Brainlet here. Please explain why pic related is such a big deal...

Brainlet here. Please explain why pic related is such a big deal. Also please point me in the right direction to cool things to read about what’s happening in space exploration these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uWjdnvYok4I?t=4m
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because disposable rockets are more expensive.
And building things by goverment is more expensive

So if you switch from a goverment disposable rocket to a private company reusable one, you get a dramatic reduction in the cost of getting things to orbit (the hardest part of space travel)

so it opens a new world of opportunities

Which world is that? The moon?

no, literally all of the planets. Imagine a 100x reduction of space flight. Meaning that for the same price america sent say... the casini mission they oculd have sent 100 cassini missions, say about 10 to every planet. Hell, every non starving country could affoard to sent one space probe of their own. Nasa could do a mars mission with their current budget, or hold a base on the moon maybe both. Asteroid mining could become profitable and there are a myriad of industrial proceses and discoveries that could get sparked by this, theres no way to tell waht will really happen but if history taught as anything is that these kind of scale changes tend to be qualitative apart from quantitative

2nd most powerful successful launch system, and its mostly reusable

is this the most powerful rocket ever other than energia shuttle and saturn V?

Does this alter how quickly normal humans will be able to go to space? (Not astronauts, I mean)

if by normal humans you mean people with a net worth of a couple hundred million dollars then yes. that probably is a reality within the next decade.

if you mean like, middle class dude selling his home and going to mars like musk said, that seems more like at least 50 years away

I didn't necessarily mean to Mars, but maybe to some orbiting station.

same shit. Most expensive part of any space travel by far is getting to orbit

$720 million to send the probe to Pluto.

MOST of that was the rocketry I do believe. Which is now 10x cheaper.

So for the price of 1bn instead of 1-2 missions you can now do 5-10+ missions...and manned missions...and build space stations etc...

With the Heavy, your primary cost is now developing the payload instead of paying for the flight.

youtu.be/uWjdnvYok4I?t=4m

You can also put much more fuel in space meaning your probes can actually accelerate on rocket engines not just gravity.

And how does this benefit me? I already have gps and have all the platinum i need.

second after saturn v

>
>
> (OP)
>$720 million to send the probe to Pluto.
>MOST of that was the rocketry I do believe. Which is now 10x cheaper.
>So for the price of 1bn instead of 1-2 missions you can now do 5-10+ missions...and manned missions...and build space stations etc...
>With the Heavy, your primary cost is now developing the payload instead of paying for the flight.
>>>
> Anonymous 02/08/18(Thu)00:14:15 No.9499116▶
> (You)
>
>youtu.be/uWjdnvYok4I?t=4m
it's more powerful than both the american and soviet shuttles??

HOW DOES IT BENEFIT ANYONE?!!!

call me when someone builds spaceship propelled by nuclear bombs

>rockets are on the edge of our engineering ability to even make
>because they're 85% liquid content by mass
>like a beverage container
>soda cans are basically impossible and can only be made by NASA

We enter a new space age. Jobs are created. New fields for technological advancements open up, which affect progress in parallel fields. Increase in obtainable property. Increase in raw materials that doesnt involve dipping from Earths natural resources. Species survives if Earth dies. Eventually we move toward contacting other space-faring species and trading with them. We gather more useful knowlege about reality.

Ah! To be so young and idealistic!

And stone fucking ignorant.

Just analyse the benefits of colonialism and increase them exponentially

Pic related is a big deal for normies because "DUDE BIG ROCKET LMAO" and the cost of space goes down.

It is a big deal in reality because 27 Engines has never been successfully done before.

>Inb4 Russian "engines"

This combined with the reusability, another feat never been done before outside of Falcon, means that BFR is going to be way fucking easier. BFR being single stack with just two stages, even though it has almost twice as many engines is far easier to engineer and design. This is why Musk has said that as of right now they arent going to certify FH for human missions and just focus on BFR. Block 5 is almost done, and as soon as that wraps up nearly all SpaceX employees and assets can be dedicated to the construction of BFR. They are moving so fast that Elon said they already ordered tooling and that they broke ground on the factory. Although no one is sure where it is. Most assume Texas because that is where Musk wants the BFG tests done for the shuttle portion of the rocket.

This is huge. And for once makes it seem like Musk's predictions might actually be relatively on time. Thanks in part to their scaling back of the size, and the previously unanticipated ease of design and construction.

So it's a big deal because it means BFR is far closer than we might have originally thought.

Nope, if you talk in term of thrust it’s N1>Saturn 5> Space shuttle > Energia > Falcon heavy

In term of useful payload Saturn 5> N1=Energia>FH> Shuttle

Imagine if instead of landing, planes dropped their passengers out with parachutes and then crashed into the sea. What would the costs of air flight be?

I mean, can you really put N1 on there since it never actually launched successfully?

Listen to astronomy cast

The free market is finally going to start opening up space, maybe your children will be able to go but not you.

I want his post to be true...

>50 years passed
>nobody yet able to beat NASA's saturn V launch for half a fucking century
>redditX sheep jerking off anyway
thats tldr for you

Did anything come of that ejectable passenger cabin thing with planes? Like if a plane is going down the cabins can eject and go down with parachutes?

BFR will :)

It may not have made orbit but it did put out that much thrust.

Satellites age and need to be replaced, and new satellites for new services are always being developed.

Satellites are vital not only for GPS, but also for weather and climate monitoring (benefiting you through the maintenance of agriculture, feeding you) and military purposes (benefiting you through enhancement of national security), scientific research (benefiting you through the development of new technologies) and many other things. There's also space stations to consider, which can be used to conduct scientific research (benefiting human knowledge on Earth) or facilitate exploration beyond Earth orbit within the solar system (benefiting human knowledge on Earth with further scientific research potential as well as facilitating attempts at colonisation of the Moon and Mars later on).

The Falcon Heavy's success dramatically reduces the cost of putting super-heavy payloads (read: space station modules and large numbers of satellites) into orbit.

It benefits you the same way some random faggot in alexandria playing with steam more than 4 thousand years ago benefitted people who where alive during the invention of trains.
In other words not everything is about you
nobody cares about you
kill yourself

There's a couple of reasons why.
We didn't need anything with that much life capability, seeing we weren't going to the Moon or beyond with crews.
The Saturn V wasn't the most efficient relative to the boosters we have now and it needed to make up for that to lift those payloads to the Moon.

>Also please point me in the right direction to cool things to read about what’s happening in space exploration these days.

nasaspaceflight.com

spacenews.com

>Although no one is sure where it is.
there's no fucking way he can keep something like this hidde

Wernher von Braun died, that's the problem. Nobody knows the occult space-nazi rituals anymore.

On a side note, why do you Americans overreact at everything? It's like listening to the spectators during superbowl.

NASA had 4.5% budget back then. That's 2x more than most countries spend on armies.

This is the entire point of SpaceX and BO. To make space profitable so another race starts.

Great post.

Y-yeah, my children haha any time now.

spathe real

>muh free market
... is as mythical as muh Flat Earth.

>On a side note, why are Americans the only ones who do anything?
FTFY

No one on the regular places knows where it is. We just know it's being built, and that's it.

>your primary cost is now developing the payload instead of paying for the flight.
I never realized that.

>Nobody knows the occult space-nazi rituals anymore.
I've spent enough time on Richard C. Hoagland's website as a teen to know that's bullshit.