I'm trying to write a book that will appeal to the largest US demographic possible

I'm trying to write a book that will appeal to the largest US demographic possible.

First: it will be a Kindle ebook, so it needs to be tailored to the Kindle's userbase.

Looks like Southerners and Midwesterners are not my main target market.

So first, I need something that appeals to the middle of the road female Starbucksy twentysomething college graduate from California or the East Coast north of DC.

It needs to be genre fiction, because that is what sells. Female protagonist. Romance sells very well, and younger women are open to it due to Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey.

I think some kind of paranormal book in a contemporary setting, because contemporary settings require very little imagination to understand or care about. Hence the popularity of Zombie Apocalypse stuff, which is essentially "the floor is lava" for adults.

I'm on the fence about how central the romance should be. Should it be romance that develops as a result of fighting monsters together, or between the human woman and the semi-monstrous Mr Handsome? I'm not sure if I want to alienate male readers entirely by having the protag fall in love with a serial killer with high cheekbones, but on the other hand, men are scrubs who don't buy many ebooks.

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

didnt read lol

Capitalism was a mistake

geographical distribution isn't as good as an estimator as you think; most people in the US live in the suburbs, which not differ that much across the country except for the occasional climate (and even though, as most people travel in their vacations it's not hard to imagine the cold of new york or the hot summers in louisiana). you should check the nyt best sellers list, even though you'll probably find young adult is the biggest demography.

>that shitty R squared

>Implying a trend using that data

It's cultural as much as climatic.

Basically, I will be writing a novel for people who like John Green and Twitter, except it will be less chatty and socially acceptable because it deals with things they pretend not to want, portrayed in thinly veiled metaphors.

Setting is mostly irrelevant here, but I need something that is relatable to these coastals but not too specific. Orange County and Manhattan are both well outside of my experience, and one extreme might alienate the residents of the other.

The object is to make everything as relatable and identifiable as possible for the target audience, so that their in-story avatars can have their "the floor is lava" game.

Based on my limited knowledge, I think northern California is possibly the most culturally generic location in the United States.

It avoids the canned fruit stigma of the Midwest, the racial tension and low target audiences of the South, the ethnic ghettoes of the big cities. It's low enough in population to be relatable to midwesterners, but also "coastal" enough in culture to reassure the main target audience. Lack of history makes it new and generic; very much like a highschooler, in fact. No baggage.

Man, whatever. I don't use a unified model, I just cobbled together my understanding based on unrelated studies. My understanding is that kindles and recreational reading are more common among the educated and middle class, and that there is more of both on the coasts, and also more colleges where target-market young women congregate in large numbers.

Northern California resident here (Sonoma County), culturally I guess it's just as "generic" as any medium to low density area along the coasts, what makes it more generic and uncontroversial as a plac..... fuck you are right... it's pretty beautiful nature wise though

I will say the whole "wine culture" around here is pretty distinct and can turn people off for being pretentious. How far north are we talking? Like Redding and Eureka? There is a big drug "millennial bohemian" thing going on up there with some serious rednecks that wouldn't be out of place in places in the south

If this is what I think it is, then good for you. This is some deliciously subtle bait, and I hope you keep it up.

R^2 is 0.11, that's basically not a correlation at all. There might be something interesting to say about those outliers, but making decisions based on something that close to random is just innumeracy.

I came here to say that too. I can only assume this is next level trolling. Or OP is a faggot.

Kek'd when I noticed it

Do you really need this thread to figure out how to write a cash grab?

>.11

North of San Francisco, which is a city in California that I know the name of.

The actual location is purely utilitarian. I need somewhere relatively clean cut but not too colorful, so that the setting remains firmly in the background. So "Northern California" mostly translates to "not SF or LA or desert, and there is standard issue greenery and not much in the way of gaping historical wounds."

I want it to be a "City of Townsville" type of generic town, so I'm not sure I'll base it on any real place. I suppose an impressive scenic spot might become a background to a scene where emotional content is inserted.

I'm overthinking this, but since this is about getting a small income so that I can support work on my serious books, I have to bring in analysis as a substitute for imagination. I'll probably use Google Street View as a source for scenery descriptions.

Wine: do deliquents drink boxed wine? This is probably the only piece of authentic local color that might make it into this potboiler of mine.

I'm being blunt and ironical to make light of the hideous practicality and necessity behind this work.

I grabbed those five minutes before making the thread to get people in a statistical mood.

It's good to rap things out, and I'm bringing to light an unfortunate trend in hack writing, in my own self-sabotaging way.

I thought you were doing something else. Good job regardless ;*)

You need to write a book about a female main character (drab and boring) getting raped by a handsome, wealthy man. Women lap that shit up, trust me

I can't tell I should hate OP or set him as a role model.

Ropo here, where in Sonoma?

It's about as subtle as a car crash.
But the people it's baiting wouldn't be on Veeky Forums.

I can't entirely agree. There is yet another kind of people that this baits, me being this type.

kek

It's just a bunch of random dots with a line drawn through them