What separates people who go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge from those who don't?

What separates people who go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge from those who don't?

Are they just naturally smarter? Do they work harder? What is it?

Also,at every place I've worked at the Oxford and Cambridge graduates are subconsciously treated better than those who aren't. E.g. being asked on their opinions more often.

>mfw forever second place

>mfw forever second place
Which uni?

dont ask me im a brainlet

>What separates people who go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge from those who don't?
Application. You don't go to Harvard, Oxford, or Cambridge unless you apply.

A middling uni. I mean it's a Russell Group which is decent for 95% of people but middling in the eyes of an Oxford or Cambridge graduate.

For some people it's a combination of both naturally. For other people it's rich parents and privileged opportunities.
On a side note, it's always kind of hilarious to see a professor's undergraduate education be emphasized just because it was from MIT or Harvard.

Hi John

>What separates people who go to Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge from those who don't?

You're much more likely to be a charity case for being non-white or whatever if you go to any of these places.

$

Intelligence and luck in other circumstances of life.

I am in a similar situation. Luckily, I was choosing between cs in Oxbridge and maths&stats in warwick and dogged a cs meme bullet.
On the one hand, I have a lower chance of failing, on the other I won't be able to put Oxbridge education on my cv tho.

(((nepotism)))

Being non-white and a woman.
If you're not white you're more likely to be accepted from affirmative action.

These days, there's pretty much two groups: ideologues and people who are genuinely trying to learn.
If you want to get into these Ivy League schools, you have to be a minority, a rich kid or a fucking Mensa candidate.

Go through this data with an open mind.

So I'm guessing most Veeky Forums users apply to Ivy League schools and don't get in then blame affirmative action right? Because I swear to God, This shit is depressing and hilarious at the same time. You're very unlikely to get into Harvard or any top school if you're black for many reasons. Did something happen to you?

If I'm as smart as a black person and we both apply to harvard, he's getting in over me every single time.
Fuck off

Not having access to the best careers service and alumni network in the world. You fucked it.

Lets say that as an r9k posted I havent lost much.

The cambridge grad in my office does fuck all because he stayed in engineering.

Moving to project management put's you in the room with the directors and presidents of the company, they don't even know he exists.

What you don't account for when making those decisions is the feeling of inferiority you get when working shoulder to shoulder with oxbridge graduates in the future.

>everyone is as insecure as me

>What you don't account for when making those decisions is the feeling of inferiority you get when working shoulder to shoulder with non-virgins in the future.
I partially dont care about it and partially accept it.

You guys are fucking obsessed with iq and ivy league and other prestige type shit. Its terrible for your mental health and is probably why youre a neet instead of doing something productive

Not hating, just pointing it out

I'm not a neet, I work in a Big 4.

Lol @ these brainlets.
I got into cambridge for an msc with an open university bsc.

Durham lol?

I've compared what Cambridge Tripos does in one term and compared it to what I do in a year and they do MORE, it's embarrasing.

They literally have a 4th year class that goes over chapters 2&3 of Hartshorne, and another that requires the knowledge of chapters 4&5 as a prereq.

I've got an interview at Oxford soon for math PhD. What do I say when I get asked "why Oxford"? etc

To post smug anime girls on sci ofc.

Only really matters if you stay in the UK/US and work outside of academia.

If you go into research, no one gives a shit where you did your work, just the content. Hell it's probably more impressive if you did something good at a shitty institution where you had to work harder to get things to happen.

be jewish

I'm not good enough to do STEP exams for maths so I'm looking to go to Lancaster instead. Are there any Veeky Forums posters at the red rose?

This. All this shit is just pointless peen measuring contests to make yourself feel miserable. There is always going to be someone smarter and more accomplished than you.

Just focus on doing good work, while you still can. It does not matter what other people are doing. That is all beyond your control.

People who check "jewish" on their application under the race section

Or black.

they have loads of money

this
so basicaally this toolol

lol this is true althouhg if you are there you are making sure to be along actually inteligent people that will discover something because they are actually pasionate and can think

daddys money

There is really no difference.

If you have the grades, and the school is a good fit for you, it's all a crap shoot.

Those top schools could literally replace everyone they admit with the immediate next group of those whom they did not and see no decline whatsoever.

Once you get your foot in the door with good enough grades, and a kick ass personal statement ( Don't be a boring asshole ) then it's all luck.

cheers.

>implying he would blame it on affirmative action
No, he was just stating a fact.

Nice job making this same thread on pol. Anyways anybody studying in manchester here? Is it worth it against doing my bachelors in my home country in a relatively good uni for free?

Could be worse, had a breakdown over a girl and lost an easy in to Birmingham to be stuck with Mech Eng. at leicester.
On the plus side its got a good year in industry support and it's better than DMUs glorified technician's degree.