consciousness of focus, awareness, and gives you the ability to hold multiple complicated things in your mind at once.

The slipcase edition does have 3 paperback volumes, this one is hardcover and has the 3 volumes in it.

I'm just here to say that you faggots don't have to dismiss him as shit just because his book is too big and not canonical enough to warrant your time, you can just read A Voice of Fire, which deals with (allegedly, I haven't read Jerusalem yet) similar themes and is also prose.

Also, I have a series of problems with Moore, but to call him a hack I'd have to be absolutely retarded. If From Hell was a proper book and not a comic, it would become memed to infinity on Veeky Forums.

Sure, but there is also enough substantial evidence around us by now to realize that the Linguistic Turn / poststructualism is old hat.

It may be the status quo in Humantities departments, and it still informs the general tone and politics of the media, but that's partly what demonstrates just how establishment and over it is.

All that hasn't been relevant since the 90s, when it finally really took over. Even by then, the most interesting people were trying to find a way out.

And I'm not suggesting that the answer is some Neclassicism or Nu-modernism or something. But it should be clear that that whole Robert Anton Wilson-y "it's all in your miiiiiind" thing died in the late 90s.

Which is odd because that's when we all really went online, right? And yet it's like reality turned out to have spilled online, as weird and mutant as online life even is. Online life expanded reality, but it didn't replace it.