You know the drill Veeky Forums, post them questions

You know the drill Veeky Forums, post them questions

What did he mean by this?

1. I'm horrible at cooking squid / cuttlefish. How do you tell when they're done? I usually overcook them to be safe. Don't want medium rare squid.

2. Any suggestions on savoury dishes with meat + fruits in em? So far the only dish I know is carribean curry that has either mango / pineapple / pumpkin in it.

What the fuck do I do with coriander besides garnish? Is pesto a good idea?

>Any suggestions on savoury dishes with meat + fruits in em? So far the only dish I know is carribean curry that has either mango / pineapple / pumpkin in it.
cinnamon/brown sugar apples and glaze go great with pork chops

I reccomend just not doing either of those

Monte Cristo sandwich with raspberry preserves

1. I think that you have to cook cuttlefish either just enough (like quick stirfry/fry) or a fuckton (in sauce). Anything between the two is rubber.

2. Duck magret (breast) goes great with fruits, especially mango and figs. Sear your breast (the duck's, not yours), and cook the fruits in the same pan to have them absorb the good fat and juices.

Stop ruining Veeky Forums with pseudo-generals like this. It funnels interesting questions into a single thread that no on wants to read.

>It funnels interesting questions
You mean those elusive interesting questions that maybe one day could get asked.

Blend it up with some oil and coat a chicken in it before baking. It also makes a great salsa or try cilantro lime rice.

I'd rather 20 threads like "red or white onions Veeky Forums?" or "is it ok to serve soup with a spork" than a topicless, purposeless, bloated general like this.

Look at , 2 questions that could have become interesting threads were sent here to die.

>2. Duck magret (breast) goes great with fruits, especially mango and figs. Sear your breast (the duck's, not yours), and cook the fruits in the same pan to have them absorb the good fat and juices.
This sounds good. Going to do this.
At least it's not a sip thread

Those types of threads you mentioned are the ones that bloat the board.

>At least it's not a sip thread
I always just glanced over them, but they're even linking to previous threads. Once they add a pastebin, the general infection should really start spreading here.

>I'd rather 20 threads like "red or white onions Veeky Forums?" or "is it ok to serve soup with a spork" than a topicless, purposeless, bloated general like this.
>Look at #, 2 questions that could have become interesting threads were sent here to die
Whats it like being retarded?

Nothing is preventing someone from posting a question that was mentioned itt as a thread topic later, tard.

How do I steam hams?

I never understood that picture

Qataris That Don't Drive Their Own Transport?

1. Apart from nutmeg & pepper, what spices are worth the expense and trouble to buy whole as a payoff?
2. If I were buying a mortar & pestle does it matter what it's made of?

all of indian cuisine

Chickpeas or red lentil salad with chopped red onion, a ton of coriander and olive oil/lemon juice/salt/pepper/any mediterranean spice dressing

What's with Japan and serving fucking everything raw or deep fried?
Are some people seriously unable to cook rice without a rice cooker?
Who the fuck has cheese pizza? I get that picky kids don't want vegetables but pepperoni, really? It's salty fatty and slightly taste of meat.

where can i buy garam masala? my international market (asian/latino combo) didn't have it

Garam masala is mainstream enough to be in regular white people stores here.

Lots of stuff cooked in other ways in Japan too. Skewers, barbecue, steak, boiled slices of meat, grilled fish...

1. Where the fuck you got your idea of Japanese food from? There's curry, stir fries, salt grilled, broths, etc.

2. Probably. Why does it bother you though?

How do I not become a faggot as OP?
Asking for a friend

I'm trying to make/invent some simple sauces to use with veggies, but more often than not they turn out rather lacking, and I'm not sure how to improve that. The only time it works is when I use stock, but that defines the taste so much it leaves little room to play with.

For example, just now I made a sauce starting out with a blonde roux, vegetable juice (mix of tomatoes, carrots, selery, and more), soy sauce, garlic & onion powder and salt and pepper. It smells very good and a first bite has a pretty good & strong taste, but the taste evaporates almost instantly in my mouth. As if I took a bite of air. I tried adding curry powder and more salt, but it didn't change the problem that the taste didn't last.

Any tips? Simple recipes to start with maybe?

he's running away from a bull and he dropped his pizza

What's the best way to microwave a Digorno?

Keep your ass corked with a lime. This will prevent any dicks from entering and infecting you.

Can I pickle eggs in a jar of pickles that I ate?

a lot of tagines have dried fruit in them, maybe have a look at those

Not recommended. You put yourself at risk for botulism because reusing brine to pickle foods lowers the ph.

Is it possible to make peanut butter without the use of food processor/mixers/etc?

First bite? Are you eating sauce by itself? I thought the idea of a sauce was to accentuate another item.

It sounds like what you're really after is soup.

best technique for skinning mushrooms?

that handwriting is disgusting

What's the quickest way to make my farts smell worse?

What do I need to consume to make my poop purple?

Yes with a mortar & pestle.

Beets. Also beets.

Easy savory dishes with yams/sweet potatoes as the main attraction?

Roasted root vegetables.

Completely out of any sort of context, can a dish ever be politically incorrect?

Why can't Veeky Forums fuck off back to their own board? It's easy to point out crossposters and they actively make the board worse.

Rosemary chicken thighs with sweet taters

Normal stores. McCormick makes garam masala.

Protein.
Lots of protein
Get some whey powder and FOUR SCOOPs that badboy into your shakes.
What will come out of you ass is technically a war crime

>doesn't even put QTDDTOT in the subject or comment
>makes it impossible to search in the catalog
END YOURSELF

Eat a bag of pork rinds

newcu/ck/ here
How do you fags go about cooking new foods? Most recipes I see seem all gimmicky and have ingredients that I never heard of?
Also, it takes me ages to make food. Why the fuck do I take so long to make something? It feels like it takes an hour to two.

I brined my chicken breasts in jalapeño juice for 24 hours and nothing happened flavorwise. How do I make a good chicken seasoning?

You’re probably cooking it wrong. Chicken breasts should only take about 15 minutes to cook.

Wrong reply?

ptddtop

To add onto my questions. How do I actually get good at cooking? I remember all the times I try cooking something new, it tastes absolutely horrible.

>How do you tell when they're done?
squid either take one minute or one hour; anywhere in between is gonna be rubber. It's gonna be an appearance and feel thing.
>savoury dishes with meat + fruits in em?
stuffing with apple or dried fruit is always good. try a fruity sauce like a blackberry wine reduction. Pork and apples or pears fried in butter is a classic and very good.

Make a jalapeno paste and stuff the breast?
Or at least coat the outside

1. Cardamom pods and allspice are the only things I can think of

2. I don't think so, my wooden one works just as well as my marble one

I've had some uncooked chicken the the fridge for like 3 or so weeks. The "freeze by" date on the packaging is 9/7/2017. Are they still good to cook and use in a burrito? How long is uncooked chicken good for in the refrigerator?

Also, what's some good general reading for people new to cooking?

I've been cooking a salmon steak for hours and it's still pink in the middle, anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

What temp? How often are you checking?

Is it racist to yell out "drop chicken strips" every time a group of blacks comes in to the store?

t. Fast food manager

Yes, but also a statistically smart decision, so I don't know why you should care. A bit of fact based racism makes everything more efficient.

What is the tastiest way to cook ham hock.

Mortar & pestles are better suited for different tasks depending on the material they're made of. If you want to grind whole herbs and spices I recommend a cast iron one, or granite. Those are able to catch smoother things you might want to pummel. For anything else marble or ceramic will work fine but wooden ones tend to absorb odors.

Vegetarianfag here, are egg noodles a good protein source? I really like them

woops
which? im pondering buying the haribo but ive never tried it.

Its a stereotype not racism

steaming veggies should i use cover on it??

Unless you want to turn your kitchen into a sauna, I'd say yes.

Many recipes you find on the internet feature exotic ingredients because the publisher/author of the recipe needs something to get the attention of readers.

thanks. came out nice

what like putting watermelon and fried chicken on the same plate

What's the difference between roasting and baking?

You bake a cake (from batter to solid) but you roast a chicken (already solid).

Same problem here. I want to blame my lacking kitchen, but that should be the difference between good or great, not bad or great.

What I'd love to know most myself is how/when to substitute/leave out stuff. It seems like something that comes from either experience and/or being taught, but not from books or recipes from internet, which are generally strict. F.e. some recipe calls for some obscure vinegar, which I just don't have. However, I do have white and balsamic vinegar (or perhaps a lemon). I tend to substitute, because that's what the cooks on videos/tv make seem so easy: "we don't have A, so we'll just use B, it doesn't really matter". Somehow they do seem to know that B makes a good substitute, and not grab C.

I don't know, I don't even car about becoming some great cook, but I feel like I'm on a plateau far below mediocre now.

>"we don't have A, so we'll just use B, it doesn't really matter".

That comes with experience. A new cook looks at a recipe and sees an exact blueprint. An experience cook sees the basic trend & knows how to make variations on that.

For example, let's say you read a recipe and it says:
>dip the chicken in flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a pan then cook the chicken for 3 min on both sides
A noob sees details. An experienced cook sees: "oh, I'm just breading the chicken and frying it"....and then realizes that any variation on frying would be suitable to proceed with later in the dish.

If you aren't sure about substitutions then you can look them up. To use your example, let's say your recipe calls for an obscure vinegar and you want to sub something else. You can google the obscure one, learn what it's general characteristics are, and then pick something that's similar.

....or you can take the effort to buy the obscure vinegar and then you'll learn first-hand what's different about it.

Well that's just stupid. Why are you going to risk sogging up fried chicken? Honestly though, who the fuck wouldn't take up an offer of those two things on a summer day.

No.
Watch cooking shows.

Wrong. By that definition since bread dough is a solid, not a batter, we "roast" bread.

>....or you can take the effort to buy the obscure vinegar.
Yup, I do tend to do that (when I can find it). I like having all kinds of stuff anyway, although I barely have room left in my cabinets atm. This can become a whole other story though. Like when I needed teriyaki sauce for a recipe. The store had about 10 different kinds/brands. I just picked one, made the food (a teriyaki burger) and it just tasted.. wrong. No clue what could've been the cause, because I followed the recipe to the letter, so I wondered if my brand was just crap.

Come to think of it, it might just be that I don't have the balls to keep trying. I should just try it again with a different brand (I just hate having to throw away stuff), see if that makes a difference, otherwise change something else.

Bread dough doesn't hold its structure until after its cooked though. That's still baking.

But low pH protects from botulism, what's your point?

what is vinegar used besides salads and desserts. is it worth to get?

I think his point is that the vegetables leech water into the brine diluting it over time, I guess theoretically to the point where it might not be as acidic as it needs to be to prevent pathogens frim reproducing.

It can be used in a plenty more things than just salads and deserts, and can really bring a dish to life, but you may want to be careful with just buying some, because there are different kinds with different uses. White vinegar, for example, may seem like a good "generic" vinegar, but it's one of more harsh and can ruin a dish if used wrong (talking from experience). Balsamic and Apple cider have a more sweet & fruity flavor. You can also go even sweeter & milder with rice vinegar, or even raspberry vinegar.

I'm not remotely an expert though, I've just been figuring this shit out myself. I can say I like balsamic a lot though. It's almost good to drink by itself. Just don't buy it just to have some at home, first figure out if you'll actually use it. Although it doesn't seem to go bad either. I've got a balsamic here (I got 5 bottles for free once) that is 3 years past "expiration", but still tastes as good as brand new.

My cream cheese turned into something that looks like cottage cheese.

It's still good right? The texture is just weird.

Picked up 3x of these 10oz Lodge cast iron dishes.

Any dish suggestions?

Think before you speak

I did. That's why I was able to prove his assertion wrong by showing what logically followed from it.

Only he's right.

I mispoke and I'm a faggot. Doing so would lower the acdity, not the pH.

ty. yeah ive read lotsa dishes have applevinevinegar but maybe ill buy some balsamic for the pantry

Pommes Boulangère x 3 lad